Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!!14m old has pick up sleep problems  (Read 5740 times)

Offline elmarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 263
Re: PLEASE HELP!!14m old has pick up sleep problems
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 17:16:35 pm »
Hi there again,

Thanks for all the advice.  I really appreciate it.  Today the morning nap was only 25 min (it took 20 min to get DD to sleep) and afternoon nap took 1/2h and DD only slept for 1h.  Tonight again took 45min and she only fell asleep at 7pm (an hours later than her normal bedtime).  Will let you know how the night go.

Can somebody please give  advise about sleeping in her room say from 4am when DD seems to wake up.  It settlled her within a min or two and she slept till 6.30.

Thanks again

ElmarieX

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 18:04:35 pm »
Hi
I have been there too, with the sleeping in the room in early hrs of morning.  I have had to lay on floor and cover over with a blanket, so generally what happens is DD and I go to sleep then I wake up as I'm uncomfortable and creep back to bed, if she wakes 1hr or so later I do the same.  I also do modified WI/PD/WO technique at all other times.  What I found was the better I could get her to settle at bed time and any early evening wake up's the less she wakes up in early hours and the more I built up her trust at these times when I could cope with doing WI/PD/WO the easier it became to do the same thing at 4am or whatever ungodly hour she would wake up in the morning.  Due to 2/1 nap transition we have had a lot of NW recently and now I can generally just go in do PD and leave and she will go right back of to sleep.

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 20:57:31 pm »
I found success differently to both newmum and M&N's mum.  I actually climbed into bed with my lo (but she is in a big bed) at those early wakes.  She went back to sleep easily, didn't miss so much sleep, so it helped avoid getting her overtired, and as I built her trust in the evenings, how often she needed me to come in decreased until now she cries out in her sleep and I don't have to go most days at all, and if I do go, it is simply PD and leave again.

You may need to experiment what works best for you and your lo.
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline magda1461

• Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two Angels that where sent to me
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 02:03:33 am »
i too have transitioned my Dd into a big bed and this has reduced her nw's and in the last couple of nights i have just had to go in when she wakes at midnight lay down next to her till she falls asleep or calms down , takes about 30secs and then i go back to bed. she never stands up, whereas she would always be up and down in her cot as she had things to hold onto. personally i think my DD just didnt like her cot. and she loves all the pillows around her which she snuggles up to. oh and my girl is 14mths today!

Offline elmarie

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 05:21:14 am »
Hi everyone,

Thanks soooo much for helping.  Last night was bad with NW.  She woke up at 11pm left after 15min) and again at 12am.  I then slept in her room for the rest of the night as she waked every hour or so-she would give a cry and I would just say shsh and she would immediately go back to sleep.  I am going to try the suggestion of lying next to DD on mattress and then creep out when she is asleep.I will try that tonight and let you know

So I won't start accidental parenting if I sleep in the room untill we have build the trust again?

thankyou again. Will keep everybody posted.

Elmarie X 

Offline rinajack

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 07:04:06 am »
It is accidental parenting if you dont' take steps to staying less time etc. You will need to gradually move further from her bed towards the door, then eventually you will be outside the door, instead of always just right by her bed.    So you are gradually weaning yourself out of the going back to sleep process.

Waking every hour sounds to me like your lo has some other issue though...have you given any pain relief to rule out teething pain?  You could give it before bed, and if any waking during the night that is after it would have worn off, to see if there is any improvement.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline elmarie

Re: PLEASE HELP!!14m old has picked up sleep problems
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 11:38:32 am »
Hi there again,

It has been 9 nights since we started PD with DD.  Last night took 15 min of PD and she went to sleep.  Previous nights up to 45min., with several NW. Last night was the first night that DD slept through till 5.30am (which has been her normal waking time bfore. ( mommy didn't sleep very well because I become over sensitive too crying and everytime DD moved I was awake waiting for the cry!!)

