Author Topic: 2 yr developmental leap/growth spurt??  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:07:11 am »
Morning

Can anyone tell me what to expect at the 2 yr mark? Lo is 2 wks off and we're grumpy/super hungry in the day then waking earlier (not crazy early but 6am) he's nap pinging less 90-115 mins (used to wake him at 2 hrs) I'm guessing this is ok nap length as I out him to bed early last night to try and get beyond 6am wake up (EBT has helped early WU before) and he woke at 5:39 reciting stick man! Lol!
He's settling fine at BT, not happy about going down for his nap! Obvs pushing boundaries all over too!
So I guess I'm checking that I'm ok to keep on with 1pm nap (waking 2:30ish) and 7pm BT... :) thanks x

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 2 yr developmental leap/growth spurt??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 20:13:09 pm »
If this is developmental then you ca just stick with what you're doing. Having said that, some LOs need a little later nap (perhaps 1.15) during the leap, it might be worth keeping this in mind if you get stuck with the current EAS.
~ Naomi ~

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 23:46:39 pm »
We had some crazy sleep shenanigans from around 23m. They manifested themselves in a language explosion which explained a lot. Once this was over and we got over the OT and back on track, I introduced the Gro-clock. Magic. Have never looked back. Got to love Mr Sunshine!!

I agree with Naomi's suggestion of a later nap helping some LOs. I think it depends of the your LOs sleep needs. I ended up with a nap 15m-30m earlier than it was when it all kicked off just to try and manage the OT. R borders on HSN and is super susceptible to OT, so may not be a fair measure for your LO. Just a thought

HTH

Hena x

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:12 am »
Thanks both! Yes he is susceptible to OT! Another 5:30 wu today :( but he pooped last night about 7:45 so didn't settle till 8:20! So expected the WU! His bro has a gro clock but he ignores it and gets up 6:45 regardless now (he's 5) so I will move it! He's very clingy too ATM and like you HenaV I think out speech is developing daily!
Ok so stick as much as poss, would you bring BT earlier with a 5:30 wake up? Thanks xx

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 13:50:04 pm »
I tend to stick with a 13h day max, so I'd bring it forward to 6.30 if it were me. But again, I always work on the basis on managing the OT else I can pretty much guarantee a 10h night  :-\

HTH x

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 13:54:56 pm »
I tend to stick with a 13h day max

I do this too, even though E deals well with OT. Anymore than 13 hours and she starts to struggle.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 14:52:23 pm »
Brill thank you xxxx

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 08:03:09 am »
Just an update! He slept 1-3 then I put him down at 6:30... Putting on gro clock-explaining it to him etc! He chatted/sang away till just before 7. I realised I'd not changed time since his brother had gro clock (7being a tad optimistic ATM) well I woke him at 7:10!! And his brother slept till 7 too without the clock! Weirdly brilliant!
Just hoping we continue!! :) :) xx

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:25:46 am »
 ;D Excellent work mama!

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 20:45:47 pm »
Update!mso second night slept 7-6:40, today he napped at 1 but woke at 2:30, and although down at 7 has cried every 20/30mins??? Any thoughts, was fine when I left him at 7 saying 'bye mummy' etc! Would point to ot from past but he was up at 6:40 and had 1.5hr nap so he shouldn't be.... He will be now of course! Lol just given him a quick cuddle for reassurance and he was fine me leaving him again.... General 2yr crazy business or what? I'm now gonna get early night as I guess I'll see him at 5:30!! :/

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 22:41:40 pm »
Bless you, that's so frustrating. I don't think OT either based in that day - teeth maybe? I'd not then I'd have to say 2y developmental craziness xxx hope tonight's ok for you and that tomorrow is a better day xx

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 06:52:17 am »
I think I went up when I normally wouldn't, he hadn't pooped before bed and I wondered at 7:30 if that was it... So went in which I never do! Silly mummy! Anyway was (as expected up at 5:30!) at least I'm now really understanding how he's going to behave and what he needs! 6:30 BT and prob 12:45 nap??
Maybe teeth although he's not obviously teething-could be! Xx

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 19:33:54 pm »
Ok, he was knackered so put him diwn at 12:30 and let him sleep till 3..., thinking it was too long as he's chattered for an hour from 6:30-7:30 tonight.... Doh!
Oh another thing (sorry) when we get back to 7am wake ups (we WILL get there) should I do a shorter nap? Xx

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 22:30:11 pm »
Hey!

Doh?? Not so much. I sometimes you need to just go with it and if 2.5h to catch up felt right, it more than likely was. The fact that he didn't go to sleep until 7.30 might actually help you to get back on track.

