Author Topic: I need help with naps  (Read 967 times)

Offline stacy0409

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 19, 2007, 15:08:37 pm »
I have read the other posts, but I am still struggling with sleeping/naps.  I have a 10 week old.  I watch carefully for the sleep cues and start to wind down in a dark room when I see the first yawn.  I hold her and pat her for five minutes or so.  She appears very tired, her eyes are shutting slightly.  After I lay her down I continue to pat/shhhh (approximately 25 minutes) until she appears to have melted into the mattress.  I leave and then within  15 minutes she is awake and beginning to cry.  If left to try and fall back asleep on her own she begins full out crying.  She doesn't get more than 15 or 20 minutes consecutively and I am continuing this cycle until it is time for her to eat again.  This also happens at night when I try to put her to bed for the night.     Since she doesn't get a good nap/sleep she gets very fussy and cries.

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Re: I need help with naps
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 16:25:00 pm »
I would try staying for 20 min after she appears to have melted into the mattress.  Babies go through 20 min sleep cycles, and I know our lo would jolt herself awake after 10 and 20 minutes, so we would pat/shh through those jolts before we left the room.  She's now 12 weeks, and we no longer have to get her through the jolts, but still have to do pat/shh to calm her and get her to sleep, but usually now it's only 5-10 min.  Lots of other moms have encouraged me that daytime sleep really begins to improve between 3-6 mos of age.  But I would say try staying for a full 20 min to help her through the jolts and see if that doesn't help her have longer naps.
Michelle

Offline Gina S

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 17:57:48 pm »
I'm going through the same thing with my 7 week old. I just started the EASY routine so I assume it will take some time. He usually only naps for 15-20 min. at a time & that's usually in his swing or on my shoulder. And because of the short naps, he is becoming cranky. I will continue to read all these related posts and can use all the help I can get!

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 19:39:46 pm »
Hi, I think everyone needs helps with naps unless they're very lucky!!!  I'm no expert I'm afraid but can I just ask if any of you swaddle your babies?  It is really good and helps them through the jolts.  My son Sam used to jolt himself awake and wake up crying and so tired because all he wanted to do was sleep.  Some people swaddle up to 8 months or even later, I stopped at 20 weeks once Sam outgrew the jolts more. 

Another thing which really helped me was to have a regular nap/bedtime routine and really try not to deviate from it.  Babies like to know what to expect and don't like surprises! 

Gina, I hope you don't mind me saying but you need to really try not to let Zachary sleep in the swing or on your shoulder if you can possibly help it otherwise you'll find as he gets older they're the only places he'll sleep and you/the swing will become a prop (see prop board if you need explanation).  I know it's hard but if possible try to put him down for naps in his moses basket.  I've been guilty of trying all sorts to get Sam to sleep but it's much better if you start as you mean to go on and avoid future problems.

Naps do improve as they get older, but I'm sure I don't need to say enjoy the early days too because as you will know if you have another child, believe me they're gone all too soon!!! 

HTH

Ali
Ali

Offline Gina S

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:45 pm »
Yeah, I need to break that habit. I know it's terrible. I put him in his crib & sh/pat but after 5 min. he'll wake up either smiling & talking or really cranky. So I'll pu & start over. I need to just keep working on it. It's been 10 years since my daughter was a baby so I've forgotten a lot & I was working then. Now I'm not & am learning all over again! Thanks for your help!!