Author Topic: 5 and 3/4 month old starting to wake at night  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Alison_3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
Re: 5 and 3/4 month old starting to wake at night
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 00:09:06 am »
Shari,
I just wanted to say I am going through exactly what you are.  My almost 6 month old had been sleeping well (only at night!).  He would sleep 8 hours straight, wake up for a feed and sleep for about 2 more hours.  I was okay with that.  Now he is waking at least 2 times a night and then the other night he was up for 1.5 hours.  He hasn't done that in so long!  He does drain his bottles during the night.  I don't know if I'm creating a problem by feeding him when he wakes up.  We're doing solids in the a.m., but that's it. 

Like you, our feeding times vary doing the day, but normally he feeds every 3.5-4 hours taking 6 oz.   
It's so hard when you're used to getting sleep and the night wakings start again...

I hope things get better for you soon!

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline sharig

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 12:53:51 pm »
Myia
Thanks again for you advice.  I just wanted to give you an update and get a bit of encouragement too.  I ended up changing plans for the weekend a bit so that we could start the changes. For the past 3 nights he's been a asleep by 6:45 and not needed a feed at night.  He's been feeding with much more interest during the day too which is great.  I, contrary to what I said I was going to do, have stopped sloids for the moment now too.  One week from today when he's officially 6 mnoths old I plan to start sweet potatoes. What do you think of that?

However, and here is the big however, he has actually been waking more at night (1 time the 1st night, 2 the 2nd and 4 last night) because he's rolled on his stomach and can't get back onto his back which is the way he always sleeps.  We go in, roll him back onto his back, reswaddle him and leave without saying a thing and he goes back to sleep, but it's still is no fun! 

So, any advice on the rolling issue?  Wait it out until he learns to roll back?  Teach him to sleep on his stomach?  Do you think that the earlier bedtime could be causing him to sleep less soundly so that he is waking and rolling over?  he's been rolling with ease since June 1st but never done it in bed before.
Also:  What do I do if he sleeps past 6:00.  I was thinking to let him sleep until 6:45 if he goes this long (Sunday I woke him at 6:30).
As you can tell I have lots of questions and need a few words of encouragement.  Change is so hard!  Being a mom is so hard some times too!

Offline heidiruthie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
    • nothing but blue sky
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 16:13:21 pm »
shari,

i've been reading this thread because my ds seems to be the exact same age as yours and is having the same issues with being hungry at night! i just wanted to let you know that we use a little "wedge" for tristan in bed so that he doesn't roll over. they're foam blocks that go on either side of him and prevent him from moving around..they're fabulous and i'm sure you can find them at any baby store. i've also heard that rolled up blankets on either side can do the trick as well.

being a mom is the hardest thing i've EVER done! big hugs to you and please know that you're not alone.  :-*
-heidi

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 17:18:51 pm »
Shari,
Being a mom is hard. SO HARD.  That is why I love love love this site because you can come for advice, support or to give back to others.  I don't know what I would do without it.  Really.

With regard to the rolling.  PP mentioned those sleep positioners.  I would try that.  We used one until Claire started rolling and scooting her way out of it.  If he can roll over it then you just have to work through it. I would give him a ton of time during the day to practice rolling.  As soon as he learns to roll both ways he won't need your help.

I don't think you HAVE to start solids again in a week.   Personnally, I would wait until you get the sleeping thing a bit under control and then start with a single grain cereal.  Sweet potatoes are pretty easy to digest as are bananas.  You can start with whatever you feel comfortable.

Remember that EASY is not so much a schedule, but a routine.  If he sleeps in (and you are fine with that) let him.  Maybe he will adjust his routine so that you can get up at 6:30 or even 7:00.  It is more about the amount of time between meals and naps and the amount of daytime and nighttime sleep.  If he is up at 7:00 you just adjust the day and put him to bed at 7:00.  Claire did this on her own and it was great. Now I am having to wake her at 8 or 8:30 cause I want to get the day started. 
I hope this has answered your questions.  If not post back. 
Oh, and I just wanted to say that you are doing good and you aren't alone.  We have all been there.
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 18:43:39 pm »
Thanks so much for the encouragement.  Every time I come on this website I cry, usually just because it is such a comfort to know that others are going through what I am.
We do have a postitioning wedge, but it doesn't seem to be working as he wiggles his way below it and then turns.  Perhaps we'll try a longer wedge. 
I like the idea of letting him sleep until he wakes in the morning!  I'd love to get to a 7:30- 7:30 routine eventually!
Thanks again for everyone's support.
Shari

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 19:20:59 pm »
{{{{hugs}}}} Shari.  Sounds like a developmental thing!  I agree with Myia to offer tons of day time rolling practice.  He is old enough to sleep on his belly, if you wanted to try that.

