Author Topic: Egg allergy in mother  (Read 786 times)

Offline tgatskie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 17, 2007, 13:53:20 pm »
As a child I had a severe allergic reaction to anything that had eggs in it (to the point it would swell my throat shut if I came in contact with them).  I have since grown out of my allergy (well for the most part), but am scared to death to give my 9 month old daughter anything with eggs in it.  I am becoming more aware of this since she is beginning to eat table food and I'm trying to be very careful.  I have heard from other people to not give her anything with eggs in it until she's two years old but the pediatrician just tells me to try it and see what happens.  I am scared to just "try it" because if she has a reaction anything similar to what my reaction was she could end up in the hospital!  He claims that allergies such as that aren't always hereditary and she may not even have the allergy (especially since my husband has no allergies).....any thoughts on how to handle this?

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Egg allergy in mother
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 14:00:38 pm »
I would wait until 2 years of age given the severity of your egg allergy. I don't think your pediatrician gave you very good advice as I thought it was always advised to not introduce eggs until 2 when there is a known egg allergy in the family. Maybe different advice is given depending on which country you are in.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline tgatskie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 14:03:03 pm »
That's what I thought.  There have been other discrepancies with what my pediatrician has told me too.  I am in the process of switching pediatricians as a result.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Egg allergy in mother
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 15:14:12 pm »
I am glad I could be of help.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker