Author Topic: Introducing Goats Milk  (Read 2060 times)

Offline misswibbs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 14, 2007, 20:20:59 pm »
My DS is just about to turn 12 months and I'm giving up breast feeding :'( He has, as far as I can tell, a contact allergy to cows' milk and comes out in a red rash with white spots where it touches his skin.  ???He's fine with cheese (prob cos I can get it into his mouth without it touching his skin) but I've been giving him goats milk yogurt and making his porridge with goats milk and he's loving it. He doesn't have any other obvious reaction from cow's milk but I feel if it's giving him a rash round his mouth something ain't right. I therefore feel it'd be wise to give him goat's milk after he passes his 1st birthday. Is it ok to give him whole goat's milk as a drink? Is it difficient in anything I should suppement? How do I introduce it? I currently breast feed him when he wakes, once in the afternoon and at bedtime. Can anyone give me some advice please? Thanks very much. :)

I took my DS to the doctors when I first noticed the rash from cow's milk and he didn't seem worried (or too interested for that matter :-\) so I hope you lot can help.

Offline lovedtodeath

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:06:29 am »
I was told that goat's milk more closely resembles human milk in composition. I think you need to worry about Vit D...and I vaguely recall something else, but I am not sure.

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Introducing Goats Milk
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 18:31:47 pm »
Abby has been on goat's milk for about 4 months now.  She has a milk soy protein intolerance and was on Neocate formula so we knew that cow's milk was out! :)  We can get the goat's milk in a carton or powdered.  We use Meyenberg brand.  We usually use the powdered b/c it is cheaper.  The powdered is mixed with water and is great when traveling and it is fortified with Folic Acid.  The reg. carton kind is not.  Her pedi said to make sure we give her a vitamin with Folic Acid in it.  By the way both also have Vit D in them.  We found a vit with Folic Acid at the local health food store.  I would just check the label but to be safe just fine a vit what has Folic Acid and vit D in it.

Will he take a bottle?  Since he has been having the yogurt and milk in his food you probably don't have to worry about him having a reaction.  If she does take a bottle you might just trying mixing it half and half with breastmilk and see how he takes it.  I would just do this for a few days and then you will def know if he has a reaction.  Then if he is okay I would just keep adding more goat's milk. 

BTW, Abby's pedi GI said that cow's milk has more milk proteins in it then cheese or yogurt so maybe that is why he had a reaction to the milk and not the cheese.

HTH,

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline misswibbs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:07:46 am »
Hi there
thanks so much for your really useful advice. It's good to know I'm doing the right thing. Hadn't thought of mixing it with my milk. He doesn't really like the taste of it so that's a great way to be more gentle about switching to that. I've bought a fortified powdered milk which says it's for 1 to 3 year olds so I'm going to try that.
Thanks again you two.
Libby ;)

Offline Alibobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 91
Re: Introducing Goats Milk
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 11:24:48 am »

BTW, Abby's pedi GI said that cow's milk has more milk proteins in it then cheese or yogurt so maybe that is why he had a reaction to the milk and not the cheese.

HTH,

Andrea

That's really interesting. dd used to get a horrible blistery rash when she drank cow's milk, but we've carried on with cheese and sometimes yoghurt (depends where we shop and if they have goats milk yoghurt  ::) ). I just assumed that, because we were limiting the amount she had she was ok, but with drinking cows milk on top it had 'overdosed' her IYKWIM?

Thanks for that!
Alison, mum to