Author Topic: I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!  (Read 106497 times)

Offline ~*~Little Miss Sunshine~*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007, 20:50:50 pm »
Yay for Alice!  I do hope this is coming to an end for you.  Sending you great sleep vibes!!

Offline grahamsmama

• Showing Appreciation 38
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 23:51:35 pm »
Oh good!  Meghan seems to be doing a little bit better today too.  She will take about 3-4 ounces and then a little more after a bit of a break.  It's taking about an hour per feed and she's taking about 5 ounces.  Once feed today she took 7 full ounces over an hour with some active time in between!

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2007, 11:48:36 am »
Good for Meghan!  Hope this keeps up for you guys!  It gives me hope  :)

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2007, 13:18:08 pm »
Alice woke at 1.20am today and needed feeding.  She took a full feed.  However, today she's being difficult again.  I wonder if it's related to how tired she is by the time she's eating.  Given that she's a 45 minuter, max, it's very difficult.  Here's a typical day:
6.30am Wake
6.45am feed until 7.45
8.15am Sleep
9.00am Wake
She's not due a feed then until 9.45am. 
So if we feed her when she wakes she's only doing a 2.5hr EASY.  So then how do we get her to transition to a 4 hour EASY.
We tend to keep her up until the feed is nearly due, but then sometimes she's been up an hour before the feed. 

No matter when I put her down to sleep she'll only sleep 35-45 mins.  She just seems so tired all the time.  If only she realised that if her feeds took 30 mins then she could have about an hour of play time, rather than hardly any at all.  Silly girl!!

Really glad Meghan is doing much better, hope you've had a better day than we have, so far.

A friend told me that no matter what happens, each day is a new day, you can start all over again tomorrow.

Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

The Lord is my Shepherd, I'll not want.

[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1097063.png[/img]

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2007, 16:15:37 pm »
Sorry to hear you are having a rough day  :'(  My day hasn't been very good either but it doesn't have much to do with the feeding.  Ds has had a mild fever for a week so I finally called the doctor this morning since he wasn't really acting himself and his fever was 100 degrees (not alarming but I thought I should have him looked at).  so of course the dr. wants to see him during his first nap.  I had JUST put him down, so I had to get him up and bring him to the appointment.  Well, needless to say he only slept for 30 minutes.  It is now past noon and he has been hysterical trying to go down for his second nap.  He's been at it for 45 minutes and cannot seem to settle.  UGH!!!  I am already dreading what the night may bring.  Of course when we get him to the dr.s he no longer has a temperature. Doesn't that figure??  But that's a good thing. He has a bit of a cold and the dr. also noticed his gums are red so he is starting to teeth already.  OH MY!! His feeds haven't been too bad today but I think that is because he is so tired he can't fuss too much.  Hope your day goes better Pauline!

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2007, 20:50:50 pm »
That's a real pain when the appointments don't fit into the routine.  Hopefully you'll have a good night.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Really hope his cold clears up soon.  Did the Dr suggest anything to try for the teething?  That could also explain why he doesn't want to feed, his poor wee gums are sore. 

Strangely, although Alice isn't feeding great and we're struggling to get decent amounts into her, she seems really happy to go to sleep on her own at the moment.  She starts to cry a bit downstairs, I take her up to her room, put her in the cot, swaddle her, give her the dummy, close the curtains and kiss her on the forehead and say "see you when you wake up" and leave the room.  Within 5 minutes I can't hear anything at all on the monitor.  She did it for the first time tonight at her bed time.  So hopefully she's learning to put herself to sleep, she still wakes after 45 mins.  Not sure if this training will eventually mean she'll go back to sleep if she wakes up during her naps.  Anyway, it's progress indeed and hopefully we can do this with every nap and that it'll continue. 

Today she was really fussy and screamed quite a lot during her feeds.  The past couple of days she was much calmer and just turning her head away when she didn't want the feed, today she was screaming again.  It's just not very pleasant.  Hoping tomorrow will be better.
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2007, 21:44:47 pm »
That's great that Alice is doing much better going to sleep on her own.  I know that is a huge battle sometimes and it just makes it all worth it when you put them down and walk away knowing they will go to sleep by themselves!!  Hope that continues!

The doctor didn't suggest anything for the teething (surprisingly) but ds has been chewing on anything he can get his hands on.  I purchased some Hyland's Teething Tablets as I have seen some moms recommend them.  I also think I will get out some teethers and put them in the freezer.  I also might try wetting the end of a washcloth and sticking that in the freezer as well to see which he likes better.  I have a feeling he will like the washcloth better since he loves to chew on his burp cloth  :)

It's funny, I didn't even think teething might be the cause of his feeding issues because I thought he was a bit too young, but I guess not!  I think it is a combination of teething and him being more interested in things going on around him.  He doesn't always scream during feedings....sometimes he just coos and smiles.  I guess only time will tell!

Here's hoping for a good evening for both of us!!

