Author Topic: Travelling and Getting Bedroom DARK!  (Read 1251 times)

Offline waffler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • Mummy get Nemo off me!
Travelling and Getting Bedroom DARK!
« on: July 30, 2007, 13:03:55 pm »
Okay, so because my LO is a perfect li'l Baby Whisperer Baby.... of course, she can only sleep in the dark, at home we use blackout curtains.

On a previous trip to the UK, we used tin foil on windows. Everyone thought I was mad. And I was lucky because it was at DH's parents, and they weren't too bothered. But this trip we're staying at someone else's and I'm hesitant to use foil because it really looks terrible and I don't want to upset the owners.

So - an idea is to bring with us (from Singapore) a couple of meters of blackout and use clips to secure it to the curtains in the room Mira will be sleeping in. This won't be perfect, as light is sure to get in. But there isn't really much more that can be done I don't think.

What have you done? Mira may surprise me and go to sleep without the room being dark but that's a risk I'd rather avoid!
Dad/Husband : Matt
Mum/Wife : (Ali)
Daugher : Mira (28th March 2006)
Daughter : Lara (31 July 2009)

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Travelling and Getting Bedroom DARK!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 13:08:06 pm »
Hi Ali

Mira's not much younger than my Sophie, and I too always worried about it being too light for her to sleep- but she always surprises me and sleeps great no matter how light it is, wherever we are. I definitely believe that if she is a good independent sleeper, she has a good daily routine and generally sleeps well, she has a familiar bath/ bed routine and knows when it's time for sleep then you won't have a problem.
I would definitely bring your blackout lining to help darken the room but other than that, don't worry too much!
]

Offline lawnseed

• Lorna, mum to Iona, angel/spirited chatterbox, Eden, spirited delight and Tobias - thinking he's another angel/spirited!!
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 13:49:07 pm »
Hi
know what you mean about tin foil looking bad - so do black bin bags which also make good black outs!!

another one i've used are towels, these don't make it dark, but they make it darker which may be enough for a LO her age - my dd2 never used to sleep without dark, but now she will have her nap in daylight!! i agree with pp - the good routine counts for so much!

Lorna

Offline waffler

• Showing Appreciation 10
  • Mummy get Nemo off me!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 01:44:03 am »
I'll certainly try to make the room dark! Of course I've never tried to get her to sleep in a semi dark room being such a "True BabyWhisperer" LOL but looks like she'll have to prove to her mummy that she can sleep with a little bit of light!

My FIL on a walk back to the house looked up at the window and thought to himself "What in God's name is that????" and laughed when he realised what I'd done. I do think they think I"m loony but bless them, they keep their thoughts to themselves. They saw how great Mira was with sleeping that now they talk about the "method" to everyone!
Dad/Husband : Matt
Mum/Wife : (Ali)
Daugher : Mira (28th March 2006)
Daughter : Lara (31 July 2009)

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • The owl says "whooo whooo".
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 23:55:14 pm »
Whenever we travel somewhere besides the grandparents house I carry a set of black sheets and clothes pins with us so I can darken our room wherever we are staying. Sometimes we are lucky enough to stay in a room that has black out shades, which work just fine. In our LO's bedroom, there is only one narrow window and I've hung some navy blue curtains behind the decorative curtains. It works like a dream!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80