Author Topic: 2 yo on food strike  (Read 2206 times)

Offline joho74

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 22, 2010, 01:28:04 am »
My 2yo has never been a good eater. He is very picky but at least the foods he likes he did eat a fair amount off. He won't try new things and has never eaten things like bread, cake, meat, etc. The things he eats/ has eaten before are dry cereal, yoghurt, grated cheese, plain rice with soup, plain noodles with soup, pumpkin soup, french fries. That's all he has ever eaten in his life. Once upon a time he loves oatmeal but he has stopped eating that a few month ago.

He loves milk. Since a month ago, he went on a food strike eating nothing for days at a time only drinking milk. He drinks milk 3x a day but at bedtime he asks for 2-3 cups (he drinks from sippy). On good days he eats 2-8 teaspoonfuls of rice. Since 3 days ago he started asking for soup and has been eating 1-2 small bowls of cream of pumpkin soup (we make our own and I add potato and chicken in it for more nutrients) per meal but again not every meal. Some meals still zero food.

It is a nightmare getting him to eat. He doesn't seem hungry and never asks for food. When he is hiungry he will ask for milk. If we don't give him after a while, he forgets about it and not bothered. He has gone from bedtime milk at 8pm to the next day naptime milk at 2pm with no food in between.

Should I be worried? His weight is fine 33 pounds at 26 months.  He is a stubborn, spirited child, very strong willed.

Offline Casseopea

• *Kimberly*
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Brendan and Keira
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:06 am »
My first thought is that he is filling up on milk.  You might try using the milk as an incentive to get him to eat something.  Tell him that he has to eat so much food before he can get his milk.  You can start small, a couple of bites gets him a glass of milk, and then move to more and more food before he gets any milk.  I know my 2yo daughter LOVES milk and would fill up on milk at some meals if we let her so we have to be careful.  You might also set a limit for milk per day and then tell him he gets water (you can also do it per meal if that is easier for him to understand).  And keep offering him different and new things to eat.  At 2 he is getting old enough to understand the "you have to try at least one bite" concept.  And keep doing what your doing- adding more nutrients to the foods that he will eat.  He is a good weight (my 2yo is only 25lbs) so you don't need to worry that he will waste away if he misses a couple of meals.  If it continues and doesn't seem to be just a 2yo/strong-willed thing then I would make an appt with your doctor just to talk to her/him about it and make sure there isn't anything else going on.

HTH  :)

Offline joho74

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 13:18:26 pm »
I know that he drinks a lot of milk but when they don't eat you sort of think that ' At least they are drinking milk' KWIM? He doesn't get milk with his meals though so by meal time I would think he would be hungry. He gets milk at these times- Wake up 630am, before nap 130pm, before bed 8pm. Its a lot of hours from milk to his next meal so I would think he would be hungry.

Breakfast is at 8am and sometimes he eats a few as in 2-3 spoons of dry cereal, sometimes nothing. He goes to nursery and they have snack at 930am, sometimes he eats 1-2 pcs of biscuits, sometimes nothing. Lunch is at 1230pm at home and again either nothing or on good days a few as in less than 5 spoons of food. Then its milk before naptime. He downs 1-2 cups cos he is hungry. After nap at 330pm we offer him a snack, usually biscuits he eats 1-2 pcs. Dinner is at 6pm again nothing or a few spoons of food. Bedtime is the worse he is hungry from not eating the whole days and asks for more and more milk (he drinks about 15oz at bedtime in the span of 1 hr !)

He is very strong willed and won't even take a single bite for any incentive. He is downing his milk because he is hungry, but I don't think he is not eating because of too much milk. He was drinking the same amount of milk and eating ok last month.

he is also hving sleep issues at bedtime since this food strike started and I think it is due to hunger. It has taken me 2 hrs every night to put him to bed and bedtime is now at 10pm! Hv started a thread on the sleep board. Everything is such a nightmare!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 16:40:03 pm »
Hey!!  Have been keeping an eye for your post! 

