Author Topic: Early wakings for 1 year old (non-stop since he was 10 months)  (Read 872 times)

Offline rebemuri

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi, everyone! I am hoping I can get some ideas as to what to do to stop the early wakings for DS. He wakes up every day at 5:15 or 5:30am. I've tried putting him to bed early (6:30ish) I've also tried to put him to bed late (8:30ish)... and I've tried every hour in between. I've also shortened his naps when I put him to bed early and once even cut out his afternoon nap, I've extended his naps when I put him to bed late. No luck! Here's a typical EASY routine for him:
Early wake up: 5:30
Bottle: 6:30
Lunch: 9:45 (very early, but DS has reflux so cramming lunch with all the afternoon meals was making him sick.)
Morning nap: 10:00-12:15
Bottle: 12:30
Snack: 2:30
Afternoon nap: 3:30-4:00 (45 min max)
Dinner: 4:30
Bottle: 7:00
BT: 7:30
He will sleep relatively well throughout the night for the most part, with one or two wake-ups, quickly settling back to sleep usually on his own, or with very little intervention. It might be important to say that he is somewhat low on the weight curve. It doesn't seem to me that he wakes up due to hunger since he doesn't cry or anything, but it's a possibility.
Any ideas?? His schedule used to be 7am wake-up, 8pm bedtime.
THANKS!!
Rebeca
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 13:19:55 pm by rebemuri »
Rebeca

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: Early wakings for 1 year old (non-stop since he was 10 months)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:15:36 am »
I do think it is a routine thing probably. That first nice long nap is quite early in the day for his age, could you shift that first nap later slowly over time, moving it by 15 mins or 30 mins later every three to five days to allow him some adjustment. And just keep an eye on things until WU shifts slightly later. It seems to me he's probably on the move to one nap. Have you read this:

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

This link gives a good description of why and how you might move towards one nap. If you think this might help come back and we can put a plan in place together if you'd like :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline rebemuri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 13:14:28 pm »
Thanks Buttonbobs! That is very helpful. I just realized I did not include the afternoon nap. That happens usually somewhere around 4pm. I've modified my original post to include that.
What would you say is a good time for DS to do his morning nap? Is it 11ish? Later than that?
Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 13:18:22 pm by rebemuri »
Rebeca

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 13:26:28 pm »
I think it's hard to say how late it needs to go, it depends on the LO really. The best way to find out is to move gradually, allowing a few days for adjustment each time and then see when he starts waking later. You might need to cap one of the naps as the link says, I'm happy for you to keep posting here if you like each day so we can look at any progress as you go :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline rebemuri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:28:10 am »
Hello again! It's been mixed results for me :(  I did push the nap a bit later, and it was going a little bit better, but we're back to square 1 now. Here's last night's easy for us:
5:15 wake up
6am bottle
9am lunch (very early, but due to reflux this works better for LO)
10:30-12:30 nap
12:45 bottle
2:45 snack
3:45-4:30 nap
4:45 dinner
7:15 bottle
7:45 BT
At times it seems like we are making progress with 6am wake-ups and 11am nap times. But then comes one day that he does wake up early (5:15am or so) for some reason, and I feel like I can't possibly make him wait until 11am for his first nap or else he would probably not nap well at all due to OT. So on those days, he continues to have a 10am nap which I am not sure if it contributes to the problem. Are his days too long?
I have tried for an early BT, but the afternoon nap gets in the way.
Help please!
Rebeca

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 21:36:49 pm »
The day is quite long  but this is what happens just as LOs transition the naps, don't worry too much at this stage. I do think he could benefit from you sticking with the later nap no matter what. Pushing through a bit of OT is sometimes the only way to break through the UT/OT barrier.

If you wanted to try an earlier BT you could, and see where it gets you.
~ Naomi ~