Author Topic: 12 week old starting EASY  (Read 1046 times)

Offline MelDV

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:19:34 am »
Hi all,
I am just starting my 12 week old boy on easy.
Up until now he has been bf on demand but he is a big boy (4kg at birth, about 7.5 now) and doesn't need to eat that often so have tried to get him out to 3 hourly's which has been easier than expected.
My question is, what do you do when they wake early, ie he had a dreamfeed at 9.30, woke at 11.30 and was resettled by hubby and then woke at 5 obviously hungry - I fed him and put him back to bed, then he'd sleep till 8 if I leave him, I woke him at 7.15 but he still wasn't hungry till about 8.30 - which then messes up any attempt at routine - What do you do???

Ta
Mel

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: 12 week old starting EASY
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:13:03 pm »
hi Mel and welcome :)

you see, EASY is not a schedule, it's a very adjustable routine, so even if your days are not exactly similar, that's ok as long as you provide your baby with a stabilised routine of sleep-eating-play-sleep.
so if your LO wakes up early and is hungry- feed him. but if you want him to be hungry when you wake him up around 7am, don't give him a full feed at 5 as there's no way he's hungry at 7 then.
I used to give my dd a small snack like feed when she would wake at 4 or 5am and then a full feed at around 7.

what do you think?
Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

em_here

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 12:14:59 pm »
I do exactly what Monika said, for example my DD woke at 5, gave 3ozs of milk, then when she woke at 8 this morn, she had another 4 and then her breakfast so it works xxx

Offline MelDV

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 23:06:55 pm »
Thanks ladies,
I know that its a flexible routine, problem is that if I give him only a small snack when he wakes he'll never settle and scream the house down.
Also since I'm exclusively breastfeeding he can take quite a big feed in a short time and I can't really quantify it.

Hmmmm will keep trying

em_here

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 07:52:37 am »
Oh yeah I see what you mean, with breastfeeding it is hard to gauge how much is a snack esp if your lo is efficient feeder! This morn at 5 I just gave my babe a full feed as she seemed very hungry and then at eight she took half a feed plus breakfast but I am not worried as I can kinda tweak the day feeds to suit now she is a little older. It is frustrating when you feel it is thrown out of whack straight away, I used to totally freak out but no wI can chill out a bit. Keep trying and it will fall into place honestly. Also, maybe you could increase the time spent on the breast at each feed so your babe is getting more calories in in the day. does your lo have a dreamfeed?

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:43:12 am »
Hi MelDV - is it terrible if your ds starts his day a 8am?  Remember you just work the routine around your lo.  I guess if you want him to start the day at 7 then you do need to try & top him up more during the day.  I know you said you do a dreamfeed - is there any way you could do this later such as 10.30/11pm?  THat way he may be able to go til about 3 then feed then go through til 7?  Do you do the tanking up feeding before final bedtime?
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline MelDV

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 02:59:32 am »
Thanks for the responses ladies

Shanaz - no its not terrible to start day at 8, I just need some kind of consistency as I have a 2 year old and want to be able to do an activity with her like we did before bubba, can't do that at the moment as don't know what he will be doing and when

He does have a dream feed usually at 10ish - no later as I am ready for bed by then, sometimes he doesn't take a great feed then, but can't push it as he is not interested, lately he will sleep till 4 and then 7ish so seems to be getting  better

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 13:02:50 pm »
Hi Mel

I didn't realise you had a 2 yr old, that makes sense then!!

That's great that he seems to be settling into it and sleeping til 7 - woohoo!
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren