Author Topic: Almost 5 month old night wakings  (Read 1145 times)

Offline sabers78

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Almost 5 month old night wakings
« on: July 05, 2007, 02:29:10 am »
Okay - so maybe this is normal but I need reassurance or advice as to what to do....
My 4month, 3wk old is constantly waking around 2ish and again at 5 or 6.  (I breastfeed only -started rice cereal only at night about a tablespoon about 3 weeks ago)
Now, about 2 wks ago, I stayed at my mom's and my daughter made me a liar as she slept from 11pm - 5am!  This was the best she has ever slept in her life!  So, I figured, since she made it through the night, she's not really needing to be fed when she wakes at 2am.  So, since then I haven't been feeding her at this time but rather, she'll cry, I'll try pu/pd but she gets more hysterical, so I just try to shh her.  I even tried moving her into our room so she knew we were there with her when she'd wake.  It was taking me an hour to resettle her, then she'd last till 5am.  Now, this week, it seems worse!  The last 2 nights she's been getting up at 1am (only 2 hrs after the DF!) and crying till 3am.  Then, finally when she does settle back to sleep, she will sleep till 5 or 6 for a feed, then back to sleep for a bit.
Am I being cruel and starving my poor girl?? Or am I doing the right thing??  If I need to feed her, I would be happy to since she resettles within 5-10 min after waking but I just don't want to create the habit of her waking at night till she's 2 yrs old which friends of mine say their kids have done! I don't want to go through that! I rather the pain now then lasting for 2 yrs!!!!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Almost 5 month old night wakings
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:55:39 am »
Can you tell me how she is sleeping during the day?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline sabers78

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:04:09 am »
I must admit, it has been really hard for me to get onto EASY....
But, for sleeping: Gosh, I hate to admit this, but she is my first and so, if she sleeps in, I let her....
Wakes around 9am, feed
A: till 10/11 then she's exhausted (She always seems really exhausted about an hr after waking up!)
S: about 2 hrs here, sometimes 2 1/2hrs.
Up at 12/1pm, feed
A: till 3/4pm (sometimes feed here)
S: about an hr., feed
A: till bathtime/bedtime routine always at 7ish, feed after the bath
S: 8/8:30pm
DF: 11pm
THEN wakes around 2ish...cries lately UNLESS I give in to feeding, then settles within minutes
Awake again at 5 for a feed, then sleeps till around 9ish!!

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 03:32:45 am »
Do you want to work on a 6-6, 7-7, 8-8 or 9-9 day? Most babies start their day b/n 6-8am so lets base it on 7am ;). Most babies start waking at night after 4 months because of an incorrect EASY so I would try & work on that (& that means waking her up every morning to set her little internal clock). At her age, she would benefit from being on 4hr EASY, so eating every 4 hrs & napping in between with approx 2 - 2.25 hrs A time (the morning A time is generally shorter)

So lets say she wakes at 7am, her ideal day would be:

7am - wake & feed
7am - 9am
9am - morning nap
10.30-11am - she wakes & feed. Don't let her sleep longer then 2hrs
12.30-1pm - afternoon nap
2-2.30pm - wakes from nap & feed
4:30-5pm - catnap (45mins)
FEED
7.30pm - bedtime & you could do a "top up" feed before bed
DF

She may wake up for another early morning feed towards 4/5ish or she may sleep straight through. Not uncommon for 5mo's to have 1night feed + DF.

I would work on EASY at this stage. You're not being cruel!

Post back any q's you have
Layla

Offline sabers78

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:30:20 am »
Thank you for your quick reply Layla - I'll have to work on the EASY.  I guess that's just been my biggest struggle.  I don't know why...
We'll see how it goes.  If I think of any questions, I'll ask...none right now :)

Offline sabers78

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:38:00 am »
Actually - I will ask this - So, do you think because she's not waking at 7am, that's why she's waking at 2ish? 
Do you agree that she's probably not hungry at this time?
Or has she slept too much during the day?
Which is doesn't seem like when I go to see her, she acts pretty tired at 2ish and wants to sleep but seems to want me to 'sooth' her (She has never taken the paci. I tried, and tried, and tried!!).

Offline Layla

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 22:24:32 pm »
I am sorry I don't understand the question :-\. I think she's waking at night because of an incorrect EASY & her acting "tired" but being unable to put herself back to sleep is an indication of overtiredness. She is awake for the last part of the day for 3-3/5hrs & thats a very long stretch for a 5mo.

She doesn't have to take the dummy. Not all babies do & I wouldn't try anymore cause if she's not had it for 5 months, there is really no need for it now

Offline sabers78

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 02:46:33 am »
Thanks for your help and input !