Author Topic: What if he won't take a pacifier?  (Read 960 times)

Offline sillennyl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 11, 2006, 06:53:15 am »
I'm thrilled to find the EASY method and want to get my 3-month old son into this routine. Currently he is sleeping with me at night, although he does sleep in the crib for his naps (I am trying to get him to sleep in the crib at night, too). However, I am nursing him to sleep, which is wreaking havoc on me since every time he awakens I have to nurse him back to sleep...  He has never liked a pacifier and still won't take one. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm desperate!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: What if he won't take a pacifier?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 12:54:13 pm »
hi,

what's happened is you've taught him to sleep at night by nursing, so now you need to break this association.  here's a post for you to read, with all sorts of useful info in it.  really, you only need to read the initial post, and find the stuff that pertains to you.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=24669.0

you will need to form a plan, and then commit to stick to it.  if you have questions about what your options are, please post back and we'll do our best to help you!   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline sillennyl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 19:45:53 pm »
Thanks so much, I'll check out that link. I did finally get my son to sleep in his crib last night by letting him tummy sleep. He does very well tummy sleeping for his naps but I've been afraid to let him tummy sleep at night b/c I can't check on him as frequently (if I want to get any sleep too!) but I decided to try it last night and he did just fine in the crib. I still nursed him until he was almost asleep but when I put him down he went straight off to dreamland. He did still awaken at his usual times but I suspect out of habit, not out of a real need to nurse. That's where the pacifier would come in handy - Like Tracy said in her book, I could give him the "dummy" at those times so he'd go back to sleep, but he won't take it so there's my dilemma. Maybe the site you sent me will help. I do have a bedtime routine in place for him and I'm fairly certain his night wakings are a habit, not a need. But I'll take it one thing at a time.... sleep in the crib, then work on the nursing issue. Thanks again!

Offline Kayla's mom and dad

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • sdfsdfsdf
Re: What if he won't take a pacifier?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 07:44:30 am »
Luckily your baby is young enough to get out of the bad habit of nursing to sleep pretty quickly (hopefully). Have you tried to find the smallest pacifier they sell? Just keep trying to tickle the roof of his mouth(palette) with it. You can try to give it to him right after he feeds while he's still in sucking mode. As for him sleeping on his back, that might be a scary decision you're making doing that. Have you tried swaddling him and propping him on his side with a rolled up receiving blanket?

Jamie is mum to Kayla born Dec.3rd 2005 6 pounds 9 ounces