Author Topic: OT DD - can't catch her up  (Read 2717 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
OT DD - can't catch her up
« on: June 20, 2014, 04:49:58 am »
DD is really OT. We have a 2 wk old boy which is an adjustment in itself but we had to spend five nights in hospital after he was born as he had a suspected chest infection. DD managed ok but only just about coped. It took it's toll on her. I've been trying to catch her up ever since.

This morning she was up at 5.20am. I wanted a 7pm BT last night but she won't settle until 7.30. She is mostly sttn but not always as she has become quite anxious with the big change and DS taking up a good chunk of my time.

How do I catch her up? She won't settle at BT and then she's up super early.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as she's knackered and it's not helping her behaviour during the day. She's not getting much more than 10-10.5 hours per night.

*Kate*

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
Re: OT DD - can't catch her up
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:47:27 am »
Does ebt work for her? Dd sometimes takes forever to settle and I have tried ebt to get her asleep by a more reasonable time. Figure if she is going to lie there singing and chatting away she can do it earlier in the night and hopefully be asleep by her usual bt!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:18:45 am »
Was going to suggest the same - if she's up that early I'd be tempted to try a 6/6.30 BT.  Or would she take a catnap in the car then do 7pm?

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 06:25:29 am »
I agree with Katherine. R still naps so that helps, but even then if we have to catch her up then we throw in an extra CN in the car, say for 20minutes and then BT 12.5/13h after WU.

What do you think?

H

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:42:20 am »
Thanks ladies. I can try an EBT. I put her to bed at 6.30 last night and she was asleep at 7.30. Would 6pm be ok tonight or earlier?
She doesn't nap, hasn't since she was 2. She never sleeps in the car, I'd have to drive around for an hour or more and she might nod off but it's unlikely. She had always fought sleep!

*Kate*

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 07:23:21 am »
With my dd I make bt earlier in 15min increments,  I did a 30min bt difference one time and it wasn't pretty!

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 09:38:02 am »
Given that she's OT, iiwm I would put her to bed at 6pm. That way she may be asleep BT 7pm following her current pattern and may get a better nights sleep? I'd say it was worth a shot at least x

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:52:37 am »
If EBT doesn't work, a DVD just after lunch helps to catch my DS up with himself. Make it a special thing, with popcorn etc and he's even happier!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 12:05:39 pm »
I'll try an EBT. We've had a very quiet day, she hasn't wanted to go anywhere and Im happy as Im very tired with a two week old! Probably had more screen time than Im happy with but it's only one day. Thanks for your posts. Fingers crossed she'll be asleep at 7 at the latest!

*Kate*

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 12:13:46 pm »
When mine are really ot we do bedtime at 5/5.30 - we have ended up with a couple of 15h nights that way!

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 12:53:15 pm »
15hrs!!!!! Wow! I'd be so worried about dd if she slept that long but it would be wonderful to catch her up!

*Kate*

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 18:44:18 pm »
I put her to bed at 5.50pm as she was melting down at the slightest thing. She still wasn't asleep an hour later. So I sat on her bed and hummed twinkle twinkle and she was asleep in ten minutes. Not something I wanted to do but she is so tired that she just can't switch off. She's bad enough at switching off when she's not OT. Im just hoping she'll sleep well and not have an EW.

*Kate*

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 18:52:33 pm »
I would definitely go with super ebts. Hope your earlier night works! Apop all the way IMO - we don't really have problems with me doing stuff like singing/staying with LJ when she's ot. She just needs to catch up! We go through cycles with early wake ups and we always always always get around it by super ebts. Recently, I questioned myself when I was putting her to bed at 5pm lol - but I needn't have! I know it is what she needs and it always seems to do the trick fx lol xxx

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 20:33:04 pm »
Thanks. I did wonder if I should've gone earlier but I hadn't done her tea yet. Still working things out with DS only just turning up. Fingers crossed she pulls a longer night - Im not sure as she was so OT at BT. Will definitely go earlier if we have another EW. And if I can, as it's the weekend, Ill APOP if she's struggling

*Kate*

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 20:55:07 pm »
Definitely sit with her if she needs it, and I would throw in some cuddling time on the sofa or on the bed during the day if she's really tired.  Imagine how reassuring she would find it. :) 

