Author Topic: Reasons for Night Wakings?  (Read 730 times)

Offline TKDmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Reasons for Night Wakings?
« on: June 28, 2007, 13:47:58 pm »
Hello There, Does anyone know why babies wake at night...is there any common things.  Are they all spirited, do they not want to miss anything?  Is there an age when they tend to be night wakers.  Do they all cry when the wake...are we doomed to never sleep through the night again...does it typically end at some particular age? 
I am new to the BW books and sites.  I've had really good success with getting my LO to sleep now and extending her naps.  She used to only have 30minute naps and now I get an hour in the morning and sometimes 1.5 hours in the afternoon.  My LO will be 10 months next week and she is cruising around the furniture and wanting to practically run!
She used to sleep through the night with the aid of a battery operated swing (from 8 weeks to 5.5 months).  Since then, I've had no end of troubles.  She used to wake 7-10 times a night, now it's down to 2-5 times.  However, she always is standing in her crib and crying like she's very upset.  I am sad to say I don't really know her mantra cry...I thought I did, but I don't.  I listen to try and figure it out, but I don't seem to be able to.
Her routine is sort of like the following:
6:30-7:10am  Wake
6:40-7:20am  Feed, cereal then a little formula to wash it down.
Activity until 8:30-9:10...depends upon when she gets up
Naps for 30-60minutes
Activity to lunch 4 hours after breakfast
Activity for 3 hours after she wakes
Nap...I hope for 1.5 hours but usually get at least 1 hour
Activity until supper...I'm trying to get her to eat later, hoping that will keep her belly full longer as I don't know if she's hungry in the morning.  So I give her 3-4oz to hold her off solids till close to 5:00pm
Then it's activity, bath, bottle, potty, story and bed between 6:30-7:00pm.

Then her other routine happens, she wakes and I go to her to find her standing in her cot and crying.  I lay her down and put her soother in and she usually goes to sleep for another hour or two or even three.  The longest she has ever gone was 6 hours without waking us.  I haven't slept through the night in almost a year as I wasn't sleeping during the last month of my pregnancy.  I want her to have a sibling but it won't happen if we never sleep through the night.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kelly

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: Reasons for Night Wakings?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 16:38:27 pm »
Hi Kelly and welcome to BW!
There are many reasons why babies can wake at night.  Here is a link you may find helpful.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52878.0

For some, nightwaking end when the baby doesn't need to be fed overnight.  Most people experience night waking until their baby has learned to self soothe and even after many babies go through stages where they can experience any of the above mentioned reasons for waking.
The simple fact is that we all wake at night.  As we move through sleep cycles we wake to turn over, fluff the pillow, use the bathroom etc...A baby does the same but may not know or understand how to go back to sleep. 
It seems that you have taught your baby that she needs things to help her get back to sleep, ie the swing and paci.

At her age she should be on a routine that looks something like this:
E: 6:30 wake and eat
A:
S: 9:30 for 1.5 hours
E: 11:00
A:
S: 2:00 for 1.5 hours
E: 3:30
A:
E: 5:00
S: Betime routine start at 6:00 could include bottle, bed by 6:30

Does that make sense to you?

I think your little girl is overtired.  I would work on getting more consistant with your EASY routine and extending naps.
Hope that helps.
myia

[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]