Author Topic: short naps-waking up so cranky  (Read 705 times)

Offline Henna21

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 18, 2007, 14:15:53 pm »
My LO (11 weeks) sometimes takes short naps and sometimes takes long naps.  So far i have not seen a pattern or even a consistency of how long the naps will be (meaning a short nap could be 30 minutes or 40 minutes or 45 minutes). When she wakes up from a short nap she is so cranky and SCREAMS bloody murder until I take her out of the room.  I need to extend her naps because she is much happier after a long nap (as i am too) and i think she is able to stay up for longer after she has had a long nap.
I can't imagine sitting by her bassinet the whole time she is sleeping (i think i would go nuts) just waiting for her to stir and i don't see how wake to sleep would work since the length of her naps have no consistency.  this is driving me nuts.  please help.

here is what our day looked like yesterday (bec of the irregularity of naps, we don't have a regular routine yet)
Tuesday July 17th
6:00 E
6:20- A
7:30 - S
8:30- E
8:45-A
9:00-9:30 put to sleep
9:30-10:30-S
10:50-snack
11:00 put to sleep
12:20 A
12:50 put to sleep
1:00 S
2:00 E
2:15 A (took a walk!!!! We actually made it outside today)
3:00 put to sleep
3:05 sleeping
3:50 A
4:15 E
4:30 A
4:50-6:10 try to put to sleep
6:15 E
6:30 bath
6:45 E
6:55 put to sleep
7:00 sleep
7:45 wake up, put back to sleep
and on and on and on

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: short naps-waking up so cranky
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 17:28:41 pm »
My advice to you would be to get into a more consistent routine. That's absolutely key to things fallings into place. It seems like you're feeding quite often so that makes me think that she is snacking and not taking a good feed. Instead of being on a 3 hour EASY you're doing something like a 2 hour which isn't good for anyone.

If you look in the EASY forum, there are example routines for each age range - take a peek there and that can give you an idea of what other people with LOs the same age find works well.

Also, from 0-3 mo LOs work on ogranizing their nighttime sleep. From 3-6 mo they work on daytime sleep (naps). So right now, she isn't paying much attention to naps yet.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o