Author Topic: Dummy or Hungry?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Pinguxxx

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dummy or Hungry?
« on: August 02, 2007, 21:06:50 pm »
Night before last my dd woke at 1 and 3, I put her dummy back in and she went back to sleep. She then woke at 5 and I fed her. Last night she woke at 3.30 and I put her dummy back in, at 4.45 I fed her.

Just wondering if she was maybe hungry these other times but by giving her the dummy back I've sent her back to sleep on an empty tummy! Would she go back to sleep? I'm just looking for reassurance really that she wouldn't go back to sleep if she was really hungry.

She is 10wks on 3hr EASY (for 9 days) - E- 7, 10, 1, 4, 5.30 & 6.30 and DF 10.30ish

I try and stick to the daytime feeds but by the cluster feeds we tend to go a bit haywire after a full day of 45min napping she is nodding off on the breast at 4. By the time she's finished her feed and I've kept her upright for 20 mins she is then OT, cranky and hard to settle for a nap or at bedtime.

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Re: Dummy or Hungry?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 21:41:47 pm »
Can you post your routine.?

Your lo may be waking up through out the night due to being overtired. 

45 minute naps usually mean they are in need of more A time. 

Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline Pinguxxx

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 22:15:34 pm »
Yesterday was :

E  6.50
A  6.40 - 8.00
S  8.00 - 8.45   back to sleep for another 15 then 25

E  10.10
A  10.05 - 11.25
S  11.25 - 12.10 then was in and out of sleep for a further 20mins

E  13.00
A  12.40 - 14.20 - but fell asleep at 13.10 - no waking her or it was blue murder! Let her nap a while then had meds and off to bed ...
S  14.20 - 16.00 (unusual)

E  16.00
A  16.00 - 17.00
S  17.00 - 17.45

E  18.50
A  17.45 - 19.45
S  19.45 then woke re-settled and asleep for 20.45

Fairly typical day with exception to the afternoon nap where she did wake but went back to sleep alone. Some naps I'm lucky to get her back off for 20mins.

I'm not sure I could extend her A time anymore. She seems v.tetchy now on approx 1hr 20. I have thought of knocking them back to perhaps 1hr - 1hr 10 for a few days and see what happens?

What do you think?

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 23:57:14 pm »
When she wakes is she happy, fussy, etc.?

Do you have a wind down time and a nap routine?

She definitely needs longer naps during the day to help her get through the night. 

You may want to try putting her down 10 minutes early.  That may do the trick.  I would stick to it for about 3-5 days as it takes about that length of time for their systems to adjust to the change.  Things might get wonkey for a few of those naps but it's normal when changing things up.

Let me know what you think.

Melissa

Grace April 2006

Offline Pinguxxx

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 10:08:42 am »
Thanks.

The sleep times are the actual times she has gone off/gone in crib. She usually goes off no problem. The wind down is in the A time. It doesn't take long to be honest (5mins max is normal). When I see she is getting tired we go upstairs, turn on fan, say 'goodnight' to Mr Sunshine as we close the curtains, swaddle then cuddle with the dummy if she needs it. It doesn't usually take her long to close her eyes after this. I think she is used to the routine and knows what is coming now / what it means. Yesterday and today she was getting fussy and crying during the cuddle, I think although it was brief she just wanted to be put down in the crib, when I've done this she's usually gone off on her own which I'm really pleased about. I just can't get her to sleep longer than 40mins!!!!!!

With these short naps I can see a EASYAEASY sort of routine developing but I'm persevering with trying to get her to go back off to sleep. She will close her eyes and seem to fall into it for a few minutes then she wakes hersself up, looks around as if to check where she is, fuss a bit, have t he dummy back and do it again .... and again ... and again. Sometimes she is successful but it's hit and miss.

Last night she had her df at 10.30, woke around 3.30 - gave her dummy and she went straight back to sleep. At 4.30 she woke again, experimented a bit and gave her the dummy, she took it and seemed to nod off. Then she let out a piercing cry! I flew out of bed!! Think she was telling me she was hungry! I fed her and she went back off. I think I will try the dummy each time, I'm sure she will let me know if she wants feeding. 

Last couple of nights have been better and we've now ordered a Tucker Sling to see if this helps her sleep as the reflux sometimes causes big problems at night.

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 12:14:21 pm »
I agree, she will let you know when she is hungry when she wakes at night.  She is still really young so 1-2 feeds a night is normal. 

So, are you planning on adjusting the day time routine a bit?  Do you want to try putting her down a little bit early to see if that helps with the naps?

Have a great Friday!  :)
Melissa

Grace April 2006