As for solids, take your time.  6 months is not a "magic" age to start, if he needs a little more time, that is ok.  Sweet potatoes are a good first food (as are bananas as Myia said... and avocado)

Good luck.  You are a great mom and doing a wonderful job!  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 14:03:04 pm »
I just need to complain for a minute that I HATE waking Luke up from his naps!!!
There that feels better.  He woke 2 times because of rolling on his stomach last night and did need a feed at 4:00 but I only let him have 1/2 a feed so that he was hungry again when waking at 6:30 for the day.  I'll try to hang in there.
Shari

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 15:06:00 pm »
Hang in there.  I know, it's so hard to walk in and see peaceful sleeping and have to disturb it.  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 23:29:21 pm »
Hang in there.  It will get better.

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 13:38:49 pm »
RachelC
You initially wrote to me that
I would keep your feeds at a maximum of 4 hours apart during the day.  I am wondering if he is not taking enough during the day and now waking at night.
End of quote

I've been doing the earlier bedtime and consistant naps for 6 days now and we're back to one night time feed which is where we started off.  He has a tone of things going on developmentally right now, rolling over constantly, and his sitting has gotten a ton better in the past three days. I'm seeing the night feed as a need for some extra calories, though I am starting to reduce the amount he gets at this feed.  However, any other ways to get him to take more during the day? If feeds get further then 4 hours apart, what happens?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 13:46:55 pm by sharig »

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 15:57:55 pm »
Why would the feeds get further than 4 hours apart?  I am a bit confused.  :-\
It sounds like things are going much better.
Have you been doing a cluster feed in the evening?

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:48 am »
Myia
Things aren't any better.  After the first 3 night of the change, he is waking once at night for a feed which is what I was trying to get rid of in the first place, though I now wouldn't mind having only that problem. Now he is also waking laying on his stomach and needing to be turned over  (we played that game for an hour last night from 11:45 to 12:45) and the last two days he seems to be refusing his cat nap.  This is my angel/ textbook baby who usually settles in 3 mniutes.  The first night it took him over a 1/2 hour to settle and then last night when he didn't settle after 40 minutes of trying I just kept him up until 6 and put him to bed for the night (he'd woken at 7 that morning).  I'm asking about feeds going further then 4 hours apart because if he continues to refuse the cat nap and needs to have longer A times to shift the day slightly feeds would be 4 and 1/2 hours apart. Do you follow?
I'm in quite a desperate place myself.  With lack of sleep I can not handle things well.
Shari

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 17:31:41 pm »
I kinda follow.  :-\   Can you post the routine to show me? 
It really sounds like a developmental thing.  Are you giving him tons of floor time during the day?  I spent countless hours on the floor rolling Claire over and over. I would help her roll one way across the room and then the other. 

When Claire was 6 months we had a horrible time getting her to go to sleep. I think this age is particularly rough on them.  Do you have a good windown routine?
Hang in there.
Myia

Offline sharig

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 22:44:10 pm »
Myia
He refused that cat nap again today. Our wind down routine has always been the same.  5-10 minutes of books, a song or 2 in his room while we cuddle and then to bed (usually whole routine 15 minutes long).  So I'm thinking that he he refuses the cat nap two more days I may try

6:00 breastfeed
8:45 bedtime
10:45 breastfeed
1:15 nap
3:30 breasfeed
5:00 breastfeed
6:00 bedtime routine with top up

(which means that feeds are more the 4 hours apart, unless I feed him again before putting him down for naps, but that sounds dangerous).
I hope you follow.
Shari

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 00:44:48 am »
That routine looks pretty good.  He is awfully young to only have 2 naps but if you make sure they are good ones (at least 1.5 hours) you might be ok. 
Let me know how it goes.
Myia