Author Topic: 5 and 3/4 month old starting to wake at night  (Read 2776 times)

Offline sharig

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 and 3/4 month old starting to wake at night
« on: June 22, 2007, 00:08:36 am »
Hi I've been enjoying the site as an observer and now have a question myself.
My LO has been sleeping 10 plus hours at night with no feeds since he was 10 weeks old (he woke 3 nights for a feeding at 13 weeks which I think was a growth spurt).  Now the last 2 weeks he has woken up 10 out of 14 nights (one per night), quite hunger and will have a full feed.  The times of wake up are different every night, but have been as early as 12:30 and as late a 4:30- 5:00. He does not take a dream feed as when I attempted to introduce it at 4 months to get him to sleep longer (usually awake at 6) it just caused him to wake up more. Instead I cluster feed. I haven't been too concerned about the one time waking because he's now been sleeping to 7/ 7:30 in the morning, but last night he woke to feed during the night and then woke for the day at 5:45.
Do you think that this is a growth spurt? I started one solid feed at 5 1/2 months in the morning but it hasn't changed anything.  I can live with one wake up a night but I"m just wondering what people might think is happening and if this is an indication to start more solids as he is almost 6 months.  Any insight would be helpful.
Our usual schedule prior to the wakings was
6:30 breastfeed
8:30 nap  (any where from 1 to 2 1/2 hours)
11:00 breastfeed
between 12:00 and 1:00 nap (depending on length of 1st nap)
3:00/ 3:30 breastfeed
5:00 nap 45 minutes
6:00 breastfeed
7:15 bed time routine and breastfeed
Always asleep by 8:00

Since wakings
7:30 breasfeed
8:15 1TBSP oatmeal
9:00/ 9:30 nap
1:00 nap
3:15 breastfeed
5:00 nap 45 minutes
6:00 breasfeed
7:15 bed time routine and breastfeed

My LO is a real sleeper and if he makes it past the one hour mark for naps I often need to wake him as I don't let him sleep longer then 2 1/2 hours.
He is a great baby and I know I have it great, but I'm just concerned that I'm starting something bad by feeding him at night. Any advice.

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 5 and 3/4 month old starting to wake at night
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 00:27:31 am »
In general, how long are his naps?  The first appears to be 1.5-2 hours and the second 2 hours and 15 min and then the cat nap.  Is this correct?
What time is he in bed asleep for the night? 

Do you think the solids are complicating the problem?  It seems like you started solids around the same time this started happening. Some babies have trouble with oatmeal but do better with rice or barley.  Other babies have a hard time with solids in the beginning no matter what they are. 
A growth spurt generally doesn't last longer than a week.  This could have started as a growth spurt though. 
I also think your sch may need a bit of a tweak but post back with your thoughts first.
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
5 and 3/4 month old, not producing enough?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 00:41:49 am »
Hi, I've posted on the night waking site too, but have a specific question regarding breastfeeding.
My LO has been waking 10 out of the past 14 night after not waking since he was 10 weeks old. I have been exclusively breastfeeding, with him getting a bottle of pumped milk 1 or 2 times per week to keep him comfortable with it. Two nights ago when I was out, my husband bottle feed him at bedtime and he made it though the night, last night out of curiosity I tried a bottle with some pumped milk, after the bedtime breast feed (which he kept bobing on and off for) and he downed the 3 ounzes in no time (I didn't try any more then that).  I'm just wondering if something could be happening to my milk supply which has always been good.  I'm also wondering if this is a sign to start more solids ( I have been giving 1 TBSP of oatmeal in the morning since the night wakings began). Any thoughts?

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 00:50:44 am »
His naps range from 1 to 2 and 1/2 hours, and we just adapt the day accordingly. Usually if the moring naps is only 1 hour the 2nd nap will be longer, etc.  I try not to let hime get more then 4 and 3/4 hours of day time sleep even with the early morning wake up. Bedtime is between 7:15 to 7:45.  I did start with rice cereal the first week on solids and it was the some thing. I've worried about the solid introduction causing this but I started them in the first place because he woke and I felt he was needing a little something more.  I've introduced them only in the morning so that it would hopefully not effect night time sleep. Would I want to stop solids now that he is one week from 6 months?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:05:25 am »
I would try to get his naps to be a bit more consistant in length.  I would aim for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon plus his cat nap. 

Solids can be tricky.  Even a 6 month old baby can have a tough time with them.  Is he still only getting 1 tbsp of solids in the early part of the day? 

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 5 and 3/4 month old, not producing enough?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 01:08:56 am »
Hi and welcome to the boards!

Can you post his daily routine?

