Author Topic: Please share your Air Travel with a 15 mo old tips :)  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Mamalou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Please share your Air Travel with a 15 mo old tips :)
« on: July 09, 2007, 19:36:56 pm »
So next week (agh! I can't believe it's soo soon!!) we're flying to the States to visit my family (we live in Slovakia).  I've taken my LO once before, but he was 5mo old then, so I expect it will be different.
Thankfully, this time my husband will be going (Godwilling he gets his visa-we find out this week, fingers crossed!) so I'll have help.
We fly first to Prague (1 hr I think) and then to Atlanta, and then to Brunswick (GA). 

I wanted to ask, I've heard of some people giving their babies an antihistamine to help them sleep ont he plane...I've been thinking of doing this as the last time he had trouble sleeping (it was a LONG trip).  My dh says no, but I think I'll try to talk him into it... any thoughts on this? Anyone done this? 
Before my last trip with my LO I'd said, "no that's silly" but now of course I think differently, not just for us to get some rest on the plane, but also him. 

Also, the time change is -6 hrs.  We leave in the  morning and get there in the evening (GA time) so not reallly sure how to handle the time change with his routine and  all... currently I wake him from am nap at 20 min and pm nap at 2 hrs--should I just let him sleep (if he will?)  or limit it?

And he's just started walking (only does a few steps un-aided though before falling).  I've heard it's good to let them walk up and down the aisle, but I've also heard it's not good as they'll want to do ONLY that. 

Any suggestions/advice or your experiences will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Kristi 

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Please share your Air Travel with a 15 mo old tips :)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 00:50:53 am »
Oh, I will be watiching this for posts, as we are flying to Canada with a 13 month old in a few weeks :o

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 21:14:57 pm »
Kristi - just some ideas from when we flew to Hawaii (21+ hrs flying time  :o and -11 hrs time diff).  Sonja C gave me a great routine which we used as a guide but didn't stick too rigidly to (i.e. Seren only slept for 1 hr in the 1st flight as we had no bassinett or car seat for her).

- Try & keep a sort of structure to his time (i.e. food at the same intervals etc). 
- Try & stagger naps at similar intervals but be aware of times when he may not do so well or may need a long nap beforehand to get him through it (i.e. waiting in the airport). 
- Make sure you have PLENTY of snacks & toys/books.  Have things squirrelled away, esp. new things that he will lots of fun exploring for a while. 
- Try & get the bulkhead seats if poss - you can request at check in or even before hand.  Even though you won't be using the bassinet you will be so thankful for the legroom & floor space for Kubko to play in!
- Be prepared for a difficult few days, he WILL be distrupted, he WILL wake at night, he WILL need comforting etc.  BUT he WILL settle down into the new times quite quickly if you are very consistent with his routine in the 1st few days.  Try & keep these 1st days pretty low-key and make family come to you so you can put him down for naps easily etc.
- RELAX!!!  One thing I learnt was to let go when we were in Hawaii, I let her stay up late some nights, took her to restaurants etc and she was fine.  We just made sure we had a settled day the next day. 

Good luck & feel free to PM me with any questions!
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 15:56:04 pm »
Check out the sticky on the top of the forum for baby/toddler travel tips.  I would stay away from the antihistamine if you've never given it before as it has the opposite effect on some kids and actually makes them hyper.

Offline Mamalou

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 16:51:23 pm »
Thank you!

Yep, that's what I've also heard about giving an antihistamine..thank you

Shanaz- what sort of toys would you recommend bringing? Sorry if this is obvious, but don't want to bring too many toys as I know he'll receive many from family, but I do want to keep him entertained on the plane :) 

thanks
Kristi

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 17:48:18 pm »
Kristi -

Toys - I recommend:

Books - esp. touch & feel ones, particular favourite toys that aren't too big, quiet toys! but don't be afraid to take some that make a noise as long as it's not too clacky or loud, a favourite soft toy (i.e. grover!), nothing with fiddly bits that can roll away under seats, perhaps a sensory treasure box, something that uses concentration and focus.

Ummm, not sure what else, I think that covers it. 
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 00:56:03 am »
Let's see...I always take Tylenol and some Benadryl (antihistamine) in our carry-on just in case.  But, I know that it won't knock DD out, but if she's overwhelmed or overtired and having a hard time settling, it can knock the rough edges off.  I've never used it but for a long flight...I'd take it.  But DD has taken it without complications so I'm comfy with it.

