Author Topic: Pediatric Allergist Appt.  (Read 1339 times)

Offline 2Kats

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Pediatric Allergist Appt.
« on: June 22, 2007, 18:38:10 pm »
Hi!  I took DD in for her 18 mo appt. today and mentioned to her doctor that I think she might be allergic to peanuts.  She doesn't like peanut butter but I keep trying to give it to her every once in awhile to see if her tastes have changed.  Every time I do she gets a rash just around her mouth and chin.  There are no other symptoms and it goes away in about 20 minutes or so.  She will only eat a couple of bites of peanut butter since she doesn't like it so I don't know what it would do to her if she ate a whole sandwich.  Anyway, the doctor said she wants her to go to a pediatric allergist to do test and see if she really is allergic or not.  Anyone have experience with this?  What tests will they do?  Will it hurt her?  It seems a little extreme to me since she only gets a small rash but the doctor said it can be a serious allergy and can get worse over time.
Jenny

em_here

Re: Pediatric Allergist Appt.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 19:22:18 pm »
Hi Jenny

I worked with a woman who's sons peanut allergy started off with a rash and became more severe the older he got, to the point in which he carries an epi pen now. Not meaning to scare you but think the ped is def right, its for the best to test. HTH

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 12:03:47 pm »
Since the food in question is peanuts which can be a severe allergy, I think it's better to be safe than sorry and get tested. My DD has that type of reaction to getting certain oils and butters around her mouth and it's just a sensitive skin issue - so maybe in your case its' nothing to worry about but kudos to you and the doctor for wanting to be sure!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 12:15:39 pm »
Hi, I'd also stop giving peanuts or peanut butter until you are sure she isn't allergic.  I wouldn't give any food repeatedly if you see baby has a reaction to it without first talking it over with your doctor to be safe.

Good Luck.

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 18:06:45 pm »
Totally agree with PP. My doctor doesn't recommend even trying nuts/peanut butter until 2 and wants to wait until 3 if any history of allergies/family history.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 18:37:19 pm »
Jenny,
I just wanted to answer your question about the tests they do.  Claire (18 mo) had allergy testing done about 3 months ago.  The test is not fun, if possible I would take dh or someone with you.  I went alone and wish I hadn't. 
They will talk to you about the possible allergies and ask a ton of questions.  The test itself is adminstered on the back, sometimes the arm.  They will prick two places first, one with a saline solution and one with a histamine.  These two pricks are the test pricks which they use to compare the other pricks to.  They will then prick for each allergen they wish to test.  If they only test peanuts, or the legume family, it may not be many, however, the allergist may want to also test the tree nut family or anything else based on your conversation.  Claire had 25 pricks.  They write on the back to show what is what and then they start pricking.  OUCH.  When done they wait 10-15 min and then "read" the results.  The pricks are with a little needle like that which people prick their finger for blood sugar testing. 

Anyway, I hope that answers your questions.  Maybe take a special treat for dd to eat after the pricks while you wait.  Here's hoping for no allergies and like the rest of the ladies said, I would stay away from the PB until then. 
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 19:02:00 pm »
Had the tests a couple of months ago and it was way more traumatic for me than DD.  It was just like Myia described and other than trying to keep DD flat for the first few minutes (had it on her back) and then entertain the rest of the time, that was the toughest part.  DD didn't even flinch when they stuck her (like 9 times).
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt