Author Topic: 4-month old FREAKING OUT with shush-pat: help!  (Read 3735 times)

andibig

Re: 4-month old FREAKING OUT with shush-pat: help!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 18:57:30 pm »
it sounds like he may fighting to go to sleep.sometimes and its with the best intentions we settle our LOs too long.i'd try and put him down a little more awake but still fairly sleepy.
a mantra cry (which your LO isn't doing) is usually a montone cry with no variation in pitch and no tears.
i'll have a look at your routine in a min (just having my dinner!!)

andibig

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 19:20:31 pm »
ok just had a look at your routine.it looks good although awake time may need a little tweaking (and only a little bit :-*).
i notice his first nap is after he has only been awake for 1 hr.he could manage a little longer (correct me if i'm wrong) so you could try increasing his awke time gradually and that may give you an even longer nap.
his 2nd nap is not for another 2.5 hrs which is a long awake time at his age (i'd aim for 2 hrs max awake time).
if his 3rd nap is a good one he should only need   a catnap or bring bedtime earlier..ideally at this age you are aiming for 2-2-2.5hr naps and a catnap.
also i'd probably put him down staright after his feed at 7pm so he is not having a really long day.
hope that makes some sense.of course if he is napping better you may not want to change anything!!
Andrea

Offline holdenlouis

• ~Lisa
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 00:18:05 am »
Was reading your posts and remembered that Holden used to not like shh pat but he liked his bottom patted or rubbed. He had a mantra cry that sounded like wa-waa -waa without raising in pitch. He still does this thing where it sounds like he hums to himself. hth
Lisa

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com

Offline NewMomVA

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 17:23:44 pm »
Sorry I haven't had time to respond lately.  It sounds like things are getting better.  We've had an 'off' week.  Sometimes DD shows tired signs after one hour.  If we don't catch it then she is overtired and hysteria sets in.  Usually the hysteria occurs in the evening when both my husband and I are home and she's up too long.  But she's falling asleep more quickly and stays asleep until 6 or 7am.  I found that a short late afternoon nap helps.  She does wimper and fuss a bit when she's tired at naptime.  Your description of crying above sounds like my DD's hysteria :) - I think it is severe overtiredness.  We give her more milk for the night, swaddle her and then she usually calms down.