Author Topic: Dropping DF for 7.5mth?  (Read 914 times)

Offline channy13

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 05, 2014, 15:22:34 pm »
DD is EBF and STTN with a DF at 11pm. She's always stirred when I picked her up for the feed, but she'd fall back asleep while nursing. In the last week or two, however, she'll wake when going back into the crib, but settle herself after 5-10 minutes. Last night, however, wasn't so great - there was crying and PU/PD for another 30 minutes afterwards!

I'm thinking it's time to drop the DF - thoughts?

She currently BFs 4 times through the day plus the DF, so 5 times total. She also has 2 solid meals a day (breakfast and dinner). I was thinking of going to 3 meals a day, but have no idea where to fit it in as "lunch" would end up being at 2-2:30pm!

I've read some other posts and it sounds like at this age, a lot of EBF babies are getting 5-6 feeds through the day. If I drop the DF, will she be getting enough?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Dropping DF for 7.5mth?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:32 am »
What if you bring the DF a tad earlier so you catch her at a different point in her sleep cycle?

Check out our link on dropping the DF.
"How do I implement/drop the dreamfeed?"

It doesn't really matter if lunch isn't at traditional lunchtime. Check out this FAQ for example routines.
Routines for Solids and Bottles/BF's 6-12months
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline channy13

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 00:42:52 am »
I've moved the DF to 10:45, but that didn't seem to help, and now I've moved it up another 15 min to 10:30. She woke up when I put her down last night and took about 5 min to resettle, so we'll see how the next few nights go. She doesn't seem to be eating as much (one side as opposed to two some of the time), so maybe it's a sign?

Thanks for the link to the sample schedules. I'd looked at that, but still have trouble figuring out where to put the 2nd solid feed...she's only up for 3 hrs at a time and there's already a BF when she wakes up from her nap and another when she goes down. I guess I'm just worried that if she eats in between, she'll have less milk...

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 00:46:24 am »
Honestly I would not worry too much about fitting the solids in then, my 8.5 month old still only has 2 meals because we can't fit anymore in her and I don't want her formula intake to drop. It could also just be a snack too - we do part time blw so DD's supper meal is just whatever she feeds herself, which really is not much at all.
Heidi

Offline channy13

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:37 am »
Ok, thanks for the reassurance! I've heard about other babies having 3 meals + a snack at this age, so I was a bit worried I wasn't giving her enough.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 01:24:45 am »
Until they are one bm or formula should be the main source of nutrition - solid food is about fun and learning new tastes and textures! And making messes ;)
Heidi