Author Topic: How and when to transition from carseat sleeping to her crib  (Read 1459 times)

Offline cassidy&Jamie'smom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How and when to transition from carseat sleeping to her crib
« on: December 31, 2005, 18:49:04 pm »
DD is just over 5 wks.  She was also recently diagnosed with reflux and is on zantac 2x a day.  She seems to settle much easier in her carseat for sleep so that is where she has been napping and sleeping (or in the baby bjorn carrier on me).

I find her very hard to soothe when she is fussy.  Doesn't like being in any one position too long and is only happy if being held AND walked.  You can jiggle and bounce all you like but she has SOME WAY of knowing if you are sitting and not standing! Amazng!

Once asleep i am only successful getting her down in her carseat.  And even then it is challenging.

My question is; should i be worried about this "accidental parenting"?  Or is she still young enuf that the habit will be easy enuf to break?  AND when we do take the plunge, HOW should i do it? daytim or nitetime sleep first?  Any tips?

My older dd slept in her carseat for 7 wks and eventually grew to love her crib.  BUT she was an angel/textbook baby and Jamie I have yet to figure out but have already ruled out those categories.  Or is it too early to tell?  maybe I'll save that qtn for a nother post...

TIA
Sheri

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
How and when to transition from carseat sleeping to her crib
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 18:16:29 pm »
First off sorry your sweet one has reflux, we have it here, too.  My son slept in his car seat until probably about 3.5 months.  It was just kind of obvious that he wasn't comfortable in there any more.  You would be surprised how many babies end up sleeping in the carseat.  It is such a secure feeling for them - even if they are swaddled.  For the few mommy's I have spoken to IRL who have done this, it was a pretty easy transition as well.  For refluxers it is a dream come true because they can't get comfortable on their back to sleep as it aggrivates the reflux and if you don't feel comfortable tummy or side sleeping then the car seat it is!  I always kept the car seat in his crib, though.  I did transition DS to side sleeping with a sleep positioner.  He has from day one had good head control and has always been able to move his head easily from side to side so although I was worried, I witnessed him turn his head while on his side or wiggled to his tummy on more than one occaision and he has no problem.  Also his mattress is a hard as a rock! and no bumpers on the crib.

I think that for reflux babies you have to think about survival through this stage first and you almost have to deal with the accidental parenting later.  I held DS for every nap for about a month and it just took a weekend to transition him to the crib for naps.  It is amazing that if - at least for us - you cue in you can tell when they are ready.  I seemed to have timed the taking away of the pacifier well also.  Now I am not patting myself on the back, in general he is a horrible sleeper/napper.  But a few things have gone easily. :roll:

I used a lot of techniques from Happiest Baby on the Block for the first 3 months.  It uses a lot of props, but they helped tremendously.  It wasn't a miracle - he didn't instantly fall asleep at the sight of his swaddle like the books claim could happen, but it really really helped us through some bad nights/naps.

I guess from one Mom of a refluxer who has been through it to another, give youself  and your baby a break in these first 3 months or so.  Maybe just a few things to start with like the eat - activity - sleep and keeping the carseat in the crib but that is it for your baby for now.   

Hopefully there will be some others with thoughts on this for you.  There is also a reflux forum here........

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12