Author Topic: Recipes needed for a reflux baby please  (Read 7036 times)

Offline Shell, Izzy and Lily

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous girls
Recipes needed for a reflux baby please
« on: June 24, 2007, 18:42:26 pm »
Hi all,

My LO is 4 1/2 months old, has reflux and refuses her bottle!    :-X

I am trying to get formula into her by adding it to her food so wondered if anybody had any recipes I can cook using formula please.

Puddings are especially a problem because she can't have fruit (too much fruit acid aggravates her reflux and causes her pain) and I don't want to give her too much sugar (rusks etc) because of potentially rotting teeth that may be starting to cut through.   ???

If anybody has any ideas I would be extremely grateful.   ;)

Thank you all

Shell & Izzy
x

Offline Freya'sMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
Re: Recipes needed for a reflux baby please
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 20:04:00 pm »
Shell,

I believe that you can use formula milk in the same way you would cows milk to make sauces etc (altho I couldn't guarantee it'd taste that good - formula does taste like cardboard!).

This is slightly off-topic, but I do worry about los with reflux being introduced with solid foods at an early age (I know 4.5 months didn't used to be considered 'early' but it is currently) - my dd#1 had reflux, but we were able to postpone the introduction of solid foods by giving her a 10ml syringe of EBM/formula mixed with this powder called Thick & Easy prior to each milk feed. It was amazing, kept her milk feeds down from the first time we tried it with her, had a totally new baby! And it meant that we could still keep to the recommendations to delay introducing solid foods for as long as possible!

I posted a link to the T&E site in the Reflux boards recently, this is it:

http://www.fresenius-kabi.com/internet/kabi/gb/fkintpub.nsf/Content/Product+Features+Thick+&+Easy+Instant+Food+Thickener

You can get it prescribed thru your GP in the uk, dunno where you are in the world but perhaps if this isn't available, something similar would be!

HTH?

Ax
Alison x

Offline Maeve

• Showing Appreciation 92
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 20:29:01 pm »
I don't know about adding formula to food, so I can't help there, but I was just wondering  have you tried different formulas, in case there is one that she will drink? 
I remember that battle with my fella, spending an hour getting him to drink 2 oz, but at least in the evenings, for some reason he drank a lot so it was okay. Of the solids (which he didn't really like at all until he was nearly 1) yoghurt, or blended park and steamed apple (which I know a reflux baby shouldn't like) were the only things we were nearly guaranteed he would eat.
Maeve, mother to:
Con, full of fun (22nd may 2004)
Cathal "I'll do it" (9th february 2006) and
Sophie 'so far so good' (31st august 2007).

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous girls
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 19:59:05 pm »
Thanks ladies.

I have tried Farley's, C&G Stage 1, C&G Comfort and SMA Gold and she's the same with all of them.  We're now on Aptamil and she does take it but doesn't take it in the quantities that are considered ideal at her age.

As far as thickening the milk goes using Thick & Easy, I'm not sure how it would help.  She doesn't have trouble swallowing she simply refuses to drink her formula.  She will take 90ml (maximum) and then stop and push the teat out and cry until we remove the bottle.  We use Gaviscon infant which helps but I don't think that thickening the milk will do anything.  Also she will take 180ml at her dream feed with only one pause in the middle long enough for me to reheat the formula!  This is why I don't think that she has trouble swallowing so much as she simply doesn't want formula.  My ped has explained how nutritious the formula is and how important it is and this is why I want to make my own food with her formula in it to try and get some into her.  :-\

Offline Freya'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 20:15:14 pm »
Ah, sorry didn't explain well enough!

The T&E doesn't thicken the bottle, you mix up a couple of oz worth at the beginning of the day (can't remember the exact quantity of milk to T&E) and draw it up and give it like a medicine in a syringe immediately prior to the milk feed, this helps to 'set' the milk feed in her tummy, so it doesn't bounce back up the oesophagus and cause the discomfort!

Ax
Alison x

Offline Elvira

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 17:32:42 pm »
Things to do with her formula are, very obviously, cereals which is what we do regularly here (mix it together instead of giving cereal alone and milk one hour afterwards).  And cereals would mean rice (constipating), corn or millet (the last perhaps also constipating as very high in iron).  Perhaps you could mix them with boiled and pureed carrot, and potato, or add formula to such purees, making a firm pure not a liquid one. Some fruit is not acidic and can be tried, like pear, apple or peach.  If baby has trouble with it, then discontinue.  I know that orange, lemon, kiwi or tomato are definitely a no-no, and I know because I,m a chronic sufferer or reflux (hiatal hernia).  Doctors told me to avoid citrus, tomato, coffee and tobacco and, other than that watch out  for what gives me that hearburn feeling as it is a very individual thing.  In my case, it is chocolate and mint (separately or together, if together it is like a bomb, I love after eights but....cannot take them).  Garlic, pepper, chiles, curry and other hot stuff very bad for others, but not for all.

