Author Topic: Similar symptoms but not allergy  (Read 978 times)

Offline szaniab

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Similar symptoms but not allergy
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:12 am »
Hi,
I wanted to share my experience that I had with my DS when he was 6 months old. Even before I started to introduce solids his face got gradually covered in very dry spots - first small but then linked together it formed big areas of red and very dry skin. With time the patches started to appear on the body too. They would disappear being treated with hydrocortison cream but kept coming back after couple of days. Since it is not particularly advisable to use hydrocorticon on everyday basis I've had some allergy test (blood) made but these brought no conclusion (against milk, egg, carrot, potato). Then I was advised to have also the poo tested against parasties, mould and fungus and the results showed an increased amounts of Candida albicans cells. My doctor suspected trush so he applied an antyfungal treatment with fluconazole. After 2 weeks all the rush and dry skin started to gradually disappear. I kept moisturising Ds with a plain cream too. Now with a whole variety of solids we do not have any similar problem - though I keep adding probiotic to his milk. So if there are problems indicating the source of allergy it's also worth testing against fungus and parasites like Giardia - these give very similar symptoms to allergy but can be cured pretty well.

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: Similar symptoms but not allergy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:30:50 pm »
thats good to know,thank you for sharing :)....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline lovedtodeath

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:56:02 am »
Thank you so much for thinking to share this with us! So true!