Author Topic: Can teething cause this behavior?  (Read 2166 times)

Gigismom

Can teething cause this behavior?
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:59:22 am »
i don't know where to post this, so feel free to move.

my dd, age 14 months, has been OUT OF CONTROL lately.  she screams, cries, gets hysterical out of the blue.  this has been happening for the last month or so.  she has her 4 top teeth coming in (2 have broken through) and now i see the 1 year molars at the surface. 

i remember my dd1 being fussy/cranky with teething, but NOTHING like this.  i'm wondering if this is normal for teething or if i should investigate to see if something else is going on.

TIA.

binxyboo

Re: Can teething cause this behavior?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:12:08 am »
Riley was an *okay* teether until the one year molars hit. He was so cranky I brought him to the doctors twice to get checked out, and called numerous other times. Then came the eye teeth. Now we are getting all four 2 year molars ::) Fun times in this house :P

I would bring her in to get checked, just to be on the safe side, if it were me. Esp if it was been going on a while. But it tooks months before the first molar actually broke through for us.  Oh, and also we were switching to one nap, which didn't help matters, I am sure.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:55:01 am »
Wow!  It sounds like you've Bug-napped my DD!  Yep, that was/is teething for us.  Not all of them, but when a group would come through or these darn eye-teeth, we sometimes think she's possessed.  Seriously two weeks ago she'd depleted my patience by 5pm on Saturday and I turned her over to DH.  He was "on" until he ran out about noon on Sunday and mine hadn't been replenished yet.  It was a struggle to finish out Sunday but we made it. 

I would get her checked to make sure it's not ears, nose or a sore throat or something else, but yeah...it can be teething unfortunately.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:29:42 am »
I hate molars.   :(  >:(

~~back to her sweet Camille self vibes~~

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:54:25 pm »
just looked in charley mouth one day and she had all her teeth but with lucy we have had an awful time, she was horrible for weeks, i never gave charley any pain relief until she was 2 years but with lucy i have used a few bottles of pain relief,it was hard for me at the beginning to give her pain relief as it was all new to me, she calmed down once the pain relief kicked in, and then one day she was happy again, can't hurt to take her to the doctors although i understand how hard with two lo's and no family support, hugs sylvia xoxo

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 13:01:30 pm »
I definitely find that teething effect the way DS acts.  Only problem is that I don't realize it is teeth until they have already poked through.  The few days prior I get so frustrated with his tantrums, whining etc.  Then feel guilty when I realize it was probably his teeth.  :-[ :-[
Judy

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 13:31:34 pm »
Owen took teething very hard.  I can't tell you how many times I have taken him to the pedi KNOWING he had an ear infection or something and have them tell me he is just teething :-\  He was miserable, my poor bugger. 

I think you should take her in just to be safe, to rule anything else out.

Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Gigismom

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 13:39:39 pm »
yikes sorry so many of your lo's had a hard time too!  it's awful.  gianna isn't used to camille acting like this, so she keeps saying "what is wrong with camille?" 

we've had our usual slough of dr's appts in the past few weeks and they keep saying "oh, it's probly teething", but i guess i should have them do a more thorough exam just to make sure. 

I HATE TEETHING!!!!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 15:54:35 pm »
When E got his one year molars he was a mess.  He was whiny and clingy and hardly ate or slept.  Some days I would give him drugs just cause I couldnt handle it anymore :-[.  Once they were through though he was totally fine again.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 17:07:11 pm »
Just wanted to echo everyone else L.  :-*
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 17:07:41 pm »
Lindsey - Does teething gel help?  Tylenol or Advil (try both cuz one might work when the other doesn't) or even those frozen teething rings?  If nothing seems to give relief and it lasts much longer, I'd go back and press the docs for more.  

You haven't introduced any new foods have you?  No reason to think an allergy is bringing this on?  Or even just tummy upset from a new food?
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 17:11:12 pm »
{{HUGS}} Lindsey. Shay was a nightmare with his teething. I always know when one will cut through, he becomes a little horror. Not his usual self at all.

I bet that is 'all' it is, but it doesn't hurt getting her checked.

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php