Author Topic: Question about A time during 2-1 transition  (Read 8276 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Question about A time during 2-1 transition
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 22:07:58 pm »
It's just an option, some LOs will go with that solution. Mine with 7am WU is going for (already UT) nap at 11:30 but at 9:00 he looks like he would dream of a short nap:). You may also APOP in a pram or car seat.
But as I said, it's just an option and depends on your LO and how you think she will manage it.
~Marta

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 06:01:38 am »
She woke at 5.32 this morning so a good 12.5hr stretch! Woo! What time do you think I should put her down for her first nap? Assuming she takes 1.5/2 hr nap, what time shpuld bedtime be? I really appreciate you taking the time to help, thanks so much x

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 06:50:36 am »
Hi, I'm back! So sorry, my internet has been down for two days. Thanks so, so much Martii xx

A 12hr night is great, I personally wouldn't try a CN today unless you are wanting to move the whole day forwards and get to a decent BT. Just like Martii said earlier really, or else you could try one nap and keep to a 12 hr day max. If you wanted to do one nap, perhaps try around 11am with a 5.30 wu? If not, maybe try a CN at around 8.30 for 15mins and see if you can get her to 12.30 for a nap. If she sleeps 1.5-2hrs for her second nap, you could then do BT at around 6.30/6.45? Up to you really hun, could try for the CN and if that fails try the one nap?

Let us know how it goes and please accept my apologies for being AWOL xx

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 07:04:31 am »
No problem Kelly! Happy to help here as we are going through the same with DS now...
Totally agree with Kelly's advice of either one nap at 11 or two nap day with short catnap in the morning.

If you decide to go for second option, I am thinking if you shouldn't do something more to discourage dd from waking at 5:30. Have you thought of w2s? I start to think that maybe this waking is partially habitual now so except from a good routine, you could do that. I imagine that w2s at 4:30 will be difficult but... Maybe it will help..? Kelly, WDYT?
~Marta

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 07:23:44 am »
Hi Kelly!
Ideally I'd like to get her back to a bedtime closer to 7, as I have a 4 year old who has his tea around ( and she used to have it with him). Some questions if you don't mind :

- if I went for 5.30 bedtime ( so one nap and 12 hr day max), how long would this 5/5.30-5/5.30 day go on for?
- if I went for a one nap, do you think doing a nap at 11-1, then bedtime at 6 would work, or pushing even further, 11.30-1.30 nap, bedtime at 6.30? Her day would be longer than 12hrs though.
- if I did 2 catnaps, is there a particular reason you recommend doing the catnap in the morning rather than late afternoon (say after 10.30-12.30 nap)?

Thanks so much kelly

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 07:29:08 am »
Thanks Martii, I did also think about W2S but her wake up hasn't been 5.30 consistently, it's sometimes 20 min earlier, sometimes 10min later x

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 07:35:19 am »
Sorry I didn't finish sentence saying my 4 year old has tea around 5.30 (sometimes 6).

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 07:40:11 am »
And sorry I meant, if I did 1 catnap!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 10:41:34 am »
Two ways really hun. You could stick with the set nap and BT ie the 11am nap and 5.30 BT, but I think you'd have to give it a good while for her,to get used to it. Perhaps 2 weeks or so? Then You could look at shifting the day like we do with daylight savings, so pushing the nap and BT back by 15mins every 3 days or so. Again, that might take another week or so to get to the times you want.

Otherwise, if you feel she could go a bit longer this morning after the 12hr night, you could try and push to 11.30 for the nap then if the nap is decent, 6pm BT.

The second option of the CN. I used to do the pm CN during the transition, however further down it, you are more than likely going to  get a pm CN refusal and therefore too lomg of an A to BT (even with an EBT) and probably make your emw worse. That's the problem there really. For us, when she used to wake at 5.30 and I wanted to shift the day on, I did what I said earlier so one CN early in the am to get her as close to her usual one nap time as possible and hope for a decent nap length. For me, the idea that the CN used to make up for the emw, then I could push the A time back to her normal nap time to be consistent.

Wrt the w2s. I love it, made my life much better when we were dealing with short naps. However I've never used it for emw. It's a really difficult one to get right as they're coming into light sleep early in the morning and there is more of a chance she'll wake up at that time completely.  That being said, many have found it really useful for dealing with emw, but for us it was either a sign the nap needed to be pushed out or teething so no amount of w2s was going to work. You could try and see though but only when you get to a later BT as after 11hrs sleep, I'd doubt it'll help her sleep longer.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 11:30:27 am »
Yes, that's my idea. I wouldn't try w2s if you put her down at 5:30pm as expecting more than 12h night sleep wouldn't be realistic. However you wrote that you were doing some two nap days and BT was later and she still woke up at 5/5:30am. So if you manage (no matter how) to put her down around 6:30 or later, I would additionally try w2s after 9,5h of sleep, hoping it will help you to go thru dreadful 5:30 am WU.
~Marta

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »
Now I'm not sure what to do. I put her down for 11, she fell asleep within minutes but woke 12.10 crying. I have been up once to shush her and it's 12.26 she hasn't fallen asleep.
What should I do now?
Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 13:02:54 pm »
Did she go back to sleep hun? If not, I might be tempted to try a CN around 4.30 for 15mins? More than likely she'll refuse it, but I did find the quiet time helped?

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 13:07:00 pm »
No she hasn't yet, she isn't crying, just is talking to herself then going quiet, talking to herself then going quiet etc. So I have left her in case she might be self settling. Do you think I should get her up now?

Offline linny75

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 13:12:32 pm »
I am going to get her up. If she does take a catnap at 4.30 what time should I make BT. What time if she doesn't take the CN?
Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 13:13:34 pm »
Yep, I'd get her up. She could've been a tad UT then. Good to know! Maybe after a 12-hr night in future we should be looking at 5hrs 15/30 A before her nap?