Author Topic: Almost 9 month old partying for 2 hours in middle of night!  (Read 2220 times)

Offline happy hollow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My beautiful boys
Almost 9 month old partying for 2 hours in middle of night!
« on: February 07, 2007, 17:19:20 pm »
I realize this is a similar topic to some other ones, but didn't know if it was OK to butt in on someone else's post!  My lo is almost 9 months, and has been a pretty good sleeper.  He used to wake about once a night, and I would go in, put his soother back in his mouth, turn on his turtle, and go back to bed.  He would fall quite quickly back to sleep.  A couple of months ago, he had a cold, where he and I would sit and rock (and read, or watch Baby Einstein if he was really upset) until the mucus had drained and he could breathe more easily.  After that, we got on track again for a couple of weeks, and now, after 2 weeks of sleeping through the night, he has been waking for 2 hours in the middle of the night.  He is on easy, and I will post his schedule.  He is a terrible bottle drinker, which sometimes messes up our schedule a bit.  2 days ago I tried dropping our 11am bottle, but he was still up last night for 2 hours, but I didn't feed him.  He doesn't seem hungry, or in pain, just awake!  He might be teething as he is chewing on his hand a bit (top teeth, he has 2 on the bottom).  I'm not suffering yet, but will be soon if we don't nip this in the bud!

7:00/7:30 am wake and bottle(8oz)
8:00 breakfast
8:30-9:30 Activity
9:30 rock and read
9:45/10:00 nap (goes down awake)
11:30/12:00 wake and bottle(tried dropping this bottle, giving him water after his lunch)
12:30 lunch
1:00-2:30 Activity
2:30/3:00 rock and read
3:00 nap (about 1-1 1/2 hours)
4:00 bottle
5:30 supper
6:00-7:00 activity
7:00-7:15 bath followed by baby massage
7:30 bottle followed by rocking and reading
usually between 7:30 and 8:00 he goes to bed

Our schedule changes according to his naps.  If he doesn't nap until at least 4:00, he'll have a cat nap at 5:00.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: Almost 9 month old partying for 2 hours in middle of night!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 18:10:04 pm »
So in the night he wakes happy? What are you doing with him when he gets up?   Have you noticed that he wakes more when he has that cat nap or when he doesn't?
Is he on solids yet?  Are there any other developmental things going on? 
 Sorry about all the questions I just think they might help us get a better picture of what is going on.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 23:02:50 pm »
Hi, just wanted to give my 2cents since our los are about the same age  ;D. I would actually bring the 2nd nap forward 30 mins and bedtime as well. So have him take the nap at 2.30pm and bedtime no later than 7.30pm. My lo can only last 3hrs of A time in the morning and afternoon and around 3.5 hrs in the evening. Unless of course something else is going on at the moment like momofclair said.

You mentioned that if he is not asleep by 4pm you give the catnap. Is he having trouble falling asleep for this nap, if so, I would definitely bring it forward as 3.5hrs of A time during the day may be too much for him.

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline happy hollow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My beautiful boys
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 15:32:48 pm »
Thanks for responding so quickly!  When he wakes in the night, I wouldn't say he is happy, but he isn't crying!   I usually wait for a bit, and if his chatter moves to a cry, I will go in.  I start by giving him his soother, turning on his turtle (baby einstein turtle, best gift I've received as he's used it to settle from day 1!!) and walking out.  If that doesn't work, I go back in, if he is really fussing I will pick him up, and sing his good night song, and then lay him back down.  He only gets tylenol if he appears to be in pain, which he hasn't been.  He only gets a bottle if I've tried everything else and it hasn't worked (usually after an hour and a half).  If he is really upset, I take him out and read to him till he starts rubbing his eyes.
Yes, he is on solids, 3x/day.  When he had the cat nap, he would sleep better at night, but it was hard to get him to go down for the cat nap, and hard to get him to go to bed.
He might be teething, but isn't in pain like the first ones.  And the little monkey isn't even trying to crawl or pull himself up yet!
Last night, he woke at about 4:00am and I just listened to hi talk for a while, and then he actually fell back asleep on his own.  But that doesn't usually happen, although I sure appreciated it! 
I'll tyr moving his nap time and bedtime forward.  My husband is the one that bathes him, and he is always pushing it back, with the thought that Ben will sleep longer if he goes to bed later!!  I think I will get him to read your posts!!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 17:29:12 pm »
An overtired baby is a horrible sleeper.  It doesn't make any sense really but when Claire has a really bad nap I know we WILL be up at night.  I think this is why I am a nap freak :)
I would try an earlier bedtime.  Let me know how that goes.  By the way, developmental things can have a big impact on sleep.  Maybe he's getting ready to debut a new trick!

