Author Topic: Sooooo much gas!  (Read 1653 times)

Offline mrssibbe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • MacKenna 5 months old
« on: August 09, 2007, 15:17:14 pm »
Just wondering if anyone out there has any solutions for a 6 month old baby with gas problems all day and all night long.  She is currently on Good Start (started out BF, then to Similac, then to Isomil (soy) and now to Goodstart) and eating some solids.  She goes four hours between feedings and drinks about 5-6 oz at a time.  However, she has so much gas after a bottle that she is burping and spitting up right until the next feeding.  She doesn't nap very well because she wakes up after 45 min having to burp.  She has now starting waking up every four hours at night as well.  When she wakes at night she grunts more than she cries and usually has to burp or fart.   By the time she gets the gas out, she realizes her tummy is empty and wants to eat.  Most of the time I try to get her back to sleep without eating, but usually end up feeding her once through the night.

She was better on the Isomil, but her pediatrician said she shouldn't be on it because there was no evidence that she was lactose intolerant or had an allergy to milk.  We ended up switching to Good Start because she started to refuse the Isomil and seemed to take fine to the Good Start.  However, the gas problems have gotten worse.

Any suggestions?

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: Sooooo much gas!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 17:43:42 pm »
Have you tried infacol or something similar after feeds? It joins all the gas bubbles together so they can be released quickly and easy instead of travelling all the way down. Are you sure she isn't intolerant to the milk proteins as my DD is MSPI (milk, soya protein intolerant) and she had all these symptoms until I cut all dairy from my diet (I'm breastfeeding). The only way you can tell if there is a cows milk intolerance is to cut it from the diet and the proteins can take more than a month to leave the system. There is loads of info on the allergies forum. Good luck in eliminating the problem  :)

PS i should also add that many babies with a cows milk intolerance also have a soya intolerance but as I said there is much more info on the allergies thread and some ladies that really know their stuff  ;)
Katt

Offline mrssibbe

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • MacKenna 5 months old
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 17:59:17 pm »
Thanks. I'll go take a look at the allergies thread to see if something helps.

I have tried Ovol and Little Tummies (both are simethicone, same as infacol) and they seem to help sometimes, but not during the night.  I have tried to switch her formula to Alimentum which is for babies with a cows milk intolerance, but she won't take it.  I tasted it and it doesn't taste very good, so I imagine that's the problem.  I've heard that Nutrimagen works too, but also heard that it tastes worse than Alimentum.

Nothing has been very easy for us from the start, so it's starting to get frustrating, but we'll keep trying.  Thanks for your advice.

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:06:14 am »
I feel so bad for you because we went through the same thing and my DD wouldn't touch nutramigen either! Luckily In was BF so could cut the cows milk and soy from my own diet. People who haven't been through it don't understand how hard it is when you can see your baby in pain and discomfort and it causes chronic overtiredness. I hop you can get some help on the allergies forum (((hugs)))
Katt

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 15:46:13 pm »
Hi there,

Don't want to alarm you but it could be reflux..the good part is that babies normally outgrow it by about 6-7months so if it is your baby will be growing out of it soon.

May baby ha the same problem loads of gas and I felt it was  anon stop world of feeding burping crying short sleep and painful waking and burps...but the doctor prescribed us a medicine for reflux and within 2 days of the medi LO was a happy baby.

please do check with the doctor.

Mukta
Ps: DS outgrew refluc by about 7 months, I started him on medis at about 5
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Tamara

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 19:59:43 pm »
Sorry to hear of your LOs problems - sounds like no fun at all

I am going to move your post over to the allergies forum in the hope that someone on there may have some helpful suggestions for you to help you through this.

Offline legend_018

• Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 20:28:35 pm »
When I say I could of written your post to a T - I mean it. MY LO is EXACTLY the same way. We started out with Good start which was my first LO's favorite, but that didn't work. We than went to Alimentum but snuck in a few more to try out (Enfamil Lipil AR and SOY formula). I don't think I really gave the Soy formula a true try. Oh and Enfamil Gentle Ease but they only had the powder form and she can't tolerate the powder at ALL.

We have tried zantak - didn't help. she is now on prevacid and just yesterday has to start taking it 2ce a day. She also now has to have beachnut rice cereal in her bottles. Everything we try never seems to work so we'll see with the higer dosage and the rice in the cereal. We also have our first GI appointment this coming Monday.

It's so tiring. I can't believe you've been dealing with this for 6 months? I'm not too familair with Isomil though.

Doctors say she she has reflux. I mean EVERYTHING you said including the grunting/groaning at night is what happens to my LO. Even the wanting to eat afterwards part. I try to use a pacifier in those cases - if she lets me.

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give you credit for dealing with this for 6 months. MY LO is sometimes very fussy and other times she sort of acts like a happy spitter/burper "lol". Sleep especially naps are definetely affected by it. I feel like I'm constantly burping her and trying to get her to sleep.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline legend_018

• Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 20:32:44 pm »
we also do mylicon drops.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 21:05:10 pm »
Ladies, our doctor prescribed Ranitadine, we were giving 1 ml 2 times a day. I beleive not all medicines work with all the kids.
Also try raising the bed to a slight inlcine so that the baby sleeps at a very slight angle, might help.
I totally understand what you all are going through but ahve faith it doe sget better, my LO now at 8 months burps on his own, touchwood and no more gassy sounds from the other end.

9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 03:05:53 am »
legen_018:  I know we have talked before because of similiar problems with our lo, except for mine does not spit up.. Well.. actually he has started to, but not a lot.  Still has major major gas and grunts and groans all night also.

Your doctor really does think it is reflux?  What makes him think that?  Is it the spitting up or the gas?  Just curciuos.

Thanks!
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline rissgifford

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:11:13 am »
I understand where you are coming from. If your lo is not spitting up, it probably is just gas. Mylicon is the way to go! It is safe, and it works FAST!!!! I know it is scary to give a baby medicine, but when all else fails, try that. Hope it works.