Author Topic: Thumbs up or down for Leap Pad?  (Read 5062 times)

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Thumbs up or down for Leap Pad?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 00:59:50 am »
DD got the fridge alphabet when she was 2 and it was a huge hit.  then someone gave us a leap pad just before we moved (DD was 25 months) and I thought it would be great for the long drive (2 seven hour days), but she was so frustrated by it.  She uses it some now, but totally wouldn't have spent money on it.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline NoSleepBaby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Monkey
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 20:32:52 pm »
I think Leappad was created for parents who wanted to plop their kids in front of a toy that teaches them rather than be the parent and teach their kids themselves.  Same goes with those Einstein videos.. parents need to be more involved with teaching their children rather than having a toy or tv show/video do it for them

Offline daniellechiasson

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My two greatest loves.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 00:53:53 am »
I'm actually offended by your comments, I do not have toys like the Leap Pad because I'm too lazy to teach my daughter, I have them to supplement her learning. At almost 2 years old she does not 'play' with her Little Touch on her own, I do it along with her. Same as I do books, colouring, painting and any other activity she engages in. I guess you would frown at knowing I allow her to watch TV and not just Einstein videos but silly cartoons like Wonder Pets or The Backyardigans. Wonder how my almost 2 year old can spell her name verbally with such lazy parents ::)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 01:45:15 am »
Why would you dig up an old thread just to insult people ???

I'm no great fan of them either, but a sweeping generalisation such as that gives no credit whatsoever to the many intelligent and attentive parents who have bought such products as an addition to the many toys/books they have for their babies.
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline NoSleepBaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Monkey
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 03:59:08 am »
it was still on the first page.  Tone may have come across as being mean, but trust me it isn't, I stated my opinion plain and simple

person asked for peoples opinion.. didn't know my opinions had to be the same as everyone elses.  Thought different view points where welcomed here.  I guess not

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 08:06:54 am »
Opinions - yes. I gave mine too, like I said I don't like them either.

Insults and snobbery - no, not acceptable, you will get called out on it
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:15:34 am by Charlie's Mummy »
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline dkitto

• Showing Appreciation 206
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 08:15:42 am »
Well we love them in our house ( Well Owen does Toby would pick a football any day ::)).
Owen loved his my first leap pad, but then he just loves learning, he still reads " real" book all the time too. So for Christmas I am getting him the writing one!!!!!!

Owen likes time on his own but still enjoys learning( think he is a bit over the top sometimes but that another post lol) so I can't see what is wrong with it.

Donna x x x

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 08:30:10 am »
I think teaching and learning comes in many shapes and forms and I must say I get a buzz of pride when I am making L a healthy meal (another role of a busy parent!) while she watches BE and is dancing, clapping, pointing and making animal sounds when she sees animals on the screen. These things were all learnt from time spent with me and Dh reading and talking, walking and playing etc.

It's funny this was bought to the top again because after deciding not to get a Little Leap I suddenly decided L would love one as she is not very interested in toys at the momenmt just books and anything with buttons (dvd player, laptop  ::)) I am looking forward to using this with her as another learning tool for my little sponge  :)
Katt

Offline NoSleepBaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Monkey
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 15:32:54 pm »
whatever.. everyone's opinions are based on experiences they have in life- you have no idea what kind of experience I have had with LP, or should I say, with the people around me who own leap pads.  Sure, I may have over step some boundaries in making it a broad generalization, but the experience I have had with people I know who own LPs and BE videos DO NOT even sit with their children when using/watching them.   Around here, the parents want everyone else to teach their children and plop them in front of the boob tube in their exersaucer or whatever they have handy so that they don't have to actually spend time with their own children

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 15:46:41 pm »
Ladies, I am going to lock this thread at this point.

Please remember that this is a place for no judgments and to support each other. I'd like you to see the Community Guidelines.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=105917.0
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 19:20:30 pm by Colin Mac's Mom »
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o