So, watch what disagrees with  her.  I really thing she is far too little to try to introduce meat or (even worse) fish, which can be made with a mild white sauce made with formula, but that should be left for later, at 7 months, not now. 

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 17:50:24 pm »
Hi Shell,
Wow she has given it up early hasn't she. DD had silent reflux and gave up at about 6 months, never drank another drop of formula so I had no choice but to up her solids and she would actually drink tiny drops of cows milk for me from a spoon- not that I am advocating this is what you should do. As dd was a little older I had probably a bit more choice in what I could give her but basically I tried adding drops of formula in everything. She got breakfast cereal every day and sometimes 2 just to get milk in, either Ready Brek which was great for adding milk/formula or if she got one of the commercial ones which said mix with water I always used formula/milk. I used to add a small bit of baby rice to fruit puree to thicken it up and add formula, also to pureed veg and if by chance it got too liquidy I would add a bit of rice to thicken it.
I also started dd on chicken pureed with veg at about 7 months and plain natural yogurt which I mixed with fruit puree. I am not sure when you can introduce cheese think its about 8 months but it took dd until almost 2 years of age before she would eat it. Once you are well established on solids try to get as much calcium in as you can, I gave dd 2 180g natural yogurts a day for well over a year.  DD actually started to drink milk properly again at 18 months and now has a few very small glasses a day.
HTH a bit,
Fiona

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous girls
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 20:26:42 pm »
Thanks Elvira, it's helpful to understand what's going on a bit more and you've done that by being a sufferer yourself.

Thanks also Fiona - am trying petite filous but she refuses those too!  I manage to get 180 ml into her at breakfast with baby 4m+ porridge from Heinz and 180 ml at the dream feed but for the last 2 days she has simply refused the other 3 bottles.  We try mixing with cereals but she's worked out what we're doing and spits it out!!!  Cheeky monkey  ;)

Thanks to everybody for your helpful suggestions
x

Offline Maeve

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 19:33:53 pm »
Let us know how you're getting on.
Maeve, mother to:

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 12:57:24 pm »
Hi Shell,
Hope you guys getting on ok? Can I just say the petit filous have an awful lot of sugar in them. I think there are other baby yogurts on the market which have less that you could look into, unfortunately am not aware of any other brand names because we don't get them here.
Fiona

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous girls
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 21:46:51 pm »
Hi ladies,

We have had to go back to the Paediatrician because Izzy was sick the other day and nearly choked.

We agreed to increase her dose of domperidone.  If that doesn't work, she has to have PH testing (tube into stomach so that acid can be pH tested) and depending on the result surgery, although only 1% of reflux babies get that serious.

Unfortunately, Izzy has not reacted well to the increased dose of her meds so I have had to put it back down again.  Will phone the Paed tomorrow and discus with her but am terrified that this is going to mean the tube followed by surgery.  :'(  Please keep your fingers crossed for my little girl...

Shell and Izzy
x

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 08:24:12 am »
Fingers crossed for both of you,
Fiona

Offline Maeve

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 10:37:11 am »
Best of luck ;D
Maeve, mother to:

Offline Elvira

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 19:45:44 pm »
Best of luck, and let us know how it goes...

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 20:21:37 pm »
Dumb thought, but what about a sippy or straw cup?  She might take to that better.
On the probe, I've had it done.  a bit uncomfortable, but not too bad.  Fingers crossed for you.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline lovedtodeath

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 03:12:16 am »
How about getting some flours made from white sweet potato, malanga, and other root vegetables to mix it up with? Also, try the thick & easy suggestion and try to give her bottles. Maybe she will figure out that formula does not hurt her anymore.  Maybe you could add some molasses to her cereal with the formula. My lil guy likes molasses and the doc prescribed it for constipation. Hope some of this helps. Is there any way you can work up a supply of breast milk? I know it sounds crazy, but breast milk tastes tons sweeter than formula. Maybe donated, or you can try to get it back yourself... some adoptive mothers have breastfed so it IS possible. Also, there are formulas made from goats milk which is closer in composition to human milk to begin with so maybe they taste better. Also look into nutritious juices. my lo is on 1 t. acai juice per day.helps him a lot. beet juice is high in iron.I know what a reflux baby is like. Hope your lo gets better!