Author Topic: Goat's Milk Question?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Goat's Milk Question?
« on: June 05, 2007, 01:54:58 am »
Abby is MSPI and has reflux.  She has been on Neocate since she was 4 months old.  She tested negative for both milk and soy allergies.  I had her stool tested for milk and soy intolerance and it came back positve.  No suprise there! ;)  She is now almost 14 months and I am trying to switch her to goat's milk.  We are switching insurances companies in July and I am not sure if the new one will cover the Neocate like our current one and it is so expensive! :o 

I started adding 1 ounce of goat's milk to her am bottle 2.5wks ago.  I did this for 1wk then increased it to 2ounces for another week.  Then I added 2 ounces to her afternoon bottle.  So far I haven't seen any reactions.  I am wondering how slow to intro it?  I called her pedi GI for help and she basically told me not to switch her to goat's milk b/c it is low in proteins.  She said to keep her on the Neocate.  We aren't even going back to the GI after lots of problems with her and rudness to me on the phone!  Well I called her pedi and he said it is fine just to add a multi-vitamin with folic acid in it to her diet. 

Has anyone with a MSPI lo switched to goat's milk?  And how slow did you intro it?

Thanks! ;D
Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Goat's Milk Question?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:29:32 am »
Goat's milk is no lower in proteins than cow's milk is - so if your doctor would be ok with cow's milk at her age they should be OK with goat milk. But some milk intolerant/allergic babies have a problem with goat's milk too (although certainly not all) so just go very slowly and keep a close eye out for reactions.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 20:20:40 pm »
We will be switching to Goat's Milk down the road and my ped. said the same thing Karen mentioned about adding vitamins, iron and folic acid.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:03:24 am »
My DD is on goat milk and we give her a multivitamin with iron daily and she eats a nice amount of foods with B vitamins as well. Good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline camorrissette

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 22:28:50 pm »
My son had an allergy to cow's milk.  We tried the goat's milk and he had the same reaction.  After this experiment with goat's milk I was told that cow's milk and goat's milk have similar protiens so Nolan had a protien allergy not a lactose allergy.  I would just watch for reactions.  Have you tried lactose free formula?  They are a little more cheaper than Neocate.  If the goat's milk is working I think it will be alright.  I have heard many success stories with other babies on goat's milk.  Good Luck!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:42:32 pm »
My son reacts badly to goats milk aswell as cows milk and soy milk. I have heard that some people tolerate goats milk though.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline camorrissette

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 19:04:29 pm »
My uderstanding is that if the baby reacts to goat's milk and cow's milk it is a milk protien allergy because the protien in the two are simmilar.  If the baby reacts to cow's milk and not goat's milk then it is a lactose allergy because the lactose is different in the two.  I never tried the soy milk.  The we used the lactose free formula instead.  There is no soy in it.  It is that the lactose has been altered.  I figure everyone is different and if you find some thing that works, stick with it.

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 01:56:15 am »
Lactose intolerance and MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance) are completely different.  A baby can have MSPI and not tolerate cow's milk but tolerate goat's milk.  Abby was tested for MSPI so I know that she is intolerant to both cow's milk and soy.  Plus I know b/c the only formula that she could tolerate was Neocate. 

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03