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2007, 21:55:34 pm »
Pauline - I also wanted to add that my lo has been doing the 45 minute nap thing and for about a week ALL of his naps were 45 minutes.  (I am afraid I will jinx myself if I say this here but I will do it anyway).  Lately, at least ONE nap is at least 1.5 hours, sometimes 2.  The last nap today was 1.5 hours, so I do think ds is starting to work out his 45 minute nap problem (although pretty slowly, but I'll take what I can get).  Sometimes he will wake and cry for a few seconds at the 45 minute mark then go back to sleep, but that has only happened a handful of times.  I think Alice will do better once she can consistently put herself to sleep.  I do hope this gives you a bit of hope :)

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2007, 11:34:45 am »
Pauline, I am pleased that you have not been involved in the floods.  Thankfully, we have not had any near us eaither - it has just been awful though  :'(

I know what you mean about your mum saying about lo's having solids so young etc and it did not do them any harm.  My DS was a very big boy, and I felt very pressurised to put him onto solids before 6 months.  In the end I caved - I was having the same problems as you all with not taking the bottle well etc, and eventually gave in when he was around 5 months.  Although my DS took the solids well, they did not agree with him.  They ended up giving him sever constipation as his tummy was just not ready for them.  He ended up in hospital for a week due to constipation as he was not eating or drinking anything.  :(

I am pleased that she started to take the bottle again - fingers crossed that it is a start.

Yay Megan  ;D

Hugs Anne, I am sorry you had such a rough time with DS - I do hope that your night was not too bad.

Pauline, with regards to Alices naps - from what you say, with her waking between 30-45 minutes, it sounds like she is not able to get herself into that deeper stretch of sleep, and is waking at the jolt.  Have a look at this link from the naps section.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64161.msg476655#msg476655

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2007, 16:39:35 pm »
Thanks for all the encouragement. 

Anne, I'm glad your son is working out how to go to sleep on his own.  You might find that once the tooth/teeth are through, that the feeding issue solves too.  I think we were hoping it would be that, because then at least there's a reason for her not feeding.  She is an incredibly aware and alert baby and so we think that maybe she is just so interested in her surroundings and wanting to do other things (she is always eyeing up the baby gym) that she doesn't want to eat.  Someone else on another post said that she thought Alice's sleep would sort out when she goes to a 4 hour routine.  But it's chicken and egg, what comes first, the 4 hour routine or sorting out the sleep to get to a 4 hour routine.

Paula,  I had a look at that link and it looks very interesting and helpful.  I think I'll give it a go next weekend when my husband is here to take it in turns.  Thanks for the link.  Sorry to hear about your problems when starting to spoon feed, it must've been a fairly scary time for you.  It's interesting because I don't know anyone with a child who has waited until 6 months.  Most started around 5-5.5 months.

We are still wondering about the whole reflux issue, we'll see what the health visitor has to say on Thursday.  However, probably in for a rough week anyway, due to jabs on Tuesday, they really disagree with her.

Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2007, 18:58:09 pm »
Sorry to hear Alice has to go for jabs on Tuesday.  Mine has to go a week from tuesday.  NOT looking forward to it.  DS took a huge step backwards when he had his 2 month shots so I am hoping things don't go that bad this time around!

Offline hermom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2007, 21:43:56 pm »
This sounds all tooo familiar, I have posted on here too about the same problem.  My daughter is only 12 weeks but still, the only thing I found that works is distraction and this only works sometimes, I go in the kitchen turn on the fan above the stove cause it's a loud white noise and she will start to take the bottle.  last week was really bad this week her thing is she will take a definite break half way in between the bottle I will burp her but usually thats not enough I will have to try burping her lots more , meanwhile she is wailing and I at this point go to the kitchen.  My dd also started spitting up more and hiccuping more which is kind of ironic since we just started putting her on reflux meds (to rule out reflux, she had many symptoms).  I feel for you all.  I wish someone had a concrete answer for us.

Offline hermom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2007, 21:47:24 pm »
his sounds all tooo familiar, I have posted on here too about the same problem.  My daughter is only 12 weeks but still, the only thing I found that works is distraction and this only works sometimes, I go in the kitchen turn on the fan above the stove cause it's a loud white noise and she will start to take the bottle.  last week was really bad this week her thing is she will take a definite break half way in between the bottle I will burp her but usually thats not enough I will have to try burping her lots more , meanwhile she is wailing and I at this point go to the kitchen.  My dd also started spitting up more and hiccuping more which is kind of ironic since we just started putting her on reflux meds (to rule out reflux, she had many symptoms).  I feel for you all.  I wish someone had a concrete answer for us.

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2007, 13:51:33 pm »
Having a very bad day.  She took her normal 200ml nearly 7oz first thing, then the next feed 60mls, 2oz and then 80ml nearly 3oz.  She just screams every time the bottle is brought anywhere near her mouth.  She seems to calm down once she's winded might take a bit more, but then stops and cries lots again.  Then falls asleep.  So I changed my bottle from Tommee Tippee to Playtex and she took another 60mls out of that after having pooed. I do think there's something digestive going on.  She then fell asleep again during last feed, so put her straight up to bed. 

Really not sure what to do next.  The problem seems to be getting worse not better.
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2007, 13:55:16 pm »
Pauline - sorry to hear you are having a bad day  :(  Yesterday wasn't so fun for me either.  The worst was his bedtime feed.  It took 30 minutes to get him to START eating!!  ARG!  I completely understand your frustration.  This morning ds fed for only 15 minutes (usually feeds for 25) after that it was such a struggle i just gave up.  And he was starting to sleep straight through without a night feed, but he has gone backwards again and I have been having to give him feeds at night.  Does Alice sleep through or do you have to feed her at night?  (I think you answered this before, so please forgive me)