Author Topic: signs of lactose intolerance?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline MyPiggie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • My Little Joey
signs of lactose intolerance?
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:25:58 am »
My boy is 21 months old now and has been having some sleeping problems in the last few months. I was advised that he has night terrors (another problem) by a nurse, but I wonder if he is having some problems with milk as well. I had been giving him whole milk for some time, but then, at the advice of a friend, I switched to a lactose free milk b/c of belly aches...mainly at night. Sleep seemed to improve. Most of the wakings and crying went away after a few days. I did this for about 3 weeks, then went back to the regular milk. Now after a few days, the wakings have come back. I asked the nurse again, but she does not see in correlation between the milk and the sleep issues. I can't help but think that there IS and she may be mistaken. If someone could, I would really like to know more about the signs and symptoms of lactose intolerance. ( I also have some questions about night terrors on another board)
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: signs of lactose intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:26:48 am »
Lactose intolerance usually leads to belly aches, cramps, gas, etc and can be quite painful. Symptoms often occur pretty soon after ingestion. If the lactose free milk seems to help him, why not stick with it? Nutrition is the same...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline MyPiggie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • My Little Joey
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 17:30:06 pm »
I have switched back to lactose free milk.   My confusion stems from advice I have received that says this problem should only be temporary. Is it possible that it could be more long term?
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 17:34:14 pm »
Which problem? Lactose? Night terrors? Lactose intolerance can be temporary or permanent - it all depends. I'd see if it helps for now and you can always try regular milk again in a few months if you want.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01