I have put her back on 2 naps as suggested.  new Routine for the past week:

wake-up:5.30-6ish
Nap  9ish (30-40min-depending on the amount of NW)
Nap  1ish-2.30/2.45 (1 1/2h)
Bedtime:  start 5.45 (average time of falling asleep 6.30pm) with Pd

I have a question about PD.   

1)  Do I do PD even if she is  happy in the cot.  (I do PD only if she stands up as Tracy suggests in th BW until she settles) .  The BW is not clear on how the process of GW works.
Is this the correct way to do it even if she is not crying)

2) At what point in this process do I start the GW as DD was an independent sleeper bfore?

Can someone please let me know what is the next step

Thanks SO much for everybody's help.  the website is a great support system because you often feel so alone doing this

Elmarie X
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:19:57 pm by elmarie »

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 12:16:49 pm »
Hi
PD only works on a crying baby, one who wants to go to sleep but for some reason needs help to get there, I made this mistake at first and I think it started to become a game, I stand up make a noise, mummy lays me down, I stand up again....

What I have also found is that if I stay in the room when she is happy but standing up, even with me not looking or talking to her I become a distraction, so I started to leave the room and generally she would then get upset so I would go straight back in and lay her down and remain in the room until she was not crying then go back out, which would start her off again and I would repeat this until she would no longer just play and talk to me if I stayed in the room, which I ultimately had to do for her to fall asleep.  Not sure if that makes sense.  This sound's strange but unless she got upset I had no chance of getting her to sleep, she would, if happy, stay awake for up to 2hrs or more, my brain would want to explode and eventually she would get so overtired she would crash out, so I had to stop her messing about until overtired, does that make sense, I know it sounds backwards.

GW works when LO's are at the stage that they can only fall asleep with you present or in physical contact with you.  So say for example that DD will only fall asleep with you standing beside cot.  First you have to get them to the point where you can lay them down and providing you stand beside cot they will happily nod off to sleep fairly quickly without any real fuss.  Then when this is achieved lay them down and take a step or two away from cot and stay at this distance until they happily go to sleep, of course if you have to do a PD you then move back to where you were.  After this you just slowly over the course of several nights get further and further from the cot until you are at the door.  When they are happy with this you then have to step outside the door but don't leave completely wait until you are sure they are asleep, after this you should be back to laying her down and walking away.

I found that I had got as far as the door but couldn't quite get out of the door, so I then started a mix of walk in put down walk out.  This helped further in that as soon as I left the room if she cried out I was straight back in did PD then straight back out, after a few nights of this she was confident enough to realise that I would come right back if she needed me and was happy then to just be laid down and left at bedtime.

Some people use a chair for GW positioned differently at each step when the LO is not around so they don't even really notice the chair is moving.  Some people will find this a very long process as they have to take tiny steps towards getting out the door and for others you can get to and out the door with a lot less steps in between that will depend entirely on your LO.

Hope that helps, if you need anymore clarification you know where we are.

Offline rinajack

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 01:20:47 am »
I agree with newmum.  We had playing when I stayed also, so it I had to do WI/PD/WO.  Also we have the same thing, if she didnt' get upset, she could stay awake for hours.

If your lo is happy in the cot, and you can leave the room, then you should leave her to it returning only if she cries.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline elmarie

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 11:25:49 am »
    Hi there,

Today we had a breakthrough with our DD.  I just want to say thank you sooo much for all the advice I received.  It helped so much.

I adjusted her naps to 2 with morning being 30-45min depending on wake-up time.  3 hours later I will let her go down for afternoon nap, which turned out to be 1 1/2 hours.  Bedtime was then 3 1/2 hours later usually around 6.30.  The past 3 nights there has been no NW, waking at 5-6 which is fine as she then has had between 10.30-11.30h sleep.  It turned out that DD had a nasty ear infection and is on antibiotic and I think that that is what started the whole sleep problem fiasco..