If you get the sense that he needs less DTS, then I would consider capping at 1.45m. You could try that and put to bed 15/20m earlier if you think he's knackared. R at 2 was sleeping 2h in the day BUT she borders on hsn so may not be a fair comparator for you?
H x

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 15:14:08 pm »
So he went to sleep at 8, up at 6! Napped 1-2:30 woke up screaming-think we have a teeth thing going on too! Great! Lol, slight early BT I reckon, poor little monkey is sobbing on my knee!

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 18:22:15 pm »
Sound like a plan hon. It's not a bad nap though so I wouldn't over compensate yk? X

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 18:55:31 pm »
6:50 so not to early gone quiet quickly! Phew! Calpol done! Thanks for your eyes on his routine! So helpful :)

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 14:14:31 pm »
You're welcome. Hope all is going well x

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 18:41:11 pm »
We had a 5:30 start this am :( he goes to bed v happily, but then has a right old chat to the world-for various amounts of time! So he then gets OT.... Had 1-3 nap today and 6:30 BT (was 5:30 start-so 13hr day) he's not happy ATM-usually OT (I think) bit confused tbh! The other thing is he was waking early v wet and dirty-so cut his milk tonight and got better nappies (he sleeps on his tum so often wet tum) might help..?

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 19:00:42 pm »
Ok, so he shouted for nearly 25 mins! But just moaning shouting not crying as such! I've always thought of him as hsn, as he's had long naps, prone to OT but of late if he's up later that 5:30 he wakes after 1.30/1.45. Started crying again :( is he ut after 2hr nap? I'm confused!!

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 19:06:29 pm »
Sounds like he might be hon. I'd try cutting the nap to 1h45m and see how that pans out x

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 19:08:44 pm »
Yeah my thought too, would you stick to 13hr day and adjust nap? Thank you xx

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 19:11:05 pm »
I'd keep the nap where it is and stick with a 13h day if that makes sense?

H x

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 19:16:11 pm »
Great! He's still moaning/shouting on and off.... Blooming sleep regression/developmental hooha! X

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:29 am »
So he finally went quiet at 8... Woke at 5:20 :( I went in and said 'it's night time back to sleep' he then went quiet (back to sleep??) till 6:30.... Feel clueless.....

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 09:43:38 am »
I know hon, and me and lots of other mamas did too. I think all I can say is stick with is the best you can. My general rule is to allow a nap up to 15m earlier if needs be and BT for up to 30m earlier if needs be bit stick with it!!

H x

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 22:22:58 pm »
Thanks-it's the chattering before falling asleep I don't get, he used to go down an straight to sleep, tonight (for baby sitter) he went diwn at 7-then chatted till 8:20! Deary me! I'm guessing a 5:30 wake up again :(

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 07:22:32 am »
4:50 awake, so we're averaging 8-9 hours sleep a night-normally 12! I need to get him some more sleep.... Should I bring nap forward and let him sleep as long  as he needs or should I do super EBT??? Everyone's exhausted

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 19:20:44 pm »
Hi,

We brought the nap forward to 12.30 and let R sleep as long as she needed for a few days to combat the OT. Then once the OT was under control, I think we left the nap at 12.30 but capped at 2h with a BT of between 6.30/45 ( as opposed to 6.45/7) depending on how exhausted I was!!!!

Hth x

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 07:05:58 am »
I think that's my plan I did 12:30 nap yest but capped at 2hrs. We went down better at BT-ie only chattered for 30mins! So was asleep by 7! Was still up at 5:30-it's like out OT wake up call! Will let you know x

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 14:58:23 pm »
So did 12:30 nap-he slept for 2.25hr then BT at 6:30-finally asleep by 7:04-this chattering thing drives me nuts! He was up at 6! :) so did nap at 1-woke after 1.5hrs and did BT at 7-didn't go to sleep till nearly 8, NW at 2, woke at 5-resettled back to sleep till 6:20 :( I put him down today at 12:30-took a bit to settle and woke at 2:15-so gonna do early BT 6:30...... Am totally knackered and full on confused if he's OT (I think) due to early wake up-but chatters away at BT-is the coz of language development? Sorry for all questions....

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 23:08:24 pm »
Lots of questions? I only spotted one! Yes ime it's was mainly down to developmental stuff but for us an element of OT. R responds to OT in one of two ways usually. Either monster like behaviour and a seeming separation anxiety and sleep time or secondly goes to bed like an Angel child and is so OT, she'll just keep chatting and end up waking earlier than she Normally would, ending up with a 10/10.5h night ( which for her is short)

Advice? Don't try and work it out, it will drive you around the bend. Easier said than done when you're in the middle of it, but having btdt, I can say it!!! Stick as closely up your rotine as he will allow and manage the OT the best you can along the way.

Hth xx
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:57:18 am by HenaV »