I would recommend a bagful of toys that are NEW to your LO in whatever your LO is interested in at the moment.  Don't let them play with them at your destination so they'll be "New" on the return trip and try to save a few to use only on the return flight.  We flew a couple of months ago and stickers were a HUGE hit.  Especially Tigger and Elmo stickers - her current favs.  You might even consider gift wrapping them to stretch them out for a bit cuz you can give the trash to the attendants. 

Bring your LOs drinking cup and encourage A LOT of water consumption and be prepared to change a diaper on the seat cuz not all flights have in-flight changing tables. 

We have not let DD walk the aisles cuz with her personality that's ALL she would want to do.   She's tenacious and the entire rest of the flight would be a battle and I wasn't willing to do that. But our flights have only been about 3-4 hours long. 

That's all I have for now!  Good luck!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 02:39:54 am »
DVD player was a godsend for us on our trips!  DD only watched a little at a time, but it all added up to 30 minutes or more which was HUGE!!!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Mamalou

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 11:06:35 am »
thanks girls
Kubko's actually sick just now :( not puking anymore (that was the first night) and the fever is gone, but he's still got diarrea and consequently, now a bum rash :(  I can't believe it as just before our last trip to the States he got a stomach bug and had the same problem!! agh!!

I don't think we'll be trying the meds-- just don't have time now to try them out first and would hate to have him go 'nutso' (LOL Stacy-nice choice of words :) ) And with the walking, I think we'll let him as he's at a stage right now anyway, where he doesn't want to walk soo much, he gets tired (he still needs help) and I think it'll help him use up some energy.  I just hope he sleeps at least a little bit on the long flight! 

We do have a seat for him on all flights and we are bringing our carseat (hope it fits!) so hopefully that'll help.

We don't have a dvd player, but I will bring my laptop that he can watch dvds on.. not sure how I'll keep him away from the keyboard though  ::)

thanks so much again
Kristi

Offline szaniab

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 14:44:16 pm »
I've just spotted it on the Internet:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289119,00.html

Offline Mamalou

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 16:36:08 pm »
yes, someone on our birth thread has already shared that.. guess I'll make sure he's not saying 'bye bye plane' by then.  LOL.
How freaking ridiculous. My twin sister is a flight attendant, can't wait to hear her thoughts .. :)

thanks again
Kristi

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 12:50:24 pm »
When we flew to Mexico (only 4 hours and at 15 months old) and to London (8 hours and at 19 months old) both times the flight attendants encouraged us to let him walk around or come hang around the back!  ;D :o On the flight home from London they even took him to the cockpit to meet the captain and see the controls etc...and gave him some wings! (pin of captain wings to put on his shirt)  ;D  We flew Air Canada to Mexico and British Airways to London BTW.  I must say the trip to Mexico although shorter, was harder for us to keep amused and in his seat, I think it was an age thing, sorry Kristi,:( I found this the toughest age so far, 3 months and 8 months were a breeze)  With the flight to London on the way there it was an overnight flight which was tough at first as the flight left at 9pm but by the time the drinks, meal service, duty free etc..were finished, the lights were not off until 11:30pm.  I got up and held him on my shoulder and walked and bounced him at the back and he fell asleep on me and lay him on the empty seat between DH and I and he did not wake until the decent for landing.  On the way back to Toronto it was an 8am flight and we did the same thing for his nap and he slept for about 1hr and 40.  He does not watch TV so we used singing, books, colouring, stickers, his tool box and doctors kit and eating as activities.  DH and I took shifts letting him go for a walk down the aisle to the back as we were in biz class and it was a nice long walk.  Most people are up walking on long haul flights for circulation as long as you don't get up during meals or duty free.  We also played in the bathroom for a bit!  :o   :P  At this age compared to the last time, he also grasped the concept of seating in our seats and wearing seatbelts, so I often would say when I needed a break, it's time to do it, here comes the lady and once the flight attendant did a fake check for us, she was great. He also would stand in front of his middle seat and put his toys or books there and hang out, so at least he was standing. He was really good on that journey home and the looks we got at first like you are bringing a toddler in biz class!?  (hey, we had an upgrade and it was not 1st class!)  For the decent and landing he had to be in my arms and that was the hardest part, so we sang the wheels on he bus with 55 different verses to keep him amused!  At the luggage carousal a proper British elderly gentleman came up to me and said: "He was jolly good for such a long flight!"  I blushed.   :-[ ;D 

HTH,

Aisling x

Ps.  I have a few more tips re time change etc... but my monster beckons to go outside! I'll be back.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:53:44 pm by aisling »