Yesterday nap took 45min for DD to fall asleep as I think my presence was to distracting.   

I still However persevered and did PD and left the room after she fell asleep.  usually 30-45min.  Today I decided to start the modify Wi/PD/Wo suggested and read up on BW last night, I started to feel like a hostage as I'm not used to staying in room with DD untill she falls asleep(she has always been independant sleeper .  We used EASY from birth as she was well trained). At nap time I did PD aboust 3 times and when she started playing in the cot (I now know what all the sounds are on the monitor!!) I very slowly over 10 min moved over to the door(without DD noticing-will do it when she is not looking at me) opened the door and left.  She geve some mantra cries, played, mantras ect and fell asleep about 10min later.  Will do the same tonight and hopefully it will work.  Will keep you posted.

WhatI have learned:

1.  NW or sleep problems are due to some issue. DD had ear infection and I changed her routine too fast.
2.  Stick to the BW and EASY.  It's worked up to now so there is no reason that it won't now. I was tempted to change it because I thought it doesn't work.  It takes time to solve problems even with angel babies.
3. Don't charge routine too fast.  Went from 2-1 nap to fast.  Read up on website and BW first.

Once again thankyou so much for everybodies help

Elmarie XX

Offline rinajack

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 21:01:18 pm »
So pleased that you have it all sorted out now. :-* ;D
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 21:15:09 pm »
Hi Elmarie,

Saw your name and said to hubby, she must also be south african!! :) this is the first time i have seen your post, but am glad to see your issues seem to be resolved. Good luck and don't work too hard.

xx
DI

Offline elmarie

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 06:36:51 am »
HI THERE,

Yes Di we are SA and live in JHB (Melville).  Glad to see other SA are using BW.  Ordered BW for toddlers and I'm waiting for delivery!! Looking forward to that.

Last night DD slept 12 h- it's seems as if her normal sleeping pattern has returned.  i woke her up at 6.30 thid morning as I don't wont the whole routine to be out and bedtime too late tonight.  Is the correct way of doing it??? Will do normal routine of 1/2h nap at 9.30 and long nap at 1pm.

Could get out of bedroom last night but will keep working on it.  Will continue with GW, just happy that she can get herself back to sleep at night without intervention. Please let me know what everybody thinks sbout the waking after 12h to keep routine going.

ElmarieXX

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 16:21:08 pm »
I don't have a toddler as yet, and sometimes I let Henry sleep in as he is dropping his catnap - well has dropped it, but as hubby and I both work he does not get to bed every night at 7 as he should and sometimes his pm nap does not last until 4 pm so he is awake WAY too long prior to going to bed. Can't be helped unfortunately. SO I let him have a lie in to avoid him getting OT.

As your DD is in the transition between 2-1 naps, I think I would wake her, otherwise the am nap gets to be later and then the pm nap gets to be too late and you might then struggle to get her to bed at night on time. From what I have read in the past I think that would be best, but I am sure the other mums would have more recent experience and sound advice.  ;)

I know it is so difficult waking a sleeping baby esp after having a rough time of it, but it is about resetting the clock. Good luck.

I grew up in Northcliff, but prior to moving to the UK we lived in CT. Lovely.

xx
DI

Offline elmarie

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 16:38:32 pm »
Thanks Di,

Today was a bit disastrous with the nap.  had a 30 min nap am and woke up at 10.15.  Started the pm nap windown at 12.45.  By 2pm DD was still not asleep so left the nap.  Had super early bedtime and she went down at 6pm- was asleep within 5min and I manage to leave the room before she was totally asleep. 

I know that a 8h awake time is a no-no but it was not possible to get her down for a nap.  Is it maybe the start of the 2-1 switch to going to 1nap ?  i am so scared to just switch because of the sleep problems we have had the past 2 weeks.  (the last 4 nights she has slept through).  Will try and do the catnap and pm nap tomorrow again and let everybody know

ElmarieXX