Author Topic: Getting two year old to eat with fork and spoon...  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Matka

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
  • "Brother's don't shake hands, brother's gotta hug!
Getting two year old to eat with fork and spoon...
« on: December 26, 2007, 23:02:01 pm »
I think I may need encouragement more than anything else ::)...

Ds is two years old and does not eat consistently with a fork and spoon.  I know it is mainly my fault as I have a problem with him getting messy and having food end up on my floor (New Year's resolution #4 - Lighten up and quit being such a neat freak!).  If I load the spoon/fork with food, he's really good about getting it to his mouth most times, but he won't stab or scoop on his own.  Usually, he just picks stuff up with his hands and eats it.  Okay for sandwitches, not okay with cottage cheese!  I think by now he should be doing this on his own.  Any tips on how you got your lo's to do it?
Kathy-Ann
Wife to Big Dude, Mom to Clara the one-eyed Cat, Sean Henry, and Mark Daniel
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1046198.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1150719.png[/img]

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: Getting two year old to eat with fork and spoon...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 23:10:54 pm »
Kathy-Ann.  This is a constant battle but one that we have to go easy with.  I worry that if I nag too much then I might put her off eating and she is so good.  If I catch her eating with her fingers I put the fork into her hand and say 'come on, you are a big girl now so eat properly please'  and she does a few mouthfuls with her fork.  It;s also a matter of practice so the more he does it then the better he will get. 

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 03:13:59 am »
We've taken the approch (like with most things) of stepping back and letting DD show the way. At 2 you cannot expect a child to consistently use a fork, or a spoon. Really its about practice. DD does pretty well, but she too gets tired of the fork after a while. Dextarity is still limited for them and it can actually get pretty sore for them using a fork or spoon. One doesn't think about it because its second nature, but really look at how many muscles are used for eating with utencils.

Toddler friendly utencils help. Ones with thicker, shorter handles. It makes it easier for them to grib (since its usually a full fisted grip anyway.) and when its shorter it means it more likly it will actually make it to their mouth.

We introduced DD to a spoon at 10 months because she would always take our, but we've never really pushed it. We leave her to it. If she uses it then great if not its not worth a battle. Forks she's now had for about 6-7 months. She stuggles with them more because she wants to stab but can't.

She see's us use them all the time and I find that helps too. Give yourself and your LO a brake :) they'll master the spoons and forks when they're ready. Basically have it there for them, encourage them, but don't force them.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 13:57:40 pm »
Totally agree with Kimberly! DD will sometimes use a spoon or fork herself, sometimes only hands and sometimes needs us to help her load up the fork or spoon. All is OK with us and remember - the won't be 18 and needed your help to eat!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

andibig

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 19:36:00 pm »
DD still struggles with a fork -well has great fun stabbing everything!!!-but gives it a go and ends up using her hands in the end.
I'm pretty relaxed if she wants to do that esp if shes hungry and wants to get food in her mouth quick-LOL.we occ give her a knife (toddler friendly one) and she does attempt to use that as well.

Offline Matka

• Showing Appreciation 46
  • "Brother's don't shake hands, brother's gotta hug!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 19:58:38 pm »
Thanks ladies!  You've all made me feel better about it.  You're right, he's only two, and while I think he's genius, it is a lot to ask ;).  We'll just keep trying and let him guide us.
Kathy-Ann
Wife to Big Dude, Mom to Clara the one-eyed Cat, Sean Henry, and Mark Daniel
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1046198.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1150719.png[/img]