Author Topic: milk allergy questions  (Read 2107 times)

Offline smi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 04, 2007, 01:12:05 am »
Hello everyone,

I am glad I visited this site to help me find out what foods contained milk.  I had no idea margarine was going to gone from my diet as well.

I decided today to cut out milk to see if my 4 month old daughter is allergic.  She is still quite colicy.  She pukes all the time and has explosive diarrhea.  She still does not sleep well.  She wakes up pulling her legs up with abdominal cramps to help her pass gas.

What I would like to know is how long should it be before I notice and improvement in her.  It seems that milk and soy allergies go together.  Should I be eliminating both products or is okay to start with just the one.  I can deal with giving up dairy, but soy would kill me.   I am willing to do it if it gives me a happier baby and more sleep.

Thanks
Suzanne

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: milk allergy questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 08:27:33 am »
I would start with dairy first but make sure you are cutting out al the trace dairy aswell. It can take up to 6 weeks to see a major improvement but you would probably notice improvements before that. If your baby is still having some problems you could then try cutting out soy aswell.

Some parents go on the TED diet when breast feeding and is certainly something I wish I had heard about when breast feeding my son. This is something you could consider if cutting out dairy does not work.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 09:05:59 am »
i would do the same as pp.if no improvement then try  cutting out soy.i know aprox 50% of milk intollerant babies are soya in tollerant too.if you need anything give me a shout....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline smi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 15:06:21 pm »
Thanks for the info,

I hope to see improvements before six weeks.  I did not realise how high a percentage of kids with milk allergies have soy allergies as well.  I will try just dairy for the first few weeks, and then go off soy if I have to.

What is the TED diet?

Thanks
Suzanne

Offline jennyh

• my angels.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 16:45:12 pm »
total elimination diet
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline smi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 20:05:39 pm »
I figured TED stood for total elimination diet, but was not sure of exactly I had to eliminate.  Is it all dairy and soy, or do I do wheat as well ect...

I am eliminating all dairy and the trace amounts as well.  I figure it will be a good diet for me as well.

I have ulcerative colitis, and have just started back on my oral meds.  I was thinking of stopping them, but if this allergy acts like a colitis for my lo, then I figure my med could help her.  Any thoughts?  They have been cleared for breastfeeding.

I am still amazed at how much food has milk additives.  I bought salt and vinegar chips at work last night thinking it should be safe, and they added lactose.  I am sure glad I have the list of milk products from I believe it is Kelly on the MSPI site.

Thanks
Suzanne

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 06:59:13 am »
A good explanation of the Total Elimination Diet (TED) is on Dr. Sear’s website at http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041200.asp

The basic TED foods are: 

Turkey
Lamb
Rice
Sweet Potato
White Potato
Zucchini
Yellow Squash
Pears

Most mums use sea salt, pepper, and olive oil while other moms include additional spices, sugars, and other oils. 
Some moms use only “green and yellow squash” (as per the Dr. Sears information) while other moms include all forms of squash (winter squash, etc.).

Most moms take a multivitamin and additional calcium.  However, you must read the labels carefully to avoid dairy, soy, or other ingredients that cause problems for you/your child.

You will likely be hungry when first starting the TED.  Eat often!  Always try to have food already prepared and available to reheat.  The food cravings will lessen and the diet becomes easier as you get used to the routine and you (hopefully) see positive changes in your child. 

Since weight loss is a problem for many TED moms (hard as that might be to believe), look for ways to add calories to your diet – sauté your veggies in oil, deep-fat fry foods, add oil to foods (like on your veggies or potatoes), use oil liberally when cooking your meat, etc.

Hope this helps explain things.

Kelly

Offline smi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 16:06:24 pm »
Thanks that explains a lot.  I am not sure I can commit to the TED diet yet.  I have decided to  cut out soy as well since my lo seems out of sorts with my increase in soy.  I will give this a go and then go from there.
Suzanne

Offline jennyh

• my angels.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 16:53:34 pm »
good luck :)
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline cvan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 17:29:51 pm »
Have you asked your pediatrician to test your daughter for a milk allergy?  When dd was an infant we had the same, spit up, explosive bowel movements, etc.  Our doctor had us bring in a soiled diaper, she tested it and we knew for sure that it was a milk allergy. It was a simple in the office test, took all of 5 minutes. I cut out all dairy, even the trace dairy, in things like bread, and within a week dd showed significant improvement.  We nursed for 18 months that way and now she has no allergy to milk.

Good luck,
Christine

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 08:22:02 am »
It would definately be worth finding out if your paediatrician can carry out some allergy tests. They are not always accurate but it may give you a guideline.

Offline smi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 03:01:52 am »
I did not realise the test was so simple.  I have been referred off to the allergist.  I will ask my GP this week.  I hear there is a blood test to test for soy allergies as well.  I am sure I can do them in the mean time while I wait to see the allergist.

Today is the first day the my LO seem lots better.  She finally is taking 1 and half hour naps!!  Her bum has cleared up and she was happy all day long.  This was day four of no dairy or soy.  I am hoping this will continue, and I will see improvements in her eczema.

Did any of you find that red meat effected you LO's?  I just read on the sheets that red meat can cause the same reaction as milk.  I do not eat a lot of red meat, but I sure enjoy a good steak. :)

Does anyone know if you are able to use coconut milk in cooking?  I am trying to find out more information about natural flavour as well.  It seems almost everything has natural flavour.  How do I tell if it is really natural flavour, or a soy product, or just avoid anything that says natural flavour regardless.

Thanks for all the advice.  I never new allergies would be so complex.
Suzanne  :)