You're doing really well, it's a big change.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 07:58:55 am »
Thanks Anne. So tired this morning, I was quite tearful. DP got up with the kids though so I've caught up a little. She was Up at 5.20, ugh. And a NW at 1am. It's going to be a long day. I'll make sure she's in her bed for 5.30.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:04:22 am by *foxy* »

*Kate*

Offline weaver

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 08:21:05 am »
((HUGS)) for the tears.  I'm the same when I'm *that* tired, and there are weepy hormones about for you too, so go easy on yourself.  Rest as much as you can over the weekend.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline clazzat

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 09:42:11 am »
Definitely do whatever she needs without worrying about it - if there are consequences you can face them later when you are all in a slightly better way, and if, as is much more likely, there aren't then you have done what she needed from you.  I remember the adjustment to 2 being really really hard, so go easy on yourself.  It will all pass.  It's also worth bearing in mind that her world has been turned upside down too, and some of this might actually just be to do with her adjusting to a new sibling.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 16:50:45 pm »
Thanks for your posts and the hugs - I need them atm. It is tough adjusting to two and I know DD although she loves her new brother, is finding the new dynamics tiring. She finds new experiences challenging and this is one of the bigger ones. Plus we are all still recovering from me and DS being in hospital for 5 days. DD found that really hard. DS takes up a lot of my time (obviously) and DD has to get used to that. I do try to make sure me and her have some time just the two of us each day. It's hard not to feel guilty and I have snapped at her when Im especially tired which I then feel terrible about.

Just doing BT now. I'm hoping she's asleep by 6.30..........

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 18:29:57 pm »
Hugs Kate, hoping you get a good night.  Right there with you in the adjustment period xx

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 19:07:05 pm »
Hi Katherine. Hope you're doing ok?

Asleep at 6.05! I just sat with her until she fell asleep. Im hoping this will help to catch her up.

*Kate*

Offline clazzat

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 21:02:58 pm »
Fingers crossed for a good long night.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 06:43:16 am »
Hmmm, 3 NW's and up at 5.40am. Not sure if she'll be much more rested! This is tough with a newborn waking me up too.

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 07:23:02 am »
It isn't so much about OT is it? It's needing reassurance etc. it should pass over soon once things settle a little  :-* :-*.

It is hard getting up to 2 children, it is tiring  :-\. But pretty common. I told my Megan about the pregnancy on Friday, and she has been up at night since then!! To ask questions, and give kisses  ::). Sweet enough, but I guess she is unsettled underneath.

Is your new LO difficult in the evening yet? Def try and get DD to sleep before NB sillies start. That way she gets her calm bedtime (and prob a bit of a ebt as well  ;)).

My Megan was an early nap drop, and won't take car naps either, so really the OT just has to work its way through doesn't it?? Eventually my Megan has a lie in, but no telling when

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 07:55:18 am »
She definitely needs reassuring atm. She told me she gets tired when Im feeding DS. She was asleep at 6.15 last night and only woke bc DS cried a bit during the night. DP went in and she seemed to settle back ok. She's got white noise in her room but her hearing seems to be very sensitive - she's HS. She woke at 5.40am. Might try BT 15 mins later tonight if she looks like she can handle that

DS was cranky all yesterday. He didn't really settle very well all day but it was very hot here. DD was terrible in the evening so we might get the same again with DS.

*Kate*

Offline weaver

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 09:10:41 am »
She told me she gets tired when Im feeding DS.
Will she snuggle up with the two of you? Do you think you could manage that?  She could have a cuddle, maybe a story or something, while DS feeds. 

Keep on going, one day at a time, it's the only way at this stage.  (())

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 09:33:18 am »
Yes I said to her that we could have a cuddle whilst I feed DS. I know she's struggling with the adjustment but like you say, we'll just take each day as it comes.

*Kate*

Offline clazzat

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 18:34:21 pm »
I used to feed dd2 while I was singing dd1 bedtime songs, then I would put dd2 in her cot and go back to dd1 for a short story and goodnight.  Even if dd2 wasn't settled at that point, it was such a short time and it made dd1 feel that she had my undivided attention at least for a little bit before bed - I think it did help to reassure her.