Author Topic: Gluten Free breakfast ideas- Just getting started  (Read 1358 times)

Offline ~S~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Gluten Free breakfast ideas- Just getting started
« on: June 07, 2007, 22:11:45 pm »
My lo has a skin condition, that was actually pointed out to me on this board, that gluten free diet is supposed to help.  I have the same skin problems and more and have recently been diagnosed with FMS, I have read that gluten free can help with that as well (the symptoms).  So we are going to start, but it is overwhelming to me (brain fog).  By the way lo is sensitive to corn, apples and strawberries and possibly oats.  Does anyone have advice, or a couple of recipes that they have found really helpful?  I would really appreciate the advice.
TIA,
S
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 22:14:09 pm by ~S~ »
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: Gluten Free breakfast ideas- Just getting started
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 06:11:35 am »
my youngest has loads of intolerance's too.can your lo have egg?i make eggy bread with her special bread and she loves it.omelette's too are nice....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:59:35 am »
When my son would eat a small variety of foods we used to give him barkat organic porridge. This is gluten free and does not actually contain oats. We used to make it with neocate but as you have not mentioned an allergy/intolerance to dairy then you will be able to use milk. It might be nice with some maple syrup on if your lo is ok with that.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ~S~

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 16:09:35 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  Yes my lo loves eggs.  What is "eggy bread" not familiar with it?  Is it like french toast or where you cut out the middle of the bread and put the egg in the middle?  I will try it if you could tell me how to do it.  Is Barkat a type of grain?  I am from the U.S., so maybe these foods are not prominent here.  I have a suspicion that cows mild doesn't agree with her.  Until lately she didn't drink it, just other dairy foods.  When she was just starting to have dairy, if she ate much or certain dairy she would spit up really bad after I thought that she had grown out of spitting up.  And I have wondered if dairy is another factor with her skin.  So I bought Almond , Rice and Hazelnut milks.  Have just read the Almond mild says that it may have traces of gluten.  Now what? 

Also her poop is not solid, it is more like bf baby.  Could this be gluten related?

Thanks again,
S
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 16:45:00 pm »
my lo is milk/soya/wheat/fruit and some veg intollerant.eggy bread is french toast ,just a beaten up egg  with the bread dipped in.i also remembered about millet porridge.millet flakes made with her milk.india does have a small amount of rice milk and she loves cooled fennel tea.her poo could be down to the milk or gluten i would do a food diary so you can see if there is a pattern to anything she eats....hth...jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 17:06:43 pm »
Barkat is actually the brand of the porridge. It contains rice flakes, millet flakes and Agar-agar. It is free from gluten, egg, milk, nuts, soya and yeast.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 17:06:42 pm »
You can find loads of gluten free foods at your local healthfood store.  I am also in the US and I frequent ours often for food for Abby.  They have gluten free pancake mix also.  Abby wasn't really fond of it but it wasn't too bad (I tasted it).  She is MSPI so lots of the things I find are also gluten free.  Her poos could be due to milk.  I know lots of babies that have runny poos and mucous in them also.  Have they tested her stools for blood?  We now have successfully switched Abby from Neocate to goat's milk so now I can use that in place of reg milk. 

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline ~S~

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 19:08:45 pm »
I have had her gluten and dairy free for about 10 days.  She has had hazelnut milk and now goat's milk.  I have made creamy rice cereal (hot cereal Red Mill's brand) and boiled eggs, or some gluten free waffles, or rice cakes with Peanut Butter.  Lots of brown rice chicken and veggies for other meals.  It is not all that hard, just takes more thought.  The problem is nearest health food store is 90 miles from hear and grocery store that sells any gluten free foods or goat's milk that isn't in a can.  So I went there yesterday, got some more things.  Her symptoms haven't changed at all.   My doctors don't see a problem with her skin or poop, "it is just her".  I like my doctor , other than that, not a lot of choice here.  Can't afford to go else where.  So right now I have to figure it out my self.  I have been doing the same (GF and DF) and lost 4.5 lbs.  Fortunately that didn't happen to lo.  ;) Thanks for all of the ideas.  I will try the pancakes this wknd.  I got a mix yesterday and white rice bread as well.  Should this take longer to see a difference in her, than one week?  Sorry if this doesn't make sense, just started higher dose of a medicine and am having a hard time putting thoughts together. :-[
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 19:23:14 pm »
Yes, it can take longer then a week to see a difference.  I have heard that it can take at least 2wks maybe longer.  If she does well on goat's milk I know that you can order stuff off of Meyenberg's website.  I am thinking about ordering some goat's milk butter. 

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03