Author Topic: 8 month old with MULTIPLE night wakings  (Read 2803 times)

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
8 month old with MULTIPLE night wakings
« on: June 09, 2007, 17:52:53 pm »
i have a beautiful 8 month old DD that is waking several times at night.. She is crawling, 2 teeth popped thru 2 weeks ago and she is now trying to pull herself up... she will wake anywhere from 2-3 times a night... sometimes it takes an 1.5 hr to get her back down... we dropped the catnap and our schedule looks something like this give or take 30 min

E up at 800 and eat
A
S 1000-1130

E 1200
A
S 230-400

E400
A
 bath, bottle, and bed by 730

not a true 12 hr schedule but close as she is usually cranky and rubbing her eyes at this time... we stopped feeding to sleep, she sleeps in her own bed in her own room with a humidifier for noise.. is she overtired, not tired enough... she starts waking between 1030-1130 and then wakes every 2-3 hrs till morning.. she is about as bad as a newborn at waking up... she has only fallen asleep independently 2-3 times.. you can pat/shh her... any suggestions for why all the waking.. my MIL keeps her on weekends when i work and says she always sleep good for her... ( she doesn't get good naps at the MIL) i dont know what it is, but it is kind of hurting my feelings  :'(.... last night she woke at 1030 and we tried feeding and rocking and she just looked up at us, finally we layed her in her crib and she played and tried pulling up on the bed rail, in the end she just laid down on her tummy and went to sleep on her own ( it was a shock) at 1245.. she sleep until 630 this am.... any suggestions?

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 8 month old with MULTIPLE night wakings
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 20:25:55 pm »
Sounds like the milestones (pulling up) are keeping her awake. 
She may also be ready for a bit more A time.  You could see if she could go till 10:30 for nap 1 and then push things back 1/2 an hour.
When she wakes, do you go in right away or only when she cries?  She may wake, pull up a few times and then lay down on her own and go to sleep.  This is fine and I would let her do it.
Don't let this hurt your feelings.  I think they all "behave" better for others.  I personally think that is a good thing, it means they are comfortable enough with you to tell you how they *really* feel.  ;) :)
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 22:04:16 pm »
wouls not enough A time make her wake so much at night... we have done that a couple of times but it seems like she gets overtired and her 1.5 hr nap goes out the door.. i wait until she starts crying.. i guess but i wish she would wake up for others beside me

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 00:04:19 am »
If all this started with the pulling up, I would say that it is milestone related.  Does she have plenty of time to practice tht during the day?
It seems as if she also doesn't know how to settle herself back to sleep when she wakes.  We all wake when we sleep but she doesn't know how to put herself back to sleep.  I think pu/pd, will probably help. 

Has she never woken for your mom?  What does your mom do if she does wake? 

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 01:27:24 am »
its hard to say, the first part of the week was good, only 1 nw but the later part was 2-3.. she does have plenty of practice... My MIL feeds her and then rocks her to drowsy then pat/shh.. the same as me she just wakes more with  me.. she settled herself last night so i know that she can do it, she just never does, i may go in to soon also though, last night my husband and I just laid in her room ( where she couldn't see us) and listened to her babble. she just laid on her tummy and went to sleep so i know that she is able to settle herself. i know this sounds bad but I dont have the will power to do pupd or the consistency to do it, and I dont think my husband or mil would follow it either...

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 01:59:12 am »
It is actually good to admit that you can't do it because starting it and not being consistant is bad for both of you.

When she wakes I would give her some time to try to settle herself. Certainly go to her if she is crying but don't go in if she fusses or babbles.  When you put her down at night try to do less patting, the goal being for her to need you less and less.
Are you feeding her when she wakes?

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 04:46:14 am »
i probably do go to her too soon so i will work on that and see if she can put herself back to sleep. it shocked me and my husband that she did it the other night bc usually she screams snd throws a fit, but she did this with no crying and small amt of fussing.. i feed her once at night when she wakes and she usually takes whole bottle but am going to work on not feeding when i am on vacation so my husband can help since she wakes every hr when you dont feed her and makes for a long day and night..

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 12:03:34 pm »
I would certainly try to wean that night feed as she doesn't probably need it.  Like I said, things like tht require consistancy.  Hang in there and keep me posted.

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 13:16:00 pm »
i know about the night feed, thats why i am going to wait until i am on vacation and I can commit to 3 weeks and my husband can help, last night Ainslee woke up at 530 for my MIL, ate and went back to sleep with no problem... she starts waking up at 1100 for me and then every 2-3 hrs.. im jealous...

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 13:23:53 pm »
Have you tried sending DH in when she first wakes?  What does she do for him? 
Sorry, I feel like I am not helping very much.  :-\

I do know that with Claire, she will expect one thing from DH and something else from me based on what she has learned about the way we are.  For instance...I can put her right in her crib but DH has to stand there for a few minutes. 

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 20:44:35 pm »
ok... does my schedule look ok to everyone... i looked on the general board and read that some babies DD age are staying awake 3-3.5 hr during the day, and Ainslee does 2 hrs in the morning and 2.5 in the afternoon.. sometimes it is longer but not very often.... she is still waking at night 2-3 times but i think that she is teething and the top teeth are fixing to come in and she just learned to pull herself up ( everytime i go in she is standing up holding onto the rail) i just want to know if this is whats causing all the NW or if she is overtired due to her schedule... she spoiled my the other night by sleeping thru 730- 645, i just dont know what i did to make that happen and I am very frustrated.... :-\

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 18:04:51 pm »
Are you still on the above sch?  Have you weaned or started to wean the night feeds?

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 22:11:33 pm »
still on the same schedule... starting to wean in two weeks but the last 2 nights she hasnt eaten.... went away to the parents this weekend and she wore herself out yesterday and slept good last night, friday night was teething and didnt want to eat so every night is something new

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 23:41:33 pm »
The only thing, sch wise, I can see is that her A times are a little short for her age, but if you know she can't handle more, then that is fine.  I might try to extend her A times very slowly and see how it goes.  I think you are probably dealing with milestone things and they just take time and patience.  Give her TONS of opportunity to pull up on things during the day and don't be afraid to try pain meds for comfort. 

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 21:34:54 pm »
been giving her tylenol, motrin, and teething tablets... seems to help only really woke up at 400 this morning... i know her A time is a little short but she gets really cranky and rubbing eyes, but her morning nap has been getting shorter so i will try to extend little by little.. my MIL is keeping her the next 3 day since i am working nights ( went back to working 3 days instead of 2  :-[) but will see how that goes. went to my parents this weekend and she wore herself out but I did notice that she was sleepy alot sooner than she should have been, dont know what the deal was with that