How much milk is in a sippy?  What type of milk is in the sippy?

How much does he have on wake up?
At lunch?
Bedtime is 15 oz right?

The food standards agency recommendations between 2-3 LOs need 350g of calcium a day which equals 300mls of milk.  That works out just over 10oz of milk in a day. And they have made the change from full fat milk at this stage or least half way through the change. 

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/milkanddairy/

Kids Health recommend 2 cups of milk in a day but say that can be taken up by yogurts, cheese etc to make up the recommended calcium amount.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/food/general/toddler_food.html#

He is downing his milk because he is hungry, but I don't think he is not eating because of too much milk. He was drinking the same amount of milk and eating ok last month

There is a big drop in appetite at around 2 as the rate of growing decreases.  It could be that is what has happened.  Although he was eating ok a while back and still having that amount of milk and now not suggests to me that his appetite has decreased so therefore he is just filling up on milk.  He is having more milk at bedtime than is recommended in a day so I definately think it will be affecting him eating solids.  At this age milk doesn't sustain LOs for as long so although his hunger is staved with all the milk he is probably not totally satisfied but not hungry enough to try the solids. 

Have you ever spoken to your doctor or been referred to the a dietician?  Any issues with textures or swallowing etc?  It is important that your LO learns to eat a healthy balanced diet.  He is eating some really healthy foods though which is great so at least you have something to work off.  I have worked with LOs who will only eat crisps!  The other important thing with solids is that eating foods like bread and meat work and help all the muscles used to speech to develop and continue to help them develop.  Speech sounds develop until LO are 5-7 so its important all these muscles get exercised and develop.   

To be honest I would pick a few days when you know you have time to devote to this (maybe a weekend?) and cut the milk dramatically.  It will take 3-5 days  for you to see an improvement so don't be discouraged, but I do think until you cut the milk you will have no success with solids.  I would also start as you mean to go on and offer foods you prepare for yourself and your 5 YO.   Some parents cut the liquids and then get into the habit of preparing and serving the 2-3 foods the LO will eat.  It is better to start as you mean to go on.   Just prepare the meal, present it and if he doesn't eat it thats ok.  Just move on.  I wouldn't bribe or try to cajole him at all.  If he is spirited and stubborn he needs to decide for himself to eat.  Once he realises the milk is not appearing he will eat!  You can try (if he has a big enough variety of foods he will eat) to have one of those foods at each meal so he will be more encouraged to eat.  If he refuses to eat, just let him go but keep it.  If he asks for milk to fill up on you can say 'there is no milk but here is your food from earlier' and provide it.  I can't imagine he'll be happy but in a few days if he realises you mean business he'll start to eat. 

How do you think that would work?

HTH x

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: 2 yo on food strike
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:31:49 am »
I completely agree with Shiv.  Whenever we have eating issues we have cut down the milk and it has helped.  My DS has one sippy of about 3oz in the morning and then 5oz just before bed.  Only water to drink in the rest of the day. He isn't the world's greatest eater either but we offer the food at regular intervals and don't allow him to fill up on milk or other snacks.  If a toddler is hungry they will eat. 

Let us know how you're getting on. :)
LAURA xx

Offline joho74

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 13:11:11 pm »
Hi Shiv,

I spent an hr reading a few threads in this group yesterday. Seems that you are quite the guru on eating here!!

He drinks powdered cows milk in a sippy but the lies down while drinking it. I am from Asia and fresh cows milk is quite expensive here so most people give kids formula/powdered milk. I dilute it by half of the recommended concentration because he drinks so much. Also today was the first day of another brand with less fat in it.

Morning when wake up- 1 sippy cup about 6-7oz (sometimes he doesn't finish)
Naptime - 1-2 sippy cups about 6-12 oz
Bedtime - 2-3 sippys about 12-15oz (2nd and 3rd I just give him half full)

It's a LOT ya? but again diluted to half strength.

