Author Topic: waking early  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Brynnsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
waking early
« on: June 21, 2007, 17:23:55 pm »
I have a similar problem - usually a cry out in the middle of the night but my ds goes back to sleep and then awake crying around 5am (Bedtime is at 7). I bf then too but have been told by my dr that he no longer needs to eat at night so I could cut that out. Unfortunately, over the last couple of nights the waking is getting a little earlier and earlier and I am afraid we are going to need 2 feeds... I don't mean to hi-jack your thread- but I don't need to start a new one since it seems like we may be looking for the same advice....

any thoughts out there????

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: waking early
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 18:02:43 pm »
Hi Brynnsmom,

I split your post so that more people would be able to view and respond to it.  I hope you don't mind.

Can you post her routine for us.  Early waking is often a sign of overtiredness and can sometimes be corrected with a change in routine.   Also, can you tell me how old she is? 

A cry in the middle of the night could simply be because she is trying to get comfortable or is trying to go back to sleep. If she just lets out one or two little cries I would leave her and see if she can resettle. 

Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Brynnsmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 21:42:05 pm »
No prob! Thanks for your reply.

Routine is pretty standard-
Normally awake at between 730-800 (BF)
Solids at 830
Nap at 10
Sleep til 1130-1200 (BF)
Lunch at 1230
Nap again at 200
Sleep til 330-400 (BF)
Dinner at 500
Bath/Night Bottle start around 630
Usually bed by 700 (not later....)

Bed and naps aren't a prob anymore- self soothes to go to sleep independently so I am a little baffled when he doesn't return to sleep at 5. Unless he really need to eat??? He is 8 mos. Or should I try a dream feed again to get him through til 7? I worked hard to get a long stretch of sleep so I'm not sure how to get the 12 hours I am looking for!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 21:45:30 pm by Brynnsmom »

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 00:44:47 am »
I wouldn't introduce a DF at his age.  It seems to disturb sleep, more than help it, after about 7 months of age. 
The morning hours of sleep are generally pretty light.  Your routine looks great.  He is just waking once right now right?  I know it is becoming earlier but is he also still waking at 5:00? 

Is he possibly getting ready to do some neww tricks? (pull up, crawl, roll)

Offline Brynnsmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 14:00:53 pm »
He is now waking around 230 and again at 5 (So I feel there is a definite regression)...he is starting to crawl- or "pre-crawl".... how do you think I should handle this new phase???? 

I had stopped feeding him through out the night , or atleast til 5 cause I thought that he couldn't go more than 10 hours, but now he won't go back at 230 unless he gets bf. I was hoping to cut out nightfeeds altogether by this time!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 14:13:51 pm by Brynnsmom »

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 14:32:34 pm »
I don't think he needs that feed overnight. 
What have you tried to settle him?  Is he really upset when he wakes? In pain? 
With milestones you have to give the baby plenty of time to practice the new trick so they perfect it and get bored. 

Offline Brynnsmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 17:12:54 pm »
Since this has really only started this week, I let him self soothe at first as he was never really crying (didn't go in to his room). More like moaning or fussing. For the first few nights, he did this for almost an hour (and a few times he was quiet for about 10 mins so I thought he had gone back to sleep), then only went in til he was upset- then tried to rub his back. Then after the first 3 nights he was crying within 10 minutes so I went in earlier- again, tried to rub his back- which seemed to bother him- then tried pu/pd. Because he seemed off cause of the crawling/tooth I figured I should give him a little more comfort so I bf. Wrong?

I guess I am afraid of starting a habit for him bf'ing at 230... but if he is out of sorts cause of the crawling and teething- how long do you give them before resuming the old schedule? Or do you think maybe an earlier bed time- like 630 may get him by the 230 mark? He was actually up earlier yesterday which threw off his day as well.

Thanks so much for your responses...always nice to get another perspective when you feel a little lost!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 23:52:11 pm »
Have you tried giving pain meds for the teething?
Milestones are just something you have to work through.  The best thing for those is to give him so much time to practice the crawling during the day that he doesn't feel the urge to practice at night. 
If you are certain he isn't hungry then feeding him will cause a sleep/feed association.  I would try to up his calories during the day just in case and not feed him overnight.  If you do pu/pd you can't give in and then feed as this sends mixed messages, however, you can't do pu/pd on a baby that is in pain.  I would give meds one night and see if it helps.  If so you know that the teething is causing the wakes.  If not, I would do pu/pd and not give into any AP.
With regard to his bedtime.  Most babies his age are taking 2, 1.5 hour naps and sleeping 11-12 hours overnight.  You seem to have him on a 12 hour sch so I think his bedtime is fine. If he is awake at 7:30, I would aim for a 7:30 bedtime. 
Hope all this helps.
Myia

Offline Brynnsmom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 02:11:13 am »
Thanks so much Myia! I gave some Tylenol last night and it seemed to get him by the 230 wake up until around 4. Unfortunately, after feeding, he was up at 630 for good!

Just to clarify- I am more concerned with the 230 wake since I didn't mind bf'ing at 5am...do you think I should cut out feeding at night altogether?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 16:44:35 pm »
I would cut out night feeds because I am pretty sure he doesn't need them.  At his age, he should be able to go all night without a feed. 
6:30 might be the time he wants to wake.  We all have a little clock inside us and maybe his is set to 6:30.  You can change that once you take care of the night waking and sleep issues.