Author Topic: 7 mo. NW's  (Read 862 times)

Offline Wink's Marmy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Silly girl
7 mo. NW's
« on: June 21, 2007, 14:44:08 pm »
Hi - just wondering if this is normal...

Started "sleeping through the night" (what a joke) at 4 months. Then sick - lots of wakings, then travel - lots of wakings, then teething - lots of wakings... then strarted crawling - lots of wakings. It was the norm to hear no noise all night long from 10-12 hours. Now its highly unusual to hear nothing. At 11pm she usually wakes but talks to herself and I don't go in. At 3 or so she usually wakes and cries but by the time I get up and head to her door, she stops. Then at 5 I ALWAYS hear her, mostly just talking sometimes crying. If crying, I BF her early. Is this normal? I know its not that bad, so I don't mean to complain. I just wonder about this whole "sleeping through the night" thing. Its a myth at our house!

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 7 mo. NW's
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 00:59:30 am »
Hi Jennifer,
I am sorry that it looks like I didn't respond to your post.  I did, but then split someone elses and my reply to you seems to have vanished.  :-[

Anyway,
Yes, it is very normal.  We tend to wake several times during the night as we go through sleep cycles.  It is great that she wakes, lets out a little cry and puts herself back to sleep.  This is a skill that is important for her to have.  I wouldn't go in to her unless she is really crying.  Fussing, talking, cooing etc...I would do my best to ignore.  Claire went through a time when she would be in her room and awake for 30-45 min at about 2 am.  It drove me crazy just listening on the monitor!  Sounded like she was having a party in there. 

Her early waking (5 am) may be a sign of overtired.  Can you post her routine for me?
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Wink's Marmy

• Silly girl
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 00:33:43 am »
Hi there. Thanks for the response.

Wakes anywhere from 6-7 (though as described above, sometimes earlier  :P)
E 7 BF
E 8 (solids)
S 9 (1.5-2hrs)
E 11 BF
E 12 (solids)
S 1:30 (1.5 hrs.)
E 3 BF
E 5 (solids)
E 6:45 BF
7 - bath, last comfort BF, bed by 7:30

She goes to bed really well and has only fought it once in the last several months. Also goes down for naps well too. Last night we spent the night at MIL's and she woke at 1 am, screaming. I BF her to quiet her and she took a huge feeding. then was up for the day at 5:38 am. Ick... I am scared to start feeding her at night as she hasn't had a regular night feeding since 4 months...

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 16:00:56 pm »
The only thing I can see, sch wise, is that she could go down about a half hour earier.  The waking could be the result of a growth spurt but I imagine it is milestone related.  Claire often sleeps differently when we are somewhere else so I wouldn't worry about last night unless it continues at home.

Offline Wink's Marmy

• Silly girl
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 17:42:49 pm »
Hey - thanks for the advice. I tried putting her down around seven about a month ago and each time i did that, she woke earlier in the morning. But I suppose there is no harm in trying again. One of the things I have been doing is waking her from her naps around 1.5 hrs. SHould I just let her do what her body wants her to do? I have found in the past that if she takes 2 hr. naps, she sleeps less at night. Also, last night we spent the night at FIL's and she did the same thing, only this time I enlisted the help of DH. I know she wasn't hungry bc. of the cry, but it took 1 hr. of helping her get back to sleep without a feed. I suppose its the different setting, but we have traveled a lot and not had this before. I guess that can change as she is more aware of her surroundings?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 18:21:37 pm »
I think at 7 months she certainly needs 3 hours of daytime sleep. Some babies need more but I would say less than three could probably cause her to be overtired.  Would she sleep 2 in the morning and 1.5 in the afternoon.  That way the shorter one is closest to bedtime. 
What are you doing to deal with the waking?  How is she when she wakes and what generally gets her back to sleep?

Offline Wink's Marmy

• Silly girl
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 14:48:04 pm »
Hey there.

OK, yeah, she usually gets 3 hrs. during the day. Good idea about the long morning nap. With the wakings, since she has been screaming bloody murder, we have just been holding her till she quiets. Then putting her back down. I have never done PU/PD as I have back issues. Picking her up once is hard enough on my back! Last night we were finally back home & it was MUCH better.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 17:19:58 pm »
Now that you are home take a few nights and see how it goes.  Let me know ok?

Myia