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 20:20:41 pm »
My dh was exactly the same - always told me to keep her awake until she crashes and then she'll sleep later. An earlier bedtime most often solves the nightwakings with my los. They need an av 11hrs of sleep at night so I also think that an earlier bedtime will help.

Momofclair - I am the biggest sleep freak you would probably meet!!! I try so hard not to let them miss naps or have short ones. Whenever people come over I don't even care if they had only seen them for 5mins, if its nap time I take them away to bed. I feel bad and people almost always comment on me but they are not the ones who will be up all night, so I've stopped caring. People expect me to take them out at night as well to parties, etc, but there is no way I am keeping them awake till 10-11pm just for the sake of a birthday. I usually take them during the say and make sure we're back by bedtime (give or take 30mins).

Good luck and keep us posted
Layla :-*

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 20:26:37 pm »
Layla- People always say something to me also. Esp the IL's, who by the way are coming in town this weekend and most certainly will try to throw us off sch!  I put my foot down early about easy and naps they think it's crazy but hey nap time is as important as doc appt in this house  ;)

Happy Hollow-Tell dh that all the (experts   ;) ;) ) say early bedtime....

Offline Layla

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 21:49:00 pm »
Oh yeah, my IL's always have to have their say  ::). This weekend will be off for us as well. The lo will be baptised on sunday at noon and then we're having about 50 people coming back to our place. So not only will be baby not get her afternoon nap but the toddler will be up all day as well. I am considering giving her 1hr nap at 11am (if she falls asleep, that is) so that at least she won't be a total disaster by bedtime. Nightwakings here I come!!!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 21:57:33 pm »
No kidding...it seems once you get on a good sch you can predict when you will be getting up in the middle of the night.  I  have been known to tell DH on a sat, "ok we can (fill in the blank) but when she's up at 2 and 4 you're on!"  Sometimes that motivates him and others to get back home in time for naps. 
Don't even get me started on the IL's and all they say... ::)  "I read too much"  and apparently none of her children ever cried. WHAT???

Offline happy hollow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My beautiful boys
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 03:06:49 am »
Funny, my sister claims that her kids never cried either!!  I seem to recall being awakened by her kids when I stayed there!  I keep wondering when I will develop that kind of memory!!  Anyway, baby B went to bed at 7:00 tonight, so we will see how he does!  He was with his dad for his morning nap this am, as I went into town for groceries with the girls.  DH has no idea how long he slept this morning, so am not sure how his day was really (he only usually sleeps for an hour in the pm, which is what he did today).  Off to bed now...wish me luck!!
Thanks again for all your help!

Offline *Kimberly*

• Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 03:10:48 am »
My lo did the same thing!  He would wake up at about 4am and then chat or play for an hour or two and then fall abck asleep.  It never seemed to affect his naps during the day so I just kinda let him be.  One day, it just stopped.  I know that doesn't help much but I wanted to let you know I have been there.

Kimberly

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 03:12:15 am »
good luck
Let us know what happens.

Offline happy hollow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My beautiful boys
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 15:19:30 pm »
Well, he did it!!  He made a few squeaks around midnight, but nothing really.  Had I been sleeping I don't think I would have heard him.  Slept until 5:30, I went in and tucked him in, gave him his soother, and he was back to sleep until 8:00!!!!  Am prepared for this not to immediately be the norm, but it sure was nice last night!  Now, the question is, should I have woken him earlier (at 7:00, when he usually wakes up) or should I let him decide how much sleep he needs??

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 19:24:42 pm »
Great Great News.  Glad you all got some rest!
So you put him to bed early right, like 7ish?  And he slept till 8:00?  What an angel you have.  I wouldn't let him sleep past 7:30 if you want him in bed at 7:00.  Let us know how the next couple of days go.

You'll be good with this sch until the dreaded 2-1 nap switch   ;)  It's always something right?

Offline happy hollow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My beautiful boys
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 17:11:42 pm »
Thanks again for your help momofclaire!!  We had another party from 1:30-4:00 am last night, but it was following 2 solid nights of sleep, so I won't complain!  I love getting help during the day from my husband...but it seems like he always throws his schedule off!!  I think that is what happened yesterday.  I also think he is finally gearing up to crawl (or move...or do something!!!), so it could also be that.  Knowing that a full nights sleep is a possibility when I go to bed helps a LOT!
Thanks again for your help!