Author Topic: 4 Month night waking  (Read 769 times)

Offline khardman

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:37:25 am »
Hi,

My DD is now 4 months old.  We are trying to introduce her to 4 hour EASY.  She was on a loose 3 hour EASY schedule (loose because she has reflux and her naps were irregular).  However she was sleeping through the night with one feeding between 3:30-4:30, she never would take her df.  Now that her reflux is under control, we are trying to introduce her to the 4 hour EASY, and now for the past 2 weeks she has been waking at night anywhere from 6-10 times!!  She does not seem to know how to go back to sleep on her own.

There are 2 things I I can think of that is causing this sudden wakings

1. We took her out of town to visit family 2 weeks ago. She refused to sleep her pack n play so I had her in bed with me.  She never slept good waking several times a night and I had to sh/pt her to sleep.  I also gave her a passy these 3 days because I did not want to wake the entire house.  This was for 3 nights so I did not think I would start a bad habit.  Could I possibly have and that is why she is waking at night?

2. We started a df at 11 with the 4 hour schedule.  Her 3 hour schedule we never gave her a df because she would never take it. I've read that the df does not work on every baby and can actually interrupt their sleep. (I didn't give her a df tonight but she has still woken up 6+ times)

Here is her schedule since we have returned
E-7
A
S-9 (usually wakes up but can do sh/pt and goes back to sleep)

E-11
A
S-1 (usually does good here, sometimes wakes up but sh/pt goes back to sleep)

E-3
A
S-5/5:30 (usually naps 30 minutes, tried to extend it but by the time I get her back to sleep its 6:00)

E-7
A-Bath
S-8 (goes to bed with no problems and stays asleep until df at 11)

Now the fun starts because she will be up starting around 12:30 every 45 minutes to an hour.  Sh/pt works every time but she still wakes up an hour later!  Can sh/pt be a prop?  I know that sounds crazy but it is almost instant that she goes back to sleep.  I initially ruled out hunger since she is waking 1.5 hours after her df. But when I feed her at 3:30-4 she sleeps until 7. ???? very confused! 

If you have any ideas please help me!  I would really appreciate it!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 4 Month night waking
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 21:31:36 pm »
Your routine looks great :D! The only thing I wanted to say was about the last nap - being a catnap its better if it is infact a short nap so I wouldn't attempt to lengthen it past 45mins. So if he wakes at 30mins, pick him up and start to prepare for nighttime ritual, etc... Put him to bed around 7 (so that he is asleep by 7.30 the latest).

Shh/pat cannot be a prop (unless you are doing something else like rocking her, etc...) so I wouldn't worry about using this technique at all.

The dummy would not have done damage in 3 days time (i don't think).

Do you wake her for the DF or does she wake on her own?

When she wakes at night, does she make little noises here and there & you feel like you have to do shh/pat? Have you tried leaving her to see if she will settle herself??? She could be doing a mantra cry and you are rushing in too soon. Some babies are restless sleepers (mine was) and I was also attempting to her every sound and when she was out of our room, 8/10 times she settles herself.

Post back
Layla :-*

20/06/2012 - my angel baby