Author Topic: New here and need some help with sudden night wakenings  (Read 667 times)

Offline Cubin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
New here and need some help with sudden night wakenings
« on: June 29, 2007, 18:26:56 pm »
Hi Ladies,

I'm a very old, well let's say mature first time Mom of a now 5 1/2 month old.  All has been going pretty well till we went on holidays a couple of weeks ago.  He was sleeping right through the night from 7:00 to about 6:00 at which time I would take him into our bed for about 1 1/2 and he would wake at 7:00 to 7:00 have his bottle and cereal and start his day.  He then has about an hour nap at 9:00 to 9:30, a bottle at 11:30 and then a 1 1/2 to 2 hour nap at 12:00 to 12:30.  He generally has about 1 1/2 to 2 hour play time and he is off to nap time.  He has another bottle at 3:30 then a catnap in his stroller generally from 4:30 to 5:00-5:30, then bath at 6:15, bottle, veggies and fruit, story then off to bed at 7:00 and is asleep on his own around 7:15 to 7:30. 

All was going well till we went away and he wouldn't nap or sleep in his pack and play for more than a few hours, so I would take him into our bed at about 1:00 - 1:30 just to make things easier on everyone!  I know big mistake!!!

The next mistake was I went away for a few days after we got back and all hell broke loose, he would wake around 1:00 screaming and kept my DH up all night, so I came home early and he was very happy to see me!  When we get him down for a nap we give him his pacifier, his stuffed monkey to hug, roll him on his side and pat his back.  This works like a charm and he is asleep within 5 - 10 minutes with very little fuss.  When I came back and he woke during the night he would talk and chat to himself for over 30 minutes then start to cry a little, so I would go roll him on his side and use the same technique to get him back to sleep...well now he is waking at 1:00, 2:30 and so on till I come in and pat his back.  Usually around 3:00 I bring him in our bed because I'm so tired from waking up every hour or so.  I was thinking about using pu/pd, but since he isn't really crying not sure if that would work...also because the back patting, shusshing works so well I thought it might be a step backward.

The question is, how do I get him to stop waking in the night and put himself back to sleep?  My DH wants to just let him CIO, but I really don't think I can do it.  It's the weekend, so now is the time to take some action!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sue

em_here

Re: New here and need some help with sudden night wakenings
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 19:51:42 pm »
I found that if I let the cat nap go over 40mins it caused nw.  Also, the morning nap seems really short, maybe your lo may be a little overtired?

My routine is this (after tweaking it due to loads of nightwakings) My DD is 5 3/4 months

E 7:30
A
S 9:30  (2 hrs)

E11:30 E
A
S 1:30 (1 1/2 - 2hrs)

E 3:30
A
S 5pm (for 40 mins, any longer and I wake her)

Last bottle at 7pm and then bed, she wakes once at 4am, then goes back off after a small drink of milk until 7am. Just wanted to give you an idea of what works for us, hope that helps a little, don't want to sound patronising, just my routine xxxx