Author Topic: avoid ALL grains (millet, rice, quinoa) for a year?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline lovedtodeath

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
avoid ALL grains (millet, rice, quinoa) for a year?
« on: August 12, 2007, 02:06:24 am »
At the health food store I was asking for amaranth cereal to start my baby on when he gets 8 mo old. The owner said that some nurses were talking about research in which ALL grains are avoided for a year because they are harsh and damage a baby's intestines leading to leaky gut and multiple food allergies. (I am assuming seeds count in this as well, as amaranth and quinoa are not grains)

since my kids already have some food allergies I am alarmed by this. Any of you hear of this or  research like it?

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: avoid ALL grains (millet, rice, quinoa) for a year?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:52:30 am »
sorry i havent.my lo has multiple allergies and has no gluten.the only thing she has like this is millet porridge.she is also fine with quinoa.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline lovedtodeath

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:56:12 am »
Thought I'd update you. I ordered amaranth flour, tapioca flour, and millet flour to start with. and then I am adding brown rice, teff, and sorghum(milo). I decided the guy at the health food store was nuts, and my doc said to start Jake on cereal, and to not give him anything else till he is six months old. The exotic flours made from tropical tubers that I was thinking about getting are $20 a pound! What I ordered ranged from $1.99-$6 for 1.5 lbs each. Doc did say to wait a long while b4 trying fruit. So we are trying cereals for six weeks until he is six months old, then we will try sweet potatos and peas to start. Thanks for replying!!

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:58:09 am »
 :) :)
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:50:45 am »
If you have a history of food allergies then it is best not to start solids until 6 months. Although I know it can be difficult with some babies as they seem to need more. Please take it very slowly and only introduce one at a time.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline lovedtodeath

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 13:35:26 pm »
We started with sweet potatoes and he was up all night for three days. So we are holding off for at least 6 months to start the cereals. Even though pediatrician ok'd it, I know the sleeplessness was probably no coincidence! ;)