Author Topic: 4mnth old on lacto-free formula-should i switch back?  (Read 4310 times)

Offline LBMATTHEWS

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4mnth old on lacto-free formula-should i switch back?
« on: July 04, 2007, 15:24:35 pm »
hi
just looking for advice on my lo formula diet-started as newborn on cow and gate, had to add colief drops-changed to cow and gate comfort,still had to add colief drops-pharmisist recommended lactose free formula as baby was still fussing after feed, legs to chest and in pain. the lactose free formula had immediate effect and we havent looked back since.as you can give this formula up to 1 year old i thought no more of it til my health nurse advised that i try wean him back onto a formula with lactose. should i/shouldnt i? he seems perfectly happy with his formula and because we are only a week into our easy routine im afraid the change could unsettle him?
any suggestions ???

em_here

Re: 4mnth old on lacto-free formula-should i switch back?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 19:27:52 pm »
I would say, thanks, but no thanks esp when you have everything so lovely, why o why would they want to muck things up. My ped advised that we switched our (milk intolerant) DD onto a less hydrolysed milk and I just said no thanks, I am happy the way she is. They cannot force you, go with your instincts xxxx

Offline LBMATTHEWS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 10:31:02 am »
YEAH YOUR RIGHT MANY THANKS -THINK I'LL STICK BY WHAT WE KNOW WORKS ;D ;D ;D

em_here

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:33:14 am »
No probs x The thing is when you have things lovely why muck it up eh.  You can always try weaning him onto normal milk when you want to, ie: 1 bottle a day and then increase to 2 etc.....

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:10:47 am »
Totally agree!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline LBMATTHEWS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 20:38:17 pm »
thanks again guys

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 21:19:21 pm »
I agree with all pp. Why change something that is working so well especially as it will do no harm staying on the lactose free formula. I think sometimes people suggest things without thinking about the consequences.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline camorrissette

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 19:33:58 pm »
My son was lactose/milk protein intolerant.  We gave him lactose free fomula until he was a year old.  At one year of age I had the same concern as you.  It stated on the can that this formula was for babies up to one year.  I know that there is no lactose free milk that is homogenized on the market.  There is not enough vitimins or fat in soy milk for healthy development at this age.  Children betwenn 1-2 years old need homogenized milk for healthy brain development.  The health nurse and the doctor suggested keeping Nolan on lactose free formula for one year, until he turned 2.  They said that they tell people to use up to one year becasue babies need formula or Breast milk until one year.  They said that it was very safe to use on children older that one year of age.  He did very well on it.  After he turned 2 we switched him to 2% lactose free milk (made by Betrice) and it woorked well.  Now at 2.5 we have switched him to 2% cow's milk and his allergy seems to be gone.  I know it is a bit of an inconvience and is more expensive to use the formula until 2 years, but it worked for us.  Hope this helps you. 

Offline LBMATTHEWS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 19:00:41 pm »
many thanks again-camorrisette did you have your child tested for lactose intolerance? just wonderin because my lo has never had a test and although i am definitely stayin with his formula now just wonderin if i should have it confirmed? initial reason for puttin him on lacto free was because colief drops in comfort food wasnt helping-many thanks for post 12month advice-i wasnt even thinking that far ahead but im delighted i now know what to do ;D

Offline camorrissette

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 02:05:46 am »
My son was never tested.  I just knew he had a milk lactose allergy becasue when I tried feeding him cereal with formula he started vommitting.  If I mixed it with water he was fine.  I found out that he had a milk protein allergy because when I gave him milk or ice cream he would get a rash on his face and chest.  We tried goat's milk (lactose is different but has a protein similar to cow's milk) and he got the same rash.  The Enfalac lactose free formula seemed to work for him.  Our daughter has been tested because I was unsure of what was causing the colic.  The Dr. said it was a lactose allergy from my breast milk because I was eating dairy and then BF.  I started taking a lactose enzyme that he recommended (you take after eating dairy and it breaks down the lactose in your milk).  It seems to have worked.  Because our daughter was so small I am BF and supplimenting with lactose free formula.  No more colic.  Yey!!!  As for getting your lo tested it's up to you, but there probably isn't any point if the lactose free formula is working.  I don't agree with weening the baby back onto regular formula.  Why not stick to what works?  I have been told that introducing foods that a baby has an allergy too,to early can cause a worse allergy for life.  If it is left longer the chances that the baby will just grow out of the allergy increase.  Besides Lactose free formula isn't that much more money and it provides all the nutrients that the baby needs, just as regular formula does.  Good Luck!!!

Offline LBMATTHEWS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 16:37:48 pm »
thanks a mill-thats great to know-wont get him tested until the need arises-cheers ;)