Anyway since last night, food strike seems to be over, fingers crossed. Last night's dinner he ate about 10 spoons of rice and clear soup and today's lunch a small bowl of noodles and a few spoons of his usual pumpkin soup, a yoghurt and a few grapes. Dinner today we ate out japanese food and he ate 3 helpings (very small ones) of ramen noodles. When we were ordering he told me that he wanted noodles. He has never asked for food before. And also at naptime only 1 sippy of milk and now bedtime (he just fell asleep) only 1 sippy. I think the eating is helping!!

He eats just these things:

Plain rice with clear soup spooned over it
Plain noodles in soup (I vary the type of noodles and he is ok with it)
Pumpkin soup
Dry cereal (he likes the sweeter types :( eg coco balls,)
Grated chedder cheese
Yoghurt
Grapes
Biscuits

Junk food like french fries, crisps, peanuts, ice cream, chocolate he can eat a lot of

Even though they are all the few things that he ate before i can't complain. As long as it is not unhealthy. It's mostly carbs, he doens't get much protein except for the chicken blended in his pumpkin soup and from the cheese.

So it's not a texture thing cos he loves junk food! He is 26 months and his speech development is normal. He can speak in sentences now of about 6-7 words.

Should I just keep giving him what he will eat? I was doing that before as it was easy and it wasn't unhealthy. Actually I am not too concerned as his meal is quite balanced, carbs from rice or noodles, veg from pumpkin soup (I also blend some brocolli and potato in) and protein from chicken and cheese. He used to that EVERY meal.

If we go out I either feed him at home first or try to find someplace with rice or noodles (we are in Asia it's easy) or buy some french fries! He eats better at home than outside isn't that strange? And even in nursery he doensn't eat unless it's biscuits. Really a spirited one this fella! He hasn't eaten anything new since forever!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 13:22:05 pm »
Loving junk food doesn't necessarily rule out a texture problem. Josie gagged on lettuce for the longest time when she was little, and she won't drink anything powdered. She also won't touch anything fizzy, which is great because she won't drink soda but a pain when she won't drink good fizzy stuff like kefir. My younger child isn't able to get eggs past her throat because of the texture, but will happily eat bread with anything on it. ::)

I'd be concerned about diluting the milk too much as well, as he'd also only be getting a smaller portion of any nutrients in the milk to begin with. It does sound like he was filling up on them, though. You might try making a smoothie, perhaps with yogurt and fruit in a blender; this can be drink or frozen and made into popsicles. :) I would also suggest only letting him have his drinks where he has his meals, instead of laying down.

How much physical activity does he get? I find that when I run my kids ragged, they inhale their meals and ask for more!

Along with the soups you make, you can also puree some green veggies into the mix.

Is he at least getting a high-quality vitamin? There are some good-quality calcium supplements available as well that you might want to investigate.

Will he eat/drink things with coconut milk? He's still at an age where he NEEDS to have some good fats for brain/nerve development, and coconut can be a fantastic source of those.

Just some random thoughts. :)

Offline joho74

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 00:59:03 am »
He doesn't get that much physical activity. He goes to nursery and they play in the yard for 30 mins before school starts. We live in the tropics and the heat and humidity doesn't allow that much outdoor play. Once a week we go to indoor playgyms and 2x a week or so we swim. Even after 1 hr of swimming his appetite is still the same.

Oh I had no idea what a texture problem is then. Problem is he wont even try the food. He has never gagged on any food but then he hasn't had any new foods past his mouth before. has never eaten bread!!

I think he gets plenty of calcium from milk, yoghurt and cheese. It's mostly the protein that I am worried about. He does take a multivitamin and I add some omega 3 fish oil to his milk everyday. Will look into coconut oil. Thanks

Offline joho74

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 12:55:38 pm »
Today was the first time he asked to try chicken (it was KFC). I ordered for my other son and he said he wanted some and took 2 bites! Didn't want any after that but I am so happy!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 11:00:11 am »
Great news about the chicken!  And the fact he's eating better in general.  Thats great news! 

