Author Topic: eczema and cows mlik  (Read 1397 times)

Offline ambersmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
eczema and cows mlik
« on: August 09, 2007, 16:49:26 pm »
my 6 month old has eczema, it's not too bad but she had a flare up after I introduced yogurt into her diet, but it has been alot warmer here recently so it could be that. Does any one have experience of cows milk being a problem with babies who have eczema? She is on regular formula milk.

TIA Juliet

Offline SAHNE

• Proud momma to Carter, Turner, and one angel baby!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two little beasties who have stolen my heart!
Re: eczema and cows mlik
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 18:08:39 pm »
Did you stop the yogurt?  If so, did the eczema go away?  If not, maybe try stopping and see if she clears up.  Then try again in a few weeks and see if it is connected.

HTH
Steph
-Steph

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 18:25:17 pm »
Hi There,

My dd, Sophie has eczema that is triggered by a dairy allergy. She first showed signs of it when she was about 8 weeks old, by 12 weeks it had got so bad that dh and I were really worried, but after doing some internet reading I decided to cut out dairy (Sophie was exclusively breastfed) and low and behold her eczema cleared up. It took quite a while for it to go completely but we saw a dramatic improvement in 2 weeks. We have never really looked back. She is now 2 and is able to tolerate small amounts of dairy in her diet.

I would have thought though that if your dd fed with a dairy based formula and has never shown any signs of dairy allergy before then it is unlikely that she has a dairy allergy.

But as pervious poster said, it would be best to keep her off yoghurts for a couple of weeks then slowly reintroduce, keeping an eye out for any worsening in her eczema.

HTH

Claire
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 20:45:53 pm »
my niece had to go onto hypoallenergenic formula because of formula and is now much better.her paed said to try 1 then 2 etc tea  spoon fulls of milk after 18 months.hth....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 09:28:34 am »
My son is allegic to dairy. He was on regular formula from 6 months for a few months as we did not realise that he was reacting to the formula as I had always had dairy in my diet whilst breast feeding. We had also been told when I asked my health visitor and GP if it was possible that dairy was contributing to my sos eczema not to be silly that food allergies are not related to eczema. Well they were wrong and James is now on neocate as he is unable to have soy aswell.

If your daughter has had eczema whilst on the regular formula it is possible that she is allergic to dairy. It is worthtalking to her paediatrician about and in the meantime I would stop the yogurt and see if that helps. If you then reintroduce it after you have got your daughter back to baseline you will be able to see if she reacts again or not. It is also possible that it was the flavour of yogurt. It could have been the strawberries in the yogurt for example.

Hope that helps

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ambersmum

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 06:03:28 am »
THanks everyone, I have stopped the yoghurt striaght away but the eczema is still there, but has now got infected despite me creaming her 6 times a day. So we have a steroid and antibiotic cream as well.

Good point about teh strawberry flavoured yoghurt kelly.

I'll keep her off dairy for a month and see, but the formula is dairy based anyway!?!

Offline ratfly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 17:19:58 pm »
If she is on regular formula and is allergic to dairy, I would expect you would see some eczema anyway?
My ds has milk free formula, and that has made an improvement to his eczema, but we still can't have dairy, and it sometimes flares anyway...