Author Topic: Why can't we get rid of these wakings????  (Read 872 times)

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Why can't we get rid of these wakings????
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:37:15 pm »
I started doing pat/shh 2.5 weeks ago to get rid of my 7 month olds night wakings (previously we'd been doing pat/shh at the beginning of the night, but then I'd feed him every 3-4 hours and he'd sleep in our bed for part of the night). 

I've gotten him down to one feeding between 2-4 most nights, but he's still waking between 10-11 and again at 5.  Sometimes he goes back to sleep within a couple min, othertimes it might take an hour of patting off and on, but I just want him to stop waking up at those times!  The way things are, I can't go to bed until after his first waking--everytime I try, he wakes just after I've gone to sleep ::)  And then the 5 am waking is a pain because then he often wakes again at 5:45 and that one is often the beginning of our day--occasionally I can get him back to sleep after I feed him there, but not most days.  And I'd be willing to get up at 5:45 if he'd just sleep through the other times (DD was a really early riser for her first 2 years as well).

So, since they aren't at the exact same times (well, the 5 am is actually pretty exact), what can I do?  Can I try some type of W2S?  And seriously, any ideas why he's still waking at these times?  He slept through until the feeding a couple nights in the first week or so of sleep training, but now its been 1.5 weeks of the wakings again.

Thanks in advance.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Why can't we get rid of these wakings????
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 18:19:01 pm »
Sounds like habit to me. I'd definitely give W2S a go.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 13:14:32 pm »
What a cr@p night last night!  I stirred DS at 10, he still woke at 10:45 (this is the same problem we had with the DF--he'd wake 45 min. after each night--it was like I'd messed up his sleep so he could only do one more sleep cycle).  Only then it took 2 hours  :o to get him back to sleep!  And he only made it 1 sleep cycle again.  by then it was time to feed him, and honestly, I was so tired, I don't even really remember what happened, but next thing I knew, it was 5 a.m. and he was still laying on my arm ::)  SO after all that, he ended up in our bed--grrrrr. . . ANd he was up with a poopy diaper by 5:45.

As for the W2S--did I do it too early?  Its hard because he doesn't actually wake the same time each night so I'm afraid to wake him too late--he might beat me to it.

I just hope we can have a better night.  I don't do well on only 3 hours of straight sleep.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 13:25:41 pm »
hugs, hope tonight is better

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 16:28:11 pm »
Hang in there Kim, just remember that it can take at least three days for W2S to show any results.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o