Morning when wake up- 1 sippy cup about 6-7oz (sometimes he doesn't finish)
Naptime - 1-2 sippy cups about 6-12 oz
Bedtime - 2-3 sippys about 12-15oz (2nd and 3rd I just give him half full)

It's a LOT ya? but again diluted to half strength.

Yeah it is a lot and to be honest it doesn't really matter that its diluted as its just the sheer volume that is the issue.  If he were drinking that amount of water or juice it would still be an issue.   The liquid will just fill his tummy and curb his hunger.

Should I just keep giving him what he will eat? I was doing that before as it was easy and it wasn't unhealthy. Actually I am not too concerned as his meal is quite balanced, carbs from rice or noodles, veg from pumpkin soup (I also blend some brocolli and potato in) and protein from chicken and cheese

I think that is totally up to you.  With toddlers the important thing is to provide meals, not provide alternatives if they refuse and let them make the choice to eat.    One thing you could do is provide a smaller portion of 'his' food alongside something else he hasn't eaten and just like the chicken you may find he will be curious to try it.   I would totally limit 'junk' food to one very small portion a day. 

Personally I probably would increase the variety of foods that he eats.   When you look at guidelines and how much of each type of food group you should be eating (so am thinking of the 'eat a rainbow' recommendation where it is advised that in a week you eat fruit and veg from each of the colours of the rainbow) I don't think his diet covers him.   I would just start offering him foods he will eat alongside some new foods.  I would also start introducing more textures.  So more chunks of chicken as opposed  to shredding it into soup.  Chunks of pumpkin etc.  Offer him bread and encourage him to dip it into his soup.  Small steps and all that!

Not make a big deal but just offer the opportunity.  Does your other son eat lots of foods your 2 YO doesn't?  Is you LO interested in watching his big brother as that could be a way to encourage him to eat. 

{{{hugs}}}  So pleased he is eating better.  Hope he keeps it up xx

Offline joho74

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 15:45:41 pm »
Well he is eating some food already but still his usual ones. Never wanted another bite of chicken since that day!

My 5yo is not a fussy eater although he is a small eater. As I said peer pressure does nothing to LO. He is in nursery and they provide snacks in the morning and he only eats if it's biscuits.

He is definately not eating the rainbow- the only fruits and veg he eats are pumpkin and grapes.

Hope he grows out of it soon. I was a fussy/small eater when I was a kid but now I eat everything!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 17:45:36 pm »
I'd just keep offering and limiting junk and hopefully he'll try new things soon once he realises its no big deal.   Keep an eye in case he starts limiting himself again.  But hopefully cutting the milk will really help xx

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 18:46:45 pm »
Just a thought, but I thought I'd throw it out there ... are there any molars on the way? DD gets really fussy and goes on food strike when her gums hurt.
Andi

Offline joho74

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 14:08:20 pm »
I think his molars are out already. I am really not sure (can't tell). Sadly today he ate only pumpkin soup for lunch and dinner no carbs at all.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 14:37:21 pm »
He will also be getting animal proteins from the dairy, so as long as he has dairy, he has protein. It's other nutrients I'd be concerned about, but if he also has a good vitamin/mineral supplement that can get him through for now.

Also, if he's eating yogurt, any number of foods can be pureed into yogurt. I've had success especially with orange/yellow veg like squash and carrots and sweet potato, but you can also sneak in some pureed greens like spinach or kale, even tiny bits. Fruits can easily be added to yogurt with no additional sweetening, plus that flavor can hide a bit of kale or spinach or other greens. I also use yogurt in smoothies the kids and I can drink from time to time, and if you serve them in a colored and covered cup they can't see the color so they don't know it's green. LOL

Especially since you're in Asia, definitely take advantage of coconut products: milk, oil, and meat. All super-healthy!