Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch , thread#2  (Read 47524 times)

Offline Charlotte07

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch , thread#2
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2007, 14:37:17 pm »
Hi all;
I'd like to join this discussion...I am confused about my LO's naps. They've never been great, but I managed to extend them for a brief period. We were going through some night waking stuff too for a couple of months. Sigh.
However, in the past few weeks, she has started to sleep better at night - to bed at 7:15, sleep till 5-5:30, then nurse and sleep with me another hour (I know, I need to work on that). But, now she is starting to refuse one of her naps. Sometimes it's in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. And, the weird thing is that she is in a pretty great mood all day long. She'll rub her eyes occasionally, but not like she used to.
Oh, she is only 10 months old! Is it possible that she might be transitioning to one nap a day?

I should mention that she did this to me about a month ago with the afternoon nap, but we got back on track until now. However, she was grumpy back then if she missed the nap.

Thanks!!!!!

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2007, 17:02:38 pm »
Stacy are you there?

today Noah woke at 6:30am, so I thought ok normal day:

we were at the gym and he basically he started crying at 10:30 for no apparent reason, so here we are at home and he was still crying, so I've just layed him down at 11:05am,

so now I'm torn, do I let him sleep 5min and then get him up for his normal nap time at 12:15 or something, or do I just let him sleep---he's probably already OT---so he may only sleep til 12:30, which makes for a terrible afternoon,
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline debo620

« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2007, 17:09:56 pm »
ok, I let him sleep til 11:15---so maybe 5min or so, he's a bit better and he's watching his movie.just wasn't sure what to do :-\

I'll give him lunch and lay him down at 12 ish and he may not sleep right away but who knows?
and then early to bed tonight either way.
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2007, 17:49:22 pm »
deb
I'm so right there with you on this, its happening to me all the time, just not knowing whether to give her little nap or just let her sleep, last few times I have let her sleep she did the 1.15hr OT nap.  I did manage to squeeze a catnap for 10Min's in the other night which kept her going through till bedtime, it was that or bed for the night at 4.30pm  :o Hope your day pans out OK  :)

Our day was poop! She only took a 10/15min nap this am so was in bed for nap 2 at 12.15pm She was asleep by 12.20 and the bloody neighbours woke her up at 1.20 her LO 4yrs old had a play date with what was clearly a very spirited child who wasn't reigned in at all.  The whole hour he was there he screamed excitedly at the top of his voice (you know the scream like a warrior going into battle!) and that was it she wasn't going back to sleep.  I tried to get her in bed by 5.20 but it was actually more like 5.40 and she finally fell asleep at 6.40 (very grumpy about it she was too) So we are firmly stuck in OT land and cant seem to get out.

Oh yes we also got stuck out in torrential down pour at the park, dressed in flimsy summer dresses and got completely drenched trying to get home.  They do say it never rains but it pours, well today it really did  ::)

Offline debo620

« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2007, 18:04:58 pm »
thanks newmum,
I layed  Noah down at 12 and he did rub his eyes and seem tired, but as expected he is now playing, so whatever, hopefully he'll go to sleep sometime soon, and I'll get him up by 2:15/2:30 either way.
and then bed 7
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline debo620

« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2007, 18:52:23 pm »
LOL Stacy, I'm not sure for Noah either... :-\

so I think I can feel a bump like at the right back side of his mouth, maybe a molar? so this may be the start of the 2yr molars. yippee!
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline meltown

• Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2007, 19:43:17 pm »
ok today so far he woke at 7:30 by 11:10 still no tired cues and so I decided it was time for him to go down.  so dh put him down for me.  he cried and cried and screamed and finally we gave him his paci and he was out in a few minutes.  I let him sleep just past the 45 min mark as I needed to take a shower.  so hopefullyt his afternoon he will go down and sleep longer.  I am throwing around the idea of feeding him before his nap and then just letting him sleep and then hope to get a cat nap out of him in the afternoon.  I have a hard time with this as I am worried about him getting overtred.  I may try it if tomarrow goes like today though.
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2007, 23:09:36 pm »
I sometimes wonder if we keep waking our children up from their naps that they learn not to extend their sleep....I have found with ds that when I continuously wake him up from pm naps in fear of bad bedtime he eventually does it on his own.  So, i try not to wake him before the 2 hr mark and it seems to be helping.  maybe I am just full of s---?!

