Author Topic: A dilemma  (Read 2228 times)

Offline grahamsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
« on: June 11, 2007, 02:00:48 am »
Dd (11 weeks) has a rash on her face and head.  The pediatrician said it was just baby acne, but I'm pretty sure it's a dairy intolerance (her siblings and cousins had this problem).  So, I switched her from the Similac Advance formula to Alimentum.  Sure enough, the rash was much better after about two days.  However, she has been spitting up so much and having diarrhea and is really cranky.  It was so sad because she is aspirating the formula when she spits up, it's obviously in her nose and she is choking on it too.  This also happened when I tried Good Start with her, I think it's because of the broken down proteins.  So, today I switched her back to the Similac.  Within a few hours, her rash is back.  The spitting up has stopped and she is much happier.  The rash really doesn't seem to bother her.  I think it's pretty clear that this is a dairy intolerance, but she can't seem to handle the Alimentum formula.  Does anyone have any ideas what my next step should be?  Should I try soy?  I know a lot of children with dairy problems also can't do soy. 

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: A dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 02:46:27 am »
I really can't speak of which direction to go.  Somebody more experienced will reply. However, my son is milk and soy intolerant.  He couldn't handle any hypo-allergenic formula.  I am able to continue to breastfeed.  I do know that a friend whose daughter was diagnosed dairy intolerant was put on soy and now at 10 mos old she figured out that the baby was soy intolerant too.  Have you tried Nutramigen?

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 02:52:20 am »
Can you describe her rash?  Did it look more like a change is texture (tiny  bumps) or was is red?  Were the bumps fluid filled?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:58:47 am »
Often when switching to a hypallergenic formula some things can get better before they get worse as the milk proteins leave the body. Also, Alimentum and Nutramigen do cause loose stools in many because they are so easily digested. But they can also aggravate reflux some because they are so thin. Were you using the powder or the RTF version of Alimentum? You certainly could try soy but keep in mind that about 50% of babies who have a sensitivity to milk do to soy as well. But of course many don't so it may be worth a try. I'd discuss it with your doctor again (or find a new doctor if he's not helping).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:11:07 pm »
Can you describe her rash?  Did it look more like a change is texture (tiny  bumps) or was is red?  Were the bumps fluid filled?

The rash is lots of tiny bumps all over her head, ears, and face; her skin feels rough.  She also has a dry spot that I think might be eczema on her ear. There are some skin colored and some red bumps on her cheeks and forhead.  The rash doesn't seem to be a reaction to the milk touching her skin, though, because there aren't any bumps on her chin or neck. 

I haven't tried Nutramigen, but I hesitate to  because I'm thinking the problem is how thin the formula is.  I think she does have some mild reflux.  I was hoping she would just outgrow it. 
I wonder if I should try to thicken the Alimentum. 

Will it cause any problems if I just don't do anything since the rash doesn't seem to be bothering her and just take a wait and see approach as to whether she'll outgrow it? 

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:21:13 pm »
Lyn, it sounds as if dairy free formula is the right choice. Scotty used to spit and inhale formula when he didn't like the TASTE. And she'll be hungry, that's why she is cranky.

How about switching very very slowly supervised by the doctor? You know when you make a bottle use 7 scoops of the normal stuff and one scoop of dairy free and then 6-2 and so on.

The ped needs informed though because it's not possible with all formulas to do that. Nutra is great stuff but most babies don't like it at first. It takes a while before they take to it but it's the best of them all (said our ped)

Good luck

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 13:05:37 pm »
Nutramigen and Alimentum are almost the same (just different manufacturers) but some babies do better with one over the other as they are formulated differently. My LO did great with the ready to feed Alimentum but not the powdered or Nutramigen. It is thin but I do NOT reccomend thickening for such a young baby - he may then react to the thickener as his system certainly isn't ready to handle rice or other thickeners. I'd definitely discuss things with your doctor.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 13:46:57 pm »
I asked about the skin rash because I just posted about skin rash here and Marisa's Mama said wait and see if it bothers my LO.  We just started introducing sweet potato yesterday.  We got the similar rash about 5 hrs later.  It is almost colorless and sandpaper feel.  We had it with almost all other foods we introduced before.  I stopped with solids for 6 wks and I'm trying again.  As I understand it from wholesomebaby.com, an intolerance can either pop up as a tummy issue or skin issue.  A food intolerance is not an immune issue (allergy).  Go check it out for yourself to be sure.  Keep us posted.

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 14:34:01 pm »
It is almost colorless and sandpaper feel. 

Exactly!
Dd#1 had GI issues, blood in her stool.  That seemed a lot more obvious and serious to me.  Thank goodness Meghan doesn't have too many GI issues (except when I mess with her formula!). 
I'm off to check out that website.  Thank you all for the input. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 15:31:05 pm »
However, food intolerances CAN develop into allergies so IMO it's best not to tempt fate. Just a rash with no other symptoms is one thing but since the OP also had mentioned spitting up and congestion in another post, and give the family history, I would be cautious of milk issues...

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 17:53:12 pm »
Karen, gotta sort of disagree with you on the thickening.  I would not try rice or the powdered thickener, but the Simply Thick gel.  And not without chatting with the doc first.  I think we were thickening with it about 11-12 weeks. 
Lyn, definately nag at you doc some more, or chuck him and get a new one if you need to.  You are the mama, yuo can see that something is up besides acne. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 18:54:21 pm »
I agree with Jenn... Any experiments on formula should first be checked with the doc. My suggestion, too...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 00:25:22 am »
Jenn - totally forgot about the Simply Thick - definitely worth asking about.

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 13:54:03 pm »
However, food intolerances CAN develop into allergies so IMO it's best not to tempt fate.
That is what I'm most scared about with this.  Thank you for the suggestion of the Simply Thick. I will ask the pediatrician about all of this.