Author Topic: Takes her an hour to fall asleep!  (Read 724 times)

Offline 2Kats

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Takes her an hour to fall asleep!
« on: July 22, 2007, 18:27:08 pm »
I am starting to get really frustrated with DD.  It takes her an hour (sometimes longer) to fall asleep for her nap and at bedtime.  I know she is tired when I put her down so I don't know what is causing her to not fall asleep.  She never cries but just talks to herself and jumps around her crib.  I have tried everything I can think of to help her.  I have put her to bed earlier, later, shortening her nap and none of it seems to work.  We do a wind-down routine of a book and cuddles in the rocking chair with her pacifier and lovey and she seems tired then but after I leave the room she gets all wound up and won't sleep.  I go in multiple times and tell her to go to sleep and every time I open the door she immediately lays down and pretends she is sleeping.  ::)  I just don't know what to do anymore.  I have never rocked her to sleep and she has always been so good at going to sleep right away except for the last few months.  Do you think she is doing it just to get my attention?  Should I not go in there and tell her to go to sleep at all?  I'm not sure she would every fall asleep if I didn't.  When it takes her so long to fall asleep it throws off the whole routine for the rest of the day.  Any thoughts?  Here is our routine:

6:00-6:30 - wake up and sippy of milk
7:30 - breakfast
11:30 - lunch
12:00-12:30 - put down for a nap
2:30-? - wake up (depends on when she actually falls asleep.  I would like her up by 2:30 otherwise she seems to not be tired at bedtime and wakes up at 5:30 in the morning)
4:00 - snack
6:00 - dinner
7:30 - bedtime (falls asleep between 8:00 and 8:30 most nights)

Jenny

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
Re: Takes her an hour to fall asleep!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 20:44:55 pm »
Not really any advice for you, but just letting you know that Cait just turned two and we have this problem also.  Only difference is that we had to take her out of the crib and put her into a toddler bed.  So, whereas your's stays in bed and talks and jumps, mine actually gets OUT and walks around.  Very frustrating, let me tell you.

I basically stand at her cracked door and when she calls for me, tell her "ssshhhh".  If she starts crying, I tell her "you are okay, go to sleep".

Just keep in mind that we as adults do not shut our eyes first off and then are asleep.  Think about all of the things that run through your head before you finally snooze.  It's the same for them.  Just be consistant.  My son is 5.5 yo and has just now in the last year become a champ at bedtime. 

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline SallyDom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 21:04:34 pm »
I am by no means an expert in this (am having super problems myself recently) but I would be tempted to leave your lo without going in and talking to her or anything (as long as she doesn't cry or get upset of course) but wake her up at the time you want her to be awake (or only a little later if she hasn't had very long at all). By doing this it will make her tired for her next nap/bedtime so she may eventually settle out and start going to sleep sooner. If you try this and she gets all overtired and stressed then I really apologise!

Sal
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 22:42:47 pm »
You can't make her sleep! (don't you wish thou ;)). You can provide her the right environment & make sure the last 30mins before nap & bedtime is fairly low key, etc....

Toddlers go through a phase where they won't nap. She's too young to be giving up naps so its probably just a phase. I wouldn't even be going in there if she's just chatting to herself/playing. Still attempt for a nap every day & at least she's having quiet time. I understand the frustration - my 2yo has done this a couple of times & it does mean a very cranky toddler in late evening. Do an earlier bedtime on the days she's not sleeping to avoid her from getting overtired. So if no nap, bedtime at 6/6.30pm. Isabella has ALWAYS slept until her normal wake up time (also around 6ish) even when I put her to bed that early.

Has anything happened though lately? New nursery? Could she be teething perhaps?

You might also want to try a nap no later than 12pm (to be in cot by) cause she might be slightly overtired by 12.30pm.

Let me know how you go
Layla
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 22:46:05 pm by Isabella&Jasmine's mum »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby