Author Topic: Help me figure out if this is habitual or not....  (Read 848 times)

Offline Mjbrandon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help me figure out if this is habitual or not....
« on: June 14, 2007, 15:45:16 pm »
Hi, my DD is 6 weeks old and is currently taking two four hour stretches at night.  Typically 11-3 and then 3-7.  I know she is still young, but I was wondering if it is possible that this is habitual wakenings.  The only reason I wonder is because she wakes up almost EXACTLY four hours from her last feed.  If her schedule gets off and I DF her at 10:30 then she will wake at exactly 2:30, and then sleep only until 6:30.

Also, I have been trying to "tank her up" during the evenings, however I find that she is just taking less at each feed.  Instead of taking 4 oz, she only wants 2 and 1/2.  I try to feed her more during the day, but she just doesn't seem to want it.  Any suggestions? 

Is my LO waking habitually?  Is there any way I can get her to start sleeping longer stretches?  Is it too early to give her a paci during the middle of the night feed? I assume it is, but I am eager to see a bit of progress, even if she only sleeps for five hours straight.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Help me figure out if this is habitual or not....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 21:40:31 pm »
Hi there. Yes, I do agree she is still quet young and it sounds to me like she is doing great sleeping through with 2 night feeds. I personally wouldn't be giving a dummy instead becuase that could be something she might become dependant on and then you have another problem to deal with. Her stomach is still very very small so there is only so much you can feed her and "tank her up".

What time does she go to bed for the night? At 6 weeks I found that I had to bring bedtime forward to around 7-8pm.

Melatonin only starts being produced around 6 weeks so you should see longer stretches very soon.

hth
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Help me figure out if this is habitual or not....
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 20:13:24 pm »
Just wanted to say I agree with Layla - at 6 weeks your LO is doing GREAT!! You're doing fantastic  :-*
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o