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2007, 23:15:30 pm »
orowland

i think there could be some truth to that.

however, when i wake, i first listen for the previous transition.

so if i was to wake at 45mins, i waited for her to transition thru it...then woke.
i NEVER woke at 1.25hrs.

if i was to wake at 1.75hrs, i waited for her to first transition around 1hr 40mins.

i figured this way she would know how to make it thru the transition....instead of always waking up just before it or something.

if it's working, keep it up orowland!

sami
[img width= height=]http://b3.lilypie.com/BDoUm6.png?r=4562e4a[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b1.lilypie.com/23hXm7/.png[/img]

Offline NiknLily

« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2007, 12:50:33 pm »
Charlotte07
Sorry I don't think anyone answered your post.  It is possible that she is starting her transition.  Although I should not panic just yet you've no doubt got a long road in front of you.

It was much the same for us she just suddenly started taking the odd 1 nap day.  Which also coincided with her having reached the max A time she could get without extending the day.  So as I had just basically run out of day, following the advice here, I started to shorten her am nap.  At first I went to 45Min's for am nap and as long as she wanted for pm nap.  This lasted a month or so until we went down to 30min am nap.  Now we are down to a 20min am nap (when she will take it that is  ::) )

If you post your current routine we can see what the best way to go is.

Offline babyre33

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Adalyn & Andrea
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2007, 01:41:43 am »
We are a bit backwards here, and not sure why.

FOr a while I had shortened her first nap to 30 min, then ear infection, lots o fNW, so then she took two longish naps.  Ear infection is gone now, but still with the NW.  I wasn't sure if she was better yet, so waited to see if she was okay from her ears.  We went camping for 2 days, and she slept just fine at night.  These days she had an hr nap in the am and a 30 min pm nap.  It's just hte way things happend, and 12 hrs straight at night!!!  So I figured she's better from her ears, dr checked her today, she's fine....BUT stil doing NW now that we're home
!!????  WHAT IS THAT ABOUT???

We tried to simulate the conditions like they were when we stayed in the cabin (not as dark, fan on her, no bumper on the crib) but she already woke.

Before I thought it was OT from all the sleep she lost from teh ear infection, but the amount of sleep didn't change from the night before camping to the first day...

Any thoughts???
Her routine was like this before camping:
8ish wake
11-11:30 nap
2:30/3-4/4:15 nap
8 bed

This is way late for us.  When returning from a long vacation, this is how things fell, and we love waking at 8 instead of 6!!!

Now the bedtime and wake time is around 7, with the naps flipped.

Should I pull for one nap even though she's clearly tired at 10 or 11??

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2007, 14:12:23 pm »
I need help again :(  Joey is clearly tired but not taking a morning nap :(  I'm not sure WHAT to do.  I don't know why he's not sleeping :(

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2007, 18:02:59 pm »
Carmela's Mom...could you try putting him down a bit later?  Maybe he is tired, but not quite tired enough to fall asleep when you are trying.

Or, could you do a video or a walk in the stroller to at least give him some down time and maybe he'd fall asleep briefly.

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2007, 18:04:51 pm »

How is everyone doing here lately???

sami
[img width= height=]http://b3.lilypie.com/BDoUm6.png?r=4562e4a[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b1.lilypie.com/23hXm7/.png[/img]

Offline NiknLily

« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2007, 19:03:51 pm »
don't ask, We pulled a 12.5hr day today, yep you read it correct, no naps at all  :( but she managed to stay in really good spirits.  Lord knows what bought it on but I battled on & off from 9am to 12 to get her to sleep, nothing worked.  So I gave up and thought I would put her back down when she was really noticeably knackered, which only started to show at dinner time  ???

I'm not looking forward to tonight or tomorrow for that matter  ::)