Author Topic: Supply dip at 8 months - what can I do?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Lewa2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Supply dip at 8 months - what can I do?
« on: April 02, 2014, 22:21:49 pm »
Hi. DS is 8 months and over the last week I've been supplementing with formula. Any advice on how to increase supply back up? He seems to be hungry either at BT or nw and will take ages to get to sleep if at all. If I give him a bottle of formula he guzzles it down then reaches for his cot and is asleep seconds later.

He has about 5 bf a day (with the occasional nighttime feed) and 3 large solid meals a day. I'm not so concerned about the size of the solid meals as he has been on them since 3.5 months (doctors orders) and my other 2 kids were really big eaters as babies too. He has had trouble bf'ing due to 2 top teeth cutting through and causing him pain over the last 2 weeks. Also I am a bit rundown with a cold that hung around for ages and has now turned into an ear infection. I was going to tough it out, but I think I'll go to the doctors for antibiotics today just so I can start feeling better quicker.

I got out my pump so I could help supply along that way, but it needs a new valve as there is no suction, hopefully it arrives in a day or two.

So what else can I do? Are all the things that you do when bub is a newborn still relevant, like eating oats and protein, taking fenugreek and blessed thistle etc?  I was on Motilium originally (DS had a milk transfer issue rather than me having a supply issue, but that is all fixed now) but a LC said that doesn't really help after 6 weeks as the hormone it mimics isn't produced by the mother anymore (or something like that, I was very tired and distressed at the consult, so I may have misheard!).

I'd love to feed DS till about 12 months and I think if I can get over this hurdle I will. I know I can mix feed as well, it just seems odd that I've lost supply all of a sudden.

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Supply dip at 8 months - what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 23:31:17 pm »
Would your period be due? And that's what's causing a dip in your supply?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 21:00:36 pm »
Being sick doesn't help. I would get to the dr for those antiBs and I expect your supply will perk up again once you fight the infection off.

I don't know about the motilium but it is worth asking the dr I would have thought. Things like fenugreek and oats help at a later age. I used both when my DS1 was 6-7mo as I wanted to be able to pump milk for his solids. They worked great.

Have a look at this FAQ for more ideas too. I'm worried I may have low milk supply
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Lewa2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 05:11:05 am »
I'm not sure about my period. Usually I don't get it till I completely stop breastfeeding. I do have a shocking case of mastitis which is not helping. Although the number of times I'm bf'ing to clear this mastitis will definitely help my supply!

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 06:19:14 am »
Oh Lewa. You're having a rough time of it, be kind to yourself.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:29:47 am »
Apparently mastitis can make the  milk taste funny too. I hope it clears up. I had that couple times with my DS2 and it was I fun at  all. Did you see the dr and get antibiotics?

Offline Lewa2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 14:55:26 pm »
Yes got antibiotics. It came on so fast, sore breast only at 10:00am to in tears from the agony plus the flu like symptoms by 12:30pm. Got the replacement valve for my pump today so bf or pumped 10 times today, and currently have a nw at midnight (the first time I'm glad of a nw). I had set my alarm for 2am when I was due to take antibiotics and thought I'd dreamfeed him then, but I'll just pump if he is sleeping since he got this sneaky feed.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 19:12:39 pm »
I hope it clears soon. I found within 24hrs of antiBs it was so much better.

Offline Lewa2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 00:05:49 am »
I'm feeling so good today, except my breast is still tender. Lucky because it is DDs 3rd birthday party tomorrow and I have a lot of things to do! I'm actually thinking this mastitis is a blessing in disguise as I'm sure my milk supply will be up shortly.