Author Topic: how do you use the bathroom in a store w/ a baby.....  (Read 7371 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
how do you use the bathroom in a store w/ a baby.....
« on: August 14, 2007, 20:09:20 pm »
you know if you are at target or the grocery store and no stroller? ok, i know i should've gone beforehand but its so hot here and i have to drink tons of water! we were running errands!

i had to hold my LO in my lap while peeing - neither of us were very happy about it!

;) ;D ;) ;D
heather

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: how do you use the bathroom in a store w/ a baby.....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 21:24:45 pm »
Do you know I think I would do just the same! Now Woo can walk its a lot easier.. he'd have to come in the cubicle with me lol..

H xx

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 22:00:49 pm »
done it myself :-[,the only way.i didn't know what else to do either :-\
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 18:22:46 pm »
I've done it.  What about this though.  I'm in Morrisons and I have a double buggy and 1 child walking and Alex (toilet training) needs a wee, so the only option is to take her to the Disabled one which we can all fit into together, buggy aswell, I wouldn't dream of leaving any otside and Alex is too young to go in alone.  We did the business and we all trapsed out of the toilet, only to be confronted by an elderly man who told me off for using the disabled loos when I was clearly able. 
I explained that there was no other option and went on my way, did my shopping and left.  As I'm loading up the car, the cheeky old sod was loading his car too.   Guess where he was parked???  In the baby and toddler car parking spaces.  As he clearly had no toddlers I had no option but to remind him where he should park his car.  ;)

binxyboo

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 21:03:39 pm »
LOL Mari  ;D

When Riley was younger, he would sit on my lap if the occasion arose, now he can walk so he just comes in with me, but I don't like it as he is always opening the door, so it's kind of half-squat, trying to keep him out of mischief at the same time!

Offline nona

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 21:05:52 pm »
ok guess this is one of those things that everybody does but nobody talks about! next time, i'll have my LO wear shoes so maybe he'll stand against the stall then i can just scrub his hands after. of course, he may decide to crawl which would be completely disgusting!
heather

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 21:27:38 pm »
now he can walk so he just comes in with me, but I don't like it as he is always opening the door, so it's kind of half-squat, trying to keep him out of mischief at the same time!

Yep - everytime ::)

Trying to do a wee while stopping a 2 year old escaping/throwing all the toilet roll on the floor/crawling underneath the door/finding stuff on the floor and playing with it :-X, is an aquired skill :D
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

binxyboo

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 23:53:31 pm »
Lol!

Thanks for starting this thread. I feel more "normal" now about our bathroom exploits!

*holly*

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:36:54 am »
Caroline, Imagine it with a preschooler and baby in tow as well!!

Heather, I had to giggle!  I'm an expert at that!  I can also change a babies diaper on my lap at the same time!   ;)

zed

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:52:01 am »
Mari, that is totally hilarious! 

I can't stand old people who can't mind their own business and then think they own the entire world.  That really gets my goat.

My solution to the gotta go but where do I put my kids.  I also use the handy cap stall and in most places around here, that is where the change table is.  So, I strap my 1 year old to the table so he can't move and inch.  Then I tell my 3 year old to stand in front of the table and tell the baby no if he tries to break free.  If I am really quick on the Lou it all goes well.

I was at the Dr.s office last week with both kids and couldn't use my usual tacktics so I sat the 3 year old behind the door, (it has to be the cleanest place, I hope) and then placed the baby between his legs and then told my 3 year old to hang on firmly and don't let go.  then I added but don't hurt your brother.  That worked OK too but I had to be very quick.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 14:15:00 pm »
Mari, what did the geezer say about his parking spot? 
Mum 2 bb, Love your solution!!!!!!  Don't hurt him?  LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

zed

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 19:43:17 pm »
Yeah, the don't hurt him part didn't go quite as planned.  baby squirmed free then started to fling the garbage can around.  3 year old was freaking out.  I had to convince him that we would all wash our hands and that it was going to be ok (all while peeing into a cup for a prego test)

I know you're going to ask.  Yup positive.  Due March 08

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 19:50:50 pm »
Mum2boo bear - wow, congratulations, how exciting!

I've had to use the loo while my LO was in the Baby Bjorn - it was pretty tricky getting my jeans undone underneath the straps  :o

Anyone got any suggestions how to get me and my LO changed in the swimming pool? Our local pool is an old Victorian one with individual cubicles around the edge and you can't take a buggy beyond reception. There is no changing table and nowhere to sit - just a cubicle.  I've only been once - we loved the pool  but the changing bit was such an almighty challenge (trying to get my wet cossie off while holiding a wriggling baby, then trying to put Katie's nappy on with one hand while holding her in the other arm and a bent knee...) that I have not yet summonned up the courage to go again  :-\

Sounds like you lot are very resourceful - any bright ideas?!!!

B

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline nona

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 20:14:54 pm »
we had a similar problem w/ swimming lessons but i got a very small, cheap umbrella stroller to put cade in while i change. it is very tiny and easy to carry.  ??? otherwise, i had to let him crawl on the floor while i changed....

since then i don't even bother changing myself. i just wear a suit and a swimsuit coverup. i put cade in his swimsuit before i go (praying for no poopy diapers) and then change him into his diaper after swimming. we went swimming the other day at the local pool and i just changed his diaper on the lounge chair. can you lay her on the ground w/ a changing mat and change her there? it doesn't bother me to change cade anywhere i have to!

HTH
heather

zed

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 00:21:10 am »
Wow, it sounds like going to the pool is quite the challenge.  Were you singing the Mission Impossible theme?  I would have been, probably even out loud with everyone laughing at me.

I had the similar experience at the pool the first few times I went too.  This is what I did.  I got the bigest towel I could find and then swaddled my LO in it so he couldn't move an inch.  I mean I did it really good, I am surprised he was able to breath.  To keep him from crying I then played the most ridiculous game of peek a boo ever.  He seemed to think the whole thing was quite funny.

I had a friend who did the same thing with the towel but she left her LO hands sticking out the top and then would give her LO a bottle.  That worked great for her b/c after swimming her LO was always starving.  I think she would stand on the loose end of the swaddle instead of tucking it under so that her LO couldn't roll over.

I hope you have many more fun trips to the pool.  Just wait until you have two LOs to go with.  Then it get really interesting.  Especially when there is hardly enough room to change for just one person in the stall.