The fact that he downed 3 oz in no time is not surprising as babies will take milk from a bottle because they don't have to work at it.  Be sure to use the slowest flow nipple possible when you offer the bottle so he does still need to work to get the milk.

Solids, at this age, will not help with night wakings, they are for experimentation only.

What do you do when he wakes?  Is it hunger?  This could be a growth spurt.  Did he sleep better last night after the pumped milk?

Sorry for so many questions.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:12:19 am by RachelC »

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:27:01 am »
Thanks for the reply
His routine prior to the night wakings was
5:30/ 6:00 wake, but won't get him up until 6:00
6:15 breastfeed
8:30 nap
between 12:00 and 1:00 nap depending on length to previous nap
3:15 breastfeed
cat nap for 45 minutes 5:00
6:00 breastfeed
7:15 bedtime routine including breastfeed

Since night wakings he has been sleeping until 7/ 7:30 (which I love) except last night when he woke for the day at 5:45. When we wakes at  7:00 the first nap is at 9:30 but the rest of the schedule is similar.

His wakings have been at completely random times, varying from 12;30 to 4:30.  He is hungry and takes a very good full feed. Thankfully he falls back to sleep again without any difficulty. I initially thought it was a growth spurt, but it's lasted so long.
He didn't sleep any better last night after the pumped milk, he woke at 1:30 and then was up for the day at 5:45.
I don't mind the questions at all, it gets me thinking about things I may not have myself. 

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 01:35:06 am »
Thanks for the quick replies
Yes he is still only getting 1TBSP in the morning, but I'm getting pressure from my Mom to start giving him more solids as she thinks this will fix the problem.
As for the naps, I hate having to wake him from naps and I hate having to try to prolong naps that are only a hour.  I used to feel my day was a dissaster if he woke after 1 hour, but I've told myself that this is a routine and not a schedule and I have to go with the flow a bit to. 
So, I'm not sure I'm going to start playing with the naps.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 01:36:32 am »
I would keep your feeds at a maximum of 4 hours apart during the day.  I am wondering if he is not taking enough during the day and now waking at night.

I would aim for feeds at
6:15
10:15
2:15
5:15, bedtime routine (w/ another feed?) and in bed by 6:30 (at this age you want to aim for a 12 hour day/night). 

Milk is far more calorific than any solids, so upping his milk intake during the day will help more than more solids.

Solids can also be tough on little bellies, maybe cut out the oatmeal all together... and/or start with something like banana, avocado or sweet potatoes, again, not to help with the nightwakings.

You can also try reducing the time on the breast over night and wean that feed.

Growth spurts *can* last 2 weeks...

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:54:19 am »
Just to add that on request of the mods I have merged your two posts from Night Wakings and Breast Feeding so all of the info you are getting can be in one place and consistent.

Helen  xxx

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 12:56:28 pm »
I think trying to get the feeds at times like what Rachel suggested would help.  How did last night go?

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 15:59:12 pm »
Thanks again for the replies and for putting the information together in one spot.
Last night he woke up at 2 but I don't get him up and he fell asleep quite quickly again.  Then he woke at 4:20 and I feed him.  He then slept until 7:50 (it's my birthday and I thought I'd enjoy the sleep in but I know I should have woken him at 7:00).  He had a very big feed at 4:20 and was very hungry.  I agree that I think he's not taking enough during the day and making up for this at night.  So just try 4 feeds during the day? I don't like such an early bedtime but I guess I can try it. No way to change his clock to 7-7 ah?
Thanks for all the advice.
Shari 

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 18:21:17 pm »
Shari,
It is possible to change the clock but in order to do that you have to first be where you want to be with nightwaking and napping and all that. 
I think Rachel was rec 4 feeds and then a bedtime routine that would include another feed.  This is what we refer to as clustering.  Sometimes a baby can tank up in the evening before bed which helps him/her go longer overnight.

Happy Birthday!  It's fine that you slept in a bit, geeze it's your birthday!
I think if you start putting him to bed earlier his sleep will get better and as he gets a bit older you can adjust to a 7-7 if you like.  It takes time and it's always something. 
 :)

Keep me posted.

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 21:13:48 pm »
Thanks again
I'm glad I can still cluster at night as this is what I've always been doing.  I'm going to try the early bedtime for the next few nights and see how it goes.  This weekend isn't the greatest time to start something new but once I'm into next week I'll get a real chance to see if it's working.  I'm not going to change the one oatmeal feed at the moment cause I want to change only one thing at at time for now.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Shari

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 16:49:47 pm »
 Changing one thing at a time is a great plan. I find that sometimes moms want to fix everything at once.  I have fallen into this trap before.  :-[  It's really to hard to determine what is working and what isn't when you do that.  Let